• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade to Foobar2000 64 bit--no 64 bit plugin equivalent to old Convolver?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have used Foobar2000 for many years and have little reason to change. In fact, if I were to change, I would need something that has the simplicity of Columns UI because I have some vision impairment and I've spent a long time refining my implementation of it. Currently running v1.6.14, 32 bit.

When I "upgraded" to the 64 bit v2.1.2, I saw that many components in my DSP stack were not usable as I only had the 32 bit versions, so I set about downloading those...until I tried to download the 64 bit version of the convolver component I have used for years to EQ my various headphones and found it's not included on the list of 64 bit components.

I use the one that looks like this in 32 bit Foobar2000:

Old Convolver.JPG

The only 64 bit plugin that includes any mention of convolution is Stereo Convolver (foo_dsp_stereoconv) that is a specialized component used for generating HRTFs, not for general EQ purposes.

Anybody else in the same quandary as me? Is the only solution now to continue to run the old v1.6.14, and hope someone compiles a 64 bit version of the old convolver component?

Thanks.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I found the same thing when I switched to the 64bit version.

I use EQ APO + Peace for general EQ systemwide.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I found the same thing when I switched to the 64bit version.

I use EQ APO + Peace for general EQ systemwide.
My issue is that I like to keep things separate. I run my headphone rig off a dedicated USB DAC, while my desktop speakers just connect to the internal DAC in the PC. I've no need to EQ my desktop Presonus Eris 3.5s as I use them only for non-critical YouTube etc. stuff.

There are also some other techniques I would love to try to correct a different speaker rig that require use of a convolution engine.

Last edited:

boxerfan88

A lot of plugins that I rely on do not exist in 64bit form unfortunately. Many of these plugins are no longer actively maintained by their authors.

Eventually I settled on 32bit foobar2000 2.X, and got all my plugins to work.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I measured 32bit vs 64bit version through a couple of DACs and they are identical.
So 32bit for now,until the plug-ins I need are available and the app is rock-steady.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I measured 32bit vs 64bit version through a couple of DACs and they are identical.
So 32bit for now,until the plug-ins I need are available and the app is rock-steady.

Do you find any usability improvements with 32 bit v2.1.2 over previous 32 bit versions? Unsure if there is really any reason to upgrade at this point. Thanks!

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I posted this question on the r/foobar reddit and as suggested over there, posted a request on the hydrogenaudio forum devoted to Foobar2000.

Will repost here with any info I get over there.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Do you find any usability improvements with 32 bit v2.1.2 over previous 32 bit versions? Unsure if there is really any reason to upgrade at this point. Thanks!
Nothing to catch my attention,it just plays everything.etc.
I have a torture test playlist which I run after each upgrade and it passed it just fine.

Note that I running it with Darkone skin.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Case on hydrogenaudio explained in response to my query that the original Convolver for 32 bit invoked an obsolete Intel 32 bit library and thus it was not just a simple matter of recompiling it for 64 bit.

The original version was written by Garf, who donated the source code to Peter.

In any case, within just 4 1/2 hours, Case posted a link to a 64 bit component that looks and acts almost exactly like the 32 bit version we've used for years.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Case on hydrogenaudio explained in response to my query that the original Convolver for 32 bit invoked an obsolete Intel 32 bit library and thus it was not just a simple matter of recompiling it for 64 bit.

The original version was written by Garf, who donated the source code to Peter.

In any case, within just 4 1/2 hours, Case posted a link to a 64 bit component that looks and acts almost exactly like the 32 bit version we've used for years.

That's why I love foobar ;)

LGD_

I'm using the latest 32 bit foobar on a 64 bit PC. It does everything I want with no issues.
So wondering, what's to be gained by switching to 64 bit?
I just see a lot of trouble trying to get all my add-ons working again, and for what?
If it ain't broke...

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I'm using the latest 32 bit foobar on a 64 bit PC. It does everything I want with no issues.
So wondering, what's to be gained by switching to 64 bit?
I just see a lot of trouble trying to get all my add-ons working again, and for what?
If it ain't broke...

That's the question I was trying to answer before I moved from Win10 to Win11 on a couple of machines soon.

There appears to be no usability difference for me. Resampling a 192k file to 44.1k, running convolver for headphone EQ, plus an instance of Headphone EQ to cut the high end on a recording that's mastered badly (IMHO) required 0.5-0.8% CPU on my relatively old HP Z220 workstation with a Xeon E3 1230 CPU using either version.

Some other issues discussed here, none of which seem major:

https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/xgnggq

LGD_

That's the question I was trying to answer before I moved from Win10 to Win11 on a couple of machines soon.

There appears to be no usability difference for me. Resampling a 192k file to 44.1k, running convolver for headphone EQ, plus an instance of Headphone EQ to cut the high end on a recording that's mastered badly (IMHO) required 0.5-0.8% CPU on my relatively old HP Z220 workstation with a Xeon E3 1230 CPU using either version.

Some other issues discussed here, none of which seem major:

https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/xgnggq
Interesting discussion, thanks...

The takeaway, for me, is that I'm glad I decided to divorce my foobar PC from the internet (I don't stream)...
No windows updates, no need for anti-virus programs,
My Win 10 is probably ten years out of date, and working just fine with no surprises.

OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Interesting discussion, thanks...

The takeaway, for me, is that I'm glad I decided to divorce my foobar PC from the internet (I don't stream)...
No windows updates, no need for anti-virus programs,
My Win 10 is probably ten years out of date, and working just fine with no surprises.

I think it was the initial update to Win10 20H1 that created USB latency issues for me on 3 different machines with every USB DAC I had at the time. Had to revert everything to 19H2, but now everything I have runs the final 22H2 just fine.

I was considering simplifying my speaker rig with a WiiM Amp and a 512GB SSD in an enclosure connected to the USB input. It seems from what's being said here and on other forums is that is asking for trouble as the unit is quite capable of streaming, but it and the WiiM app that runs it are not particularly suited for a 15,000 cut/1500 folder music library even if it's directly attached. Seems backwards, but that's just silly old me.

Top Bottom