• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Newbie here with some headphone/Amp/streaming questions

SOL1

Hi all my first post here:) I have been into hifi since I was 16 so many years ago;) Due to a protracted illness 6 years ago I needed to sell off my headphones and hi res player, being Beyer DT1350, Beyer T90 and an AK player.
I am now in a position to buy a modest budget set up, so I have gone down the rabbit hole for the past 48 hrs and have come up with Sienhieser HD 560s and a Topping Dx3 Pro+. I am not savvy with streaming music but I would like to pick the right streaming service so I am looking for guidance on this. If I understand correctly I intend to send data (From the streaming service via Bluetooth from from my computer to my topping and utilise it;s DAC to process the Data, is this how it would work? I am very open to your knowledge and experience on this. I only need CD quality so perhaps lossless audio level so am thinking apple music, Like I said I have only been studying this streaming stuff for the past 2 days so I may not have the best understanding of how it works, feel free to set me right.

Thanks in advance

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So far I'm not seeing anything to disagree with.
What is your overall budget?

OP
S

SOL1

So far I'm not seeing anything to disagree with.
What is your overall budget?
Thanks for getting back twsecrest. About 450 US as the Aussie dollar is not great as is most other Countries ATM. I like bang for buck. I will prob get some Hart cables just for looks and a degree of placebo (And I am not having a dig at cable guys I mean it legitimately) This combination just seems to be an intelligent combination after a lot of research over the past couple of days but am still open to others thoughts.........I have already bought the HD 560s though, and about to buy the DAC/amp combo and cable

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If I understand correctly I intend to send data (From the streaming service via Bluetooth from from my computer to my topping and utilise it;s DAC to process the Data, is this how it would work?

If you want to use Bluetooth you can, but if you connect the DAC to the computer via USB cable, you will be getting your lossless stream that way rather than through a lossy Bluetooth codec.

You've make some good choices there, and I'm sure you'll be glad to step back into some high quality music!

OP
S

SOL1

Thanks BDWoody, I assume I could plug my phone via cable into the dac/amp instead of my computer? Is that correct?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks BDWoody, I assume I could plug my phone via cable into the dac/amp instead of my computer? Is that correct?
That's correct too. As for which streaming service, which is available in Oz and at what price? Spotify might be the default. Amazon can be had cheap. Qobuz is the worst user interface for me. Tidal I actually like.

In terms of depth of library, for my tastes they are much of a muchness, all have some omissions but not many.

Top tip. If you are using an android phone and get Tidal or qobuz, the usb audio player Pro app can do eq on those services for a few $ fee. Eq can be had free on pc.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Regarding streaming you could stick to network streamer, ali do LDAC high is more than enough transport it's range is rather limited and more on the go (paird with phone). Still all wireless one's (WiFi, BT...) are for latency not sensitive things, for that good old cable still works the best. Topping DX3 Pro+ is solid budget choice as long you don't intend to use low impedance headphones/earphones (where it clips and goes under protection with less than 20 Ohms one's).
From Inexpensive WiFi add ons (trough Toslink) take a look at WiiM Mini. It really depends what you hope to achieve in the end. I ended up wired with intermediate WDM driver (with lots of processing in between) towards apps and browser. It's relatively easy for headphones and 2.0 audio (lots of EQ solution's and 2.0 DAC - Amp's but even so you won't find simple good working solutions easily (like reverberation effect) and lot of virtualisitions that are more of a gimmick then something useful.

OP
S

SOL1

Thanks Jimbob54, I have heard good things about Apple play, what do you think? As far as equalisation, I assumed that would only effect analogue signal but since I will be streaming digital information from android to the DAC, will eq work with a digital signal which sounds counter intuitive or am I wrong

OP
S

SOL1

WiiM Mini................ bloody brilliant that is the missing piece, thank you so much mate:):)

Top Bottom