• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

USB and HDMI Hub

LeontTP

Ive ran out of USB ports for my PC which I use as a media center for audio and video.

So Im wondering about a USB hub, with a minimum of 2 USB and 1 HDMI ( 4K ) out. Of which can preferably be stationed 1 or 2 meters away from the PC.

Is this a even a good idea to begin with? Can you connect several ports like USB and HDMI into one single USB port from the motherboard? Does it create issues? Im quite clueless on this specific topic so any help if much appreciated!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is this a even a good idea to begin with?
So-so
Can you connect several ports like USB and HDMI into one single USB port from the motherboard?
Depends on the type of port on your motherboard. Ideally you want USB3.1 or better, or Thunderbolt.
Does it create issues?
Not necessarily. Hubs like that can be finicky, but still worth a try.

An alternative would be to buy a PCIe USB expansion card, if you still have unpopulated PCIe slots and unused lanes.

OP
L

LeontTP

So-so

Depends on the type of port on your motherboard. Ideally you want USB3.1 or better, or Thunderbolt.

Not necessarily. Hubs like that can be finicky, but still worth a try.

An alternative would be to buy a PCIe USB expansion card, if you still have unpopulated PCIe slots and unused lanes.
Pretty sure it at least has USB 3.0, I can transfer large files (50gig) quite quickly.

Preferably Id like a hub rather than a card because it also helps manage the cable lengths Im running, so saving 1 or 2 meters that way would be great. Thing is I mostly just find hubs that connect to USB C. Not sure if these are intended for phones or what but it wouldnt work for my PC unless connecting an adapter inbetween is fine.

Anyway, do you have any recommendations for at least a couple USB and an HDMI out?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Depends what sort of USB-A. The specs became rather complicated over the last few updates, and it can be hard to find out exactly which bits of the specs the port and the device support. And the cable for that matter. I would be reluctant to make any recommendations beyond picking a supplier that will let you return if it doesn't work.

OP
L

LeontTP

As @staticV3 said, hubs can be finicky. Do you use an external monitor? If so, does it have a hub built in? Many do. If so, try that instead of buying.
I prefer PCIe USB expansion cards, in my experience they are stable with no latency or connectivity issues, but this may not work for you:
Not sure what you mean, I have a monitor yes but you mean connecting my TV to my Monitor?

Last edited:
OP
L

LeontTP

Also, I would be fine with splitting it up as 2 Hubs, one for USBs and one for HDMI. Or I could maybe scrap the HDMI and just buy an extension cable for that.

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
Not sure what you mean, I have a monitor yes but you mean connecting my TV to my Monitor?
Many computer monitors have a built-in USB hub:
main-qimg-77134d5d867f841c186077a62ae8927e-pjlq

Perhaps I am not following your predicament, but if you have a computer monitor with a built-in hub, you don't need to buy an external USB hub, you just need a USB cable from you PC to your monitor and the monitor provides the additional ports. I have a laptop with only two USB, I hook one up to my external monitor's USB hub and get multiple USB connections.

OP
L

LeontTP

Many computer monitors have a built-in USB hub:
main-qimg-77134d5d867f841c186077a62ae8927e-pjlq

Perhaps I am not following your predicament, but if you have a computer monitor with a built-in hub, you don't need to buy an external USB hub, you just need a USB cable from you PC to your monitor and the monitor provides the additional ports. I have a laptop with only two USB, I hook one up to my external monitor's USB hub and get multiple USB connections.
I only see one USB A connection for my Monitor sadly, but good idea. I think Ill scrap the HDMI part about the Hub and just settle with USB in any case, I only see these hubs supporting 30hz for HDMI 4K.

So I guess Ill try any USB 3.0 hub from a store that allows returns and see how it works.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
I only see one USB A connection for my Monitor sadly, but good idea. I think Ill scrap the HDMI part about the Hub and just settle with USB in any case, I only see these hubs supporting 30hz for HDMI 4K.

So I guess Ill try any USB 3.0 hub from a store that allows returns and see how it works.
Good plan, low risk!

Top Bottom