• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UK Radio Stream 48khz/32bit - do I therefore need a 32bit capable DAC?

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Optical and Coax are digital, you should look for analog output (RCA, XLR, 1/4" phone, 1/8" mini, etc). Unless you wish to bypass your DAC into another DAC (not sure why).

homophoni

If you want to play 32 bit content, you will need a DAC that is capable. Will you be able to hear the difference with 24 or 16 bit content? I doubt it.

I hear the difference, especially for field recordings. In the past I would struggle to record something like a jumbo jet and have the resultant recording retain its "bigness." But with 32 bit floating point I can record a whole stack of jumbo jets! (image from https://www.sounddevices.com/32-bit-float-files-explained/)

dynamic_range_chart-768x945.png

beeface

Sorry to go slightly off-topic but surely there's a very low chance of a radio DJ playing content that's higher quality than redbook anyway? A high res radio stream sounds like a questionable premise to me

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I've just noticed that some good quality 320kps Radio streams are reported as 48kHZ/32bit within VLC player.

I'm decision making on buying an external DAC and Headphone Amp. I was including some well respected older DACs often limited to 96/24 (and sometimes 48/24), which I thought would be fine, as long as they are well designed & made.

However, this new discovery that the streams are 48/32, is it correct? Are they really 32bit?

With my onboard ALC1220, direct into some HD595s the streams sound nice, as good as some ripped 44.1/16 CDs.
But, I cant genuinely hear a difference when I change between 48/16 48/24 & 48/32, but it's nice to be able to do that and test.

With a higher quality DAC and Headphone Amp will it become possible to distinguish between 16bit and 32 bit?

And so, as I am buying my first DAC, would it be wise to pick one that does 32bit?

You don' t need a 32 bit dac. 32 bit is 16 bit of nothing.

Top Bottom