• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Upgrade advice

Iglo

Forum Donor
@flipflop I was just writing the exact same. @Bombadil follow the steps in the #3 post by Flipflop. Install APO (the EQ engine) and Peace (interface). Using the PDF you can manually adjust the EQ. If you don't want to do it manually download this text document and load it into Peace (this will do all the setup).

The text file is from jaakkopasanen which runs AutoEq and build EQ config files for many headphones (based on Harman curve Oratory1990 profile): https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Sennheiser HD 660 S
As APO is parametric EQ you need the "Sennheiser HD 660 S ParametricEQ.txt" file (as linked above). If you have another EQ's the other files could come in handy (e.g. when using a fixed band EQ).

Last edited:

spittiz

I also agree that EQ or new headphones is the way to go, but before going the new headphone route, you should try to find at least some indication on what you want to change or improve, which EQ is quite handy for. More/less bass, more/less treble, wider/smaller soundstage are easy things to evaluate first.

OP
E

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you installed the software I linked? It's very intuitive to use. You just have to create a profile with the bands from the bottom-left of the oratory PDF and set the preamp gain to -7.4 dB.
I downloaded the first link, a pdf file, but did not look at the others as yet, will do that now. Keep in mind i stream from my iphone via spotify connect to the Node 2i digital out to the DX7pro. Not sure how to get the eq information to the DX7

Iglo

Forum Donor
That would not be possible. The APO and Peace software runs on Windows. So in order to try how you like your HD660s with EQ you will need to use a PC with the software.

Personally, I run APO/Peace on my main PC to enjoy the HD660s with EQ. My Raspberry Pi for streaming is able to run an EQ but I have yet to set this up.

Last edited:
OP
E

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That would not be possible. The APO and Peace software runs on Windows. So in order to try how you like your HD660s with EQ you will need to use a PC with the software.
got it :oops:
so something like the RME would be a more direct solution in my situation, it appears.

Iglo

Forum Donor
Yes, if you like the headphones with EQ enough to spend $$$ on a DAC with onboard EQ. But still, I would recommend testing if you like your headphones with EQ using a PC and the DAC you already have available.

I do like the Oratory1990 EQ on the Sennheiser HD660s but dislike any EQ on the Beyerdynamic DT770 (I like the sound signature as-is for specific music genres and watching movies).

P.s. A more cost-effective solution to get streaming with EQ would be to run a Raspberry Pi with for instance MoOde Audio software.
MoOde audio Version 7 is in development and is expected to include a 10 band parametric EQ (the current version has a 4 band parametric EQ).

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had no idea that a headphone amp would include DSP, that's a great idea.
The RME is a DAC with preamp and headphone amp.
Am I being overly naive to think that I can buy the RME, read the manual, and EQ my phones? If only Anthem would make a headphone DAC/amp! lol
Yes, you could do this. However as I wrote first comes the headphone, than DAC/preamp.

Top Bottom