• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tympahany exits DIY market - how/where to source Peerless drivers now ?

7Tiger

So, just in time when I need some of their products (namely the Peerless 830875 drivers), Tymphany corporation decided to pull out of DIY market... :rolleyes:

Managed to get the last 5 pcs from an online retailer in the Netherlands before they delisted them completely. Need 4 more for my multichannel speakers project but it looks like they are out of stock everywhere :confused:

Any ideas on how/where to source more drivers ?

JPA

Forum Donor
That's a shock. Are you sure it's worldwide?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There's this:

Maybe it will change.

OP
7Tiger

7Tiger

That's a shock. Are you sure it's worldwide?
Pretty much. No stock everywhere in Europe and at Parts Express the minimum order quantity is 504 pcs which looks like those drivers are now only sold in bulk...
There's this:

Maybe it will change.
Yeah, been there. Tried emailing dealers in my region but got either "no stock" or no response at all :(

JSmith

Master Contributor
All the below are showing stock... depends how far you want to ship I suppose;

(above eBay store) https://www.ebay.com/itm/275548267799

JSmith

OP
7Tiger

7Tiger

Haven't tried Australian retailers yet because I'm in eastern Europe thus shipping may be quite costly. Will ask them now for a quote.
Audiostatus did not respond to my emails when I asked for stock confirmation.

Severian

Forum Donor
I've seen it posted on a couple of other forums over the last year that they have indeed exited the DIY market.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At least the SS Discovery stuff is still able to fill some of that void.

They've been going out of stock for better than a year....

isostasy

They're not making any drivers at all, not even the HPD headphone drivers? I just ordered a handful of 35mm - 50mm drivers from digikey, including the HPD-40 and HPD-50 Peerless drivers. I'm yet to assess how well they fit my needs, but the HPD-40 is down to 151 in stock right now so would be frustrating if they run out and I come to like it. HPD50 is in a better position with over 13,000 still in stock.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They are no longer going to have them sitting, and will make batches or minimum order runs of drivers instead. It changes the economy of their business to be an OEM supplier with a pull strategy with made to order products.

I've used the Peerless 50mm paper-coned headphone drivers and like them a lot, but it appears that is now an MOQ listing at both Digikey and PE.

OP
7Tiger

7Tiger

At least the SS Discovery stuff is still able to fill some of that void.
BTW, I'm pairing the 830875 with ScanSpeak D2608 tweeters - sounds great and the price is nice :cool:

Severian

Forum Donor
I'm bummed because I've always had building a classic 3-way with the 830669 12" subwoofer in the back of my mind.

hex168

I have a design going in the back of my mind using the Peerless FSL 6". I'm not aware of a viable substitute, and do not want to spend time on something people won't be able to build.
In stock now, but for how long?

OP
7Tiger

7Tiger

(above eBay store) https://www.ebay.com/itm/275548267799
Sent them 3 emails over this week but got no reply...

Grabbed the last 4 pcs of 830860 from Soundimports along with DX25TG59-04 tweeters to build 2 pairs of compact boookshelves for use as heights :cool:

Now back on the hunt for 830875s...

badspeakerdesigner

I'm confused, has there been any sort of statement made my peerless or any indicators other than pulling stock that says they're getting out of DIY entirely?

Top Bottom