• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uh oh, need help, no sound now from left channel of my Denon AVR-X5200

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I guess I'm getting too old and messed up. Being pretty sure that that front left channel was out on my 5200, I picked up a 4700 and sold my 5200 on Ebay for "repair or parts". Afterwords, I received feedback from the buyer that it "works great". So, I contacted the buyer to confirm that the front left channel was working and he said he's using the pre-out and, yes, it works. So, I guess I failed to detect some problem with the interconnect cable connection to that pre-out on the 5200.
Yeah, chances that cables fail are much higher than electronics. The first I do in those cases is to swap the left and right connections to find out if the problem moves with the swap or not.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It does appear that the left channel of my 5200 has crapped out. The cost to send it in for repair is probably too high(perhaps $600 or more) to justify for a six year old AVR. So, I need to decide on a new AVR. Do I stick with Denon or maybe try Yamaha or Onkyo this time?
I’ve sent 15 year old gear to be fixed. I like repairing old shit.

Last edited:
OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yeah, chances that cables fail are much higher than electronics. The first I do in those cases is to swap the left and right connections to find out if the problem moves with the swap or not.
Yes, I thought I did that, but I guess I didn't do it exactly right. I now think there is a problem with the rca connector on that interconnect cable because my left channel was weak on my 4700 when I got it hooked up. After I backed the connector off a bit, the left channel is back in business. Oh well, live and learn, I guess. I sure did like that 5200.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I thought I did that, but I guess I didn't do it exactly right. I now think there is a problem with the rca connector on that interconnect cable because my left channel was weak on my 4700 when I got it hooked up. After I backed the connector off a bit, the left channel is back in business. Oh well, live and learn, I guess. I sure did like that 5200.
You made another fellow happy... Karma credits! Enjoy you new AVR

Happy Holidays People!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You made another fellow happy... Karma credits!
That's true. I once sold a very old but beautiful HP oscilloscope (built in 1963: 1 channel, 0.2 mV sensitivity, differential input, 500 kHz - perfect for audio) for an apple and an egg to a poor student because it had intermittent problems. The guy came with a bicycle to transport it on its carrier which I tried to talk him out of (all tubes inside) without success. However afterwards he reported that the scope worked perfectly - seems the rattling on the carrier fixed the scope... :)

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I recently had a stereo balance problem with my (Not Denon) AVR recently, and drove myself crazy trying to figure it out. On a whim I cleared out all the room correction settings and that solved the problem. Maybe try that?
Ok. So I have this problem again on a Denon AVR3700- can someone tell me how to delete the current audyssey settings? Do I just run it again?

Niva nasci

Hi, can anyone hepl me ? I've a Denon AVR-X5200W and the fans are disconected i don't know where to connect them, a picture it would be of great hel. thank's

Top Bottom