• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unusual power issue with Schiit Heresy.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I sent him a message thanks!

Solderdude, in your opinion should I order another Sundara or save up for Ananda?

Ananda vs Sundara.
ananda-vs-sundara.png

Soundwise the Ananda is the better sounding one (acc. to the plots and my limited time with them) but not a whole lot different sounding.
It differs a bit in the upper mids and treble where IMO the Ananda is better.

Comfort between the 2 is very different. My comfort may not be yours. Huge pads vs 'normal' pads.

Ananda goes twice as loud (+10dB) opposite Sundara at the same volume level (not so with current drive).
Ananda impedance is a bit lower but needs less voltage. Sundara impedance is a bit higher but needs more voltage.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Schiit covered my headphones 100% and I think they are sending a replacement amp back to me as well, you don't see customer service that good any more! the JDS Labs Atom I am using in the meantime is good, but the power difference is noticeable, so I might end up selling it off when the Heresy gets back.

Definitely made a life long customer out of me.

Last edited:

jerm_ph

Schiit covered my headphones 100% and I think they are sending a replacement amp back to me as well, you don't customer service that good any more! the JDS Labs Atom I am using in the meantime is good, but the power difference is noticeable, so I might end up selling it off when the Heresy gets back.

Glad to know that Schiit is doing something about the issue. I hope they look at it more closely.

Just want to share. Someone on Reddit reported that his Heresy "blew up" on him. The company sent him a new Heresy but that new amp "blew up" on him again.
(2) Schiit Heresy "blew up" on me, TWICE! Any ideas? : headphones (reddit.com)

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor

denksetsu

Registered to say I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. The left speaker of my Sundaras was actually WARM to the touch. It now has lower output than the right side. I've contacted Schiit. Hopefully they can make it right.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Registered to say I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. The left speaker of my Sundaras was actually WARM to the touch. It now has lower output than the right side. I've contacted Schiit. Hopefully they can make it right.

That is terrible, I actually found out my headphones survived, they seem ok... so I refunded Schiit there money back. Some reason they would not work with the stock cable, but work ok with the custom Periapt cable.

raif71

Major Contributor
That is terrible, I actually found out my headphones survived, they seem ok... so I refunded Schiit there money back. Some reason they would not work with the stock cable, but work ok with the custom Periapt cable.
Good that your headphone is ok but the Heresy could still be a cause for stock cable malfunctioning? Any reason why the Heresy went kaput?

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Just picked up a Schiit Heresy. Sticking with cheap Blon BL03’s after reading this thread. Does anyone know if the amp goes while listening if it will send an ear damaging spike?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Schiit covered my headphones 100% and I think they are sending a replacement amp back to me as well, you don't see customer service that good any more! the JDS Labs Atom I am using in the meantime is good, but the power difference is noticeable, so I might end up selling it off when the Heresy gets back.

Good. I have a pile of Shiit and it has all been a good experience.

OP
Rayman30

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Good that your headphone is ok but the Heresy could still be a cause for stock cable malfunctioning? Any reason why the Heresy went kaput?

Stock cable no longer works even on the Atom, sometimes a channel will work if I move it a certain way, tested with and without 6.35mm adapter. The Heresy came back with all of its innards as well as its power supply replaced, I have now listed it for sale.

Atom vs. Heresy - I prefer the Atom's sound, it is a little less veiled in the upper mid range, went back and fourth on several MJ songs and it was easy for me to hear the difference, its as if some additional warmth was present on the Heresy that masked some detail (This is my subjective experience and is not a statement of fact)

Last edited:

Swtoby

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm having this same issue. It happened twice today using a b stock unit I received Friday. Initially I thought it might have been related to ESD, both times it happened as I returned to my desk and picked up the headphones and got a zap and then the loud buzz from the headphones. I was using a Hifiman HE400i 2020. Turned the amp off and tried again. Both amp and headphones seemed ok, but I've stopped using it and will contact Schiit.

hottyson

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm having this same issue. It happened twice today using a b stock unit I received Friday. Initially I thought it might have been related to ESD, both times it happened as I returned to my desk and picked up the headphones and got a zap and then the loud buzz from the headphones. I was using a Hifiman HE400i 2020. Turned the amp off and tried again. Both amp and headphones seemed ok, but I've stopped using it and will contact Schiit.
I don't know how I missed this thread. I thought that I was the only person that had a problem with there Schiit Heresy burning up headphones. I will post my experience here.
This happened to me six months ago on two headphones in December 2020. I was plugging various headphones between $100 headphone amps so that I could share online what were the best amp/headphone combinations. The headphones were brand new. The two headphones sent the Schiit Heresy into protection mode were OneOdio Pro-50 and a Fostex T-50RP I am certain that it was due to ESD as I was getting constant electric shocks from all of my equipment during the cold months here in the Las Vegas, NV desert.
The OneOdio Pro-50 had one driver burn out on one side. The Fostex T-50RP survived. Since this burnup, I have not dared to switch headphones while the Schiit Heresy is powered on because I fear that it might destroy another headphone. I power off the amp and switch headphones then power up again. Mostly the amp has sat unused as I a get stressed out when using it instead of enjoying it.
I contacted Schiit to see if they could take it back and let me buy a better amp. I would rather get a Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3 so I don't have to worry about my headphones burning up. Schiit will not just let me upgrade because I purchased B-stock. It states on the Schiit B-stock page "There are no trade-ups. If you know what you want, that’s great." However, I was not aware when I purchased the amp that it destroyed and burned up headphones. So, they really should take it back. Schiit responded that they would "need to take a look at it in service first before we can look into any possible refund options."
So, my options are to spend another $20 shipping to ship it to Schiit that I might not even get a $89 credit towards purchasing another product. Does that sound like a good deal to you?
My advice to everyone is to stay away from the Schiit Heresy if you live in a climate where you get lost of Electrostatic discharge. My second piece of advice is to not purchase anything B-stock from Schiit even if you know it is the model you want. The $10 discount is not worth it in the end because it will cost more than that to ship it back even if it is a faulty product on the error of Schiit. Just buy Schiit's regular stock so that they will take it back and you will not have a stressful time dealing with them.

Last edited:

Shazb0t

I don't know how I missed this thread. I thought that I was the only person that had a problem with there Schiit Heresy burning up headphones. I will post my experience here.
This happened to me six months ago on two headphones in December 2020. I was plugging various headphones between $100 headphone amps so that I could share online what were the best amp/headphone combinations. The headphones were brand new. The two headphones sent the Schiit Heresy into protection mode were OneOdio Pro-50 and a Fostex T-50RP I am certain that it was due to ESD as I was getting constant electric shocks from all of my equipment during the cold months here in the Las Vegas, NV desert.
The OneOdio Pro-50 had one driver burn out on one side. The Fostex T-50RP survived. Since this burnup, I have not dared to switch headphones while the Schiit Heresy is powered on because I fear that it might destroy another headphone. I power off the amp and switch headphones then power up again. Mostly the amp has sat unused as I a get stressed out when using it instead of enjoying it.
I contacted Schiit to see if they could take it back and let me buy a better amp. I would rather get a Jotunheim 2 or Lyr 3 so I don't have to worry about my headphones burning up. Schiit will not just let me upgrade because I purchased B-stock. It states on the Schiit B-stock page "There are no trade-ups. If you know what you want, that’s great." However, I was not aware when I purchased the amp that it destroyed and burned up headphones. So, they really should take it back. Schiit responded that they would "need to take a look at it in service first before we can look into any possible refund options."
So, my options are to spend another $20 shipping to ship it to Schiit that I might not even get a $89 credit towards purchasing another product. Does that sound like a good deal to you?
My advice to everyone is to stay away from the Schiit Heresy if you live in a climate where you get lost of Electrostatic discharge. My second piece of advice is to not purchase anything B-stock from Schiit even if you know it is the model you want. The $10 discount is not worth it in the end because it will cost more than that to ship it back even if it is a faulty product on the error of Schiit. Just buy Schiit's regular stock so that they will take it back and you will not have a stressful time dealing with them.
You should send it back to Schiit.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Folks considering the Magni3+ or Heresy should consider buying the IEMagni as this has DC protection (which I have repeatedly complained about why adding $1.- in components wasn't done).
It might still blow and still make a loud 'pop' in your headphone but it will probably survive without damage.

Swtoby

I agree, Schiit should be more accomodating in this instance. You buy b-stock expecting it to just work and not fry your cans resulting in money and time wasted to resolve the issue. Good customer service counts for a lot imo.

Top Bottom