• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB to AES/EBU: the solution?

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for the input! No problem, I was worried about the compatibility of AF200 on Mac so I decided to try Matrix X-SPDIF 2 instead, which should be no worse than AF200 based on measurements I’ve seen so far.
Yeah I expect the X-SPDIF will serve you very nicely, too.. :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think for most people it will work out better to get a decent balanced DAC which also has single ended out and toslink in as well as USB. That way the single ended output is there for subwoofers and toslink is available for a TV.

lateparty

Hey all, I’m currently in planning phase for my upcoming Genelec 8330 purchase and wanted to get some cabling help - please don’t confuse this with audiophile cable sound help voodoo.

From what I can gather with a SAM setup you need to connect:
  • an AES XLR into one of your monitors from your source
  • daisy chain the XLR with another cable out from your first monitor to your next; and
  • an RJ45 into one of your monitors from GLM
  • daisy chain the RJ45 with another cable out from your first monitor to your next
It seems like all the RJ45s are included in the box but I would need to purchase two (2) AES/Digital (110ohm) XLRs and an additional one should I choose to add a sub in the future.

Could I please ask someone running all digital Genelec setup + SAM/GLM to confirm for me and give advice on what to look for, for XLR digital cables, and if possible…..how you keep it all tidy??

zym1010

Forum Donor
Hey all, I’m currently in planning phase for my upcoming Genelec 8330 purchase and wanted to get some cabling help - please don’t confuse this with audiophile cable sound help voodoo.

From what I can gather with a SAM setup you need to connect:
  • an AES XLR into one of your monitors from your source
  • daisy chain the XLR with another cable out from your first monitor to your next; and
  • an RJ45 into one of your monitors from GLM
  • daisy chain the RJ45 with another cable out from your first monitor to your next
It seems like all the RJ45s are included in the box but I would need to purchase two (2) AES/Digital (110ohm) XLRs and an additional one should I choose to add a sub in the future.

Could I please ask someone running all digital Genelec setup + SAM/GLM to confirm for me and give advice on what to look for, for XLR digital cables, and if possible…..how you keep it all tidy??

check my signature (Mac -> miniDSP USBStreamer B -> Hosa ODL-312 -> Genelec 7350A -> Genelec 8330A x 2). It works and my partner is not angry about the tidyness.

For cables, I just buy optical ones from Amazon Basics and digital XLR ones from Monoprice.

Last edited:

lateparty

check my signature (Mac -> miniDSP USBStreamer B -> Hosa ODL-312 -> Genelec 7350A -> Genelec 8330A x 2). It works and my partner is not angry about the tidyness.

For cables, I just buy optical ones from Amazon Basics and digital XLR ones from Monoprice.

Thanks, but I noticed you do not have GLM mentioned. If you are using digital XLR does it mean you don’t need the RJ45? That would be a boon!

zym1010

Forum Donor
Thanks, but I noticed you do not have GLM mentioned. If you are using digital XLR does it mean you don’t need the RJ45? That would be a boon!
Oh of course I have the GLM box and RJ45 connected; I don’t mention them probably because they are assumed with a SAM monitor; otherwise it can be tricky to control volume and lose all benefits of DSP

lateparty

In the interest of tidiness, where does it sit and how do you manage the cable runs to all of the speakers?
The triple set of cables (power, xlr, rj45) coming out to all speakers from different points is where my concerns lay.

zym1010

Forum Donor
In the interest of tidiness, where does it sit and how do you manage the cable runs to all of the speakers?
The triple set of cables (power, xlr, rj45) coming out to all speakers from different points is where my concerns lay.

My setup is probably not as tidy as one ideally wants… but if you like you can always buy or make some cable management gadgets I guess

Attachments

• DADA501C-307A-4552-B7BE-CAE5DE4A686A.jpeg
    DADA501C-307A-4552-B7BE-CAE5DE4A686A.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 358

lateparty

My setup is probably not as tidy as one ideally wants… but if you like you can always buy or make some cable management gadgets I guess
This is what I wanted to see! Thanks, this doesn’t look too bad at all. Fun fact: I have the same power board with Australian plugs.

Now I can’t wait. Just need to work out what I’m going to do with my old system… (for all wondering it’s getting replaced because it’s just too big for how we plan to repurpose the space)

testp

This is a good question actually... where do you send the AES/EBU audio signal first, i thought it was into the GLM Kit, and onward from there,

if its the first speaker and then onward, how does one speaker know to take left channel and send forward right channel not to mention sub?

ShadowNeko

This is a good question actually... where do you send the AES/EBU audio signal first, i thought it was into the GLM Kit, and onward from there,

if its the first speaker and then onward, how does one speaker know to take left channel and send forward right channel not to mention sub?
I think how it works is the aes sends the full signal to all of the speakers then the glm network cable tells each speaker which channel they are supposed to play.

Trell

Major Contributor

The GLM Kit is used for setup and control of the monitors and subwoofers that are SAM enabled, but the kit is not a requirement for either playing an audio signal or setup. The Genelec manuals will show how to configure and setup AES/EBU, with or without a SAM enabled subwoofer.

testp

This one is a really new interface from XING audio, I own one. Really happy with this little box. There's some options for clocks but I picked the stock one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001309244821.html

For a modern device this really shouldn't matter, never had any problems with compatibility.

Hey,

does this XING box turn on itself, when powered by usb and do you happen to know does it work/show the driver in rpi3/4 volumio/moode?

thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
Hey,

does this XING box turn on itself, when powered by usb and do you happen to know does it work/show the driver in rpi3/4 volumio/moode?

Umm I believe I still need to hit the silver power button on mine. And not sure about rpi but I think it should work like any proper USB DAC.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You can manually change the channels on the back of Genelec speakers and tell them to do channel 1 or channel 2 on the AES inputs. Or you can use GLM which connects to them via Ethernet cable and can also control them (volume level, calibration, which channel, etc.)

No audio is sent over GLM, and no control signals are sent over AES.

Trell

Major Contributor
You can manually change the channels on the back of Genelec speakers and tell them to do channel 1 or channel 2 on the AES inputs. Or you can use GLM which connects to them via Ethernet cable and can also control them (volume level, calibration, which channel, etc.)

No audio is sent over GLM, and no control signals are sent over AES.

Exactly, except for the 8330A that does not have DIP switches on the back, and then GLM should be needed.

lateparty

Umm I believe I still need to hit the silver power button on mine. And not sure about rpi but I think it should work like any proper USB DAC.

Do you happen to have any idea with respect to the different options available on that listing? Trying to avoid opening a can of worms by looking up any of the product codes in Google.

Veri

Master Contributor
Do you happen to have any idea with respect to the different options available on that listing? Trying to avoid opening a can of worms by looking up any of the product codes in Google.
WolfX measured them all https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/xing-af200/
They look basically the same to me. I bought the one with the least fancy clocks (the OY-U).

zym1010

Forum Donor
WolfX measured them all https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/xing-af200/
They look basically the same to me. I bought the one with the least fancy clocks (the OY-U).

Just pulled the trigger on aliexpress with the AS318 option (I did more research and can confirm the box works with Mac). While I don’t have much high hope on it given that I cannot hear any difference between X-SPDIF 2 and my current cheap setup, its price and convenience probably can justify the purchase even without sonic improvement…

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Just pulled the trigger on aliexpress with the AS318 option (I did more research and can confirm the box works with Mac). While I don’t have much high hope on it given that I cannot hear any difference between X-SPDIF 2 and my current cheap setup, it’s price and convenience probably can justify the purchase even without sonic improvement…
Well enjoy ;) it's a nice little converter box for sure!

Top Bottom