• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables as an art form

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

How about a Technics 1500c? Comes in Silver or Black. Comes with a good phono preamp, as well as the ability to bypass it completely if you want to use an external one. All the arm adjustments you need, and rock-solid speed control. Seems to fit the budget at $1300US (not sure about Canadian pricing).

I recently upgraded from a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo to a SL-1210GR. I was never a fan of the Technics aesthetic from seeing pictures, but in person it is gorgeous and miles better than my old Pro-ject in sound and function.

View attachment 256846
Wow, that looks extremely attractive and the top view shows off its form.
Front runner at this point, as I can get it for $1600CDN with free shipping.

What cartridge are you using? It comes with Ortofon Red here, but that could always be upgraded later, or never.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

When you try to intersect $900 and "cool turntable", choices are very limited, so finding only one object that satisfies both criteria is not surprising.
Anyway, OP really wanted "clean", not "cool" turntable, as we learned later.

Your definition is wrong. Where is this world going with everyone having his own definition on everything, including what is a good/clean/cool design? What do you think, what are they teaching the students at the art/design universities?
Of course, someone freely may have opinion about what is "cool" or not. But if he hasn't seen hundreds of different turntable designs (preferably prized as good designs), he is not in the position to be an "ultimate arbiter" in what is "cool" or not. He would choose a kitsch and be very happy with it... and everyone around him will laugh behind his back.

Obviously, you don't work in the industry and consequently, you don't know how products are/were designed, why they are designed that way, and why they are named with those names. Jukeboxes are designed as such, you can put one in your home and disable coin-operating mechanism, but it is steel a jukebox, not a changer turntable! You can slap there a linear tracking arm with laser pickup, but sorry - still it is a jukebox, not a turntable!

I don't understand what that Thorens episode is about. Professional turntables from recording studios, when transferred to homes, are still turntables (although bulky).

Minimizing functionality?!
Here is a B&O rebuttal:

Bang & Olufsen products are fully functional! Skillful hiding functions is not a lack of functions!

B&O Beomaster 1900 receiver with closed lid:

View attachment 256870

B&O Beomaster 1900 receiver with open lid:

View attachment 256871

You got it all wrong. Occam's Razor is at home in philosophy and science. It's use in art should be in the context of something, otherwise it will be nonsensical.
Your link proves that, because it is:
"Call for works of art inspired by science. ... Propeller Centre for the Visual Arts (PCVA) and the Idea Gallery at the Ontario Science Centre are calling for works of art inspired by science, for a group exhibition ... Submissions* to include: A 75-word statement (to be used as a label) describing how the artwork relates to science."
(Quotations are from the link you provided)
From my perspective, this isn't worth discussing any further as your viewpoints in general are highly singular and unusual, and tend to close around overly particular statements. Whatever you say is fine by me.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have reason to believe that the OP has only seen 4 or 5 turntables in his life?
No, I didn't say that. I just said that only knowledgeable people can say what is really cool/beautiful design and what is not. Others may or may not accepted their opinion... silently.

What is your definition of "turntable", if you do not like the dictionary definitions?
You think changers aren't turntables??
What is wrong with the jukebox or changer definitions from Wikipedia?!

Last edited:
OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

The Slovenian Mag-Lev gets around the stability problems, which are unavoidable with fixed magnets, because of Earnshaw's Theorem, by using electromagnets which are cleverly controlled to both spin and balance the platter. It is like maglev trains, which use electromagnets for both suspension, guidance, and propulsion.
It is really rather ingenious, though according to measurements of this particular TT there is no performance improvement over a conventional turntable. You can levitate spindle bearings more simply with permanent magnets, and avoid Earnshaw's Theorem because you have other mechanical constraints (like the sleeve). In theory this should reduce bearing friction, therefore rumble and possibly wow, but I don't know how tables with this technology (like the Amari) measure. The fact that you can't see the platter levitating in such tables does not mean it is not maglev; you also can't see maglev trains sitting invisibly clear of the rails . However, I suppose the fact that only the suspension--and not the propulsion--in these particular TTs is magnetic might be an argument against using the term.
I'm familiar with maglev trains which do not involve rotation. I wouldn't rule out such a device especially if the magnets are purely involved with the suspension. However, the photo of a platter spinning in midair definitely arouses my suspicion.
I remember when I first had a Rubik's cube described to me. I couldn't visualize the contraption without the corners falling off, but of course we know such a thing does exist.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

You have reason to believe that the OP has only seen 4 or 5 turntables in his life?
What is your definition of "turntable", if you do not like the dictionary definitions?
You think changers aren't turntables??
That gives me a chuckle. I lived through an era when everyone had a turntable, and I had, in succession, a record player, then a Radio Shack Realistic turntable, then a Thorens, and my last table, a B&O, which takes us to the 1980s. I can remember my friends having tables from Dual (the most popular), Acoustic Research, Technics, Pioneer, Sansui, Fisher and I don't know what else. One of my university student friends had a quadrophonic setup with a large number of vinyl quadrophonic releases. His setup was the envy of everyone. I have not had a turntable since those days though. The days of going into a stereo shop and looking at 10 models seem to be gone.

Vladimir Filevski

I wanted your definition of "turntable". The WIkipedia definition of "turntable" is the same as mine.
What is the Wikipedia definition for jukebox?
Spoiler: it is not a simple changer/turntable!

Last edited:

dr0ss

I'm familiar with maglev trains which do not involve rotation. I wouldn't rule out such a device especially if the magnets are purely involved with the suspension. However, the photo of a platter spinning in midair definitely arouses my suspicion.
In a fixed magnetic field (or any field which satisfies the same partial differential equations) you get instability in one dimension. The way around that is to move the field. You can do this by spinning permanent magnets ("spin-stabilization", like the Levitron tops) or by moving the field, which is what the trains do (since they also using the moving fields for propulsion) and what this turntable do.

If you se permanent magnets in the bearings, you eliminate contact at the base of the bearing (or top, depending on how the bearing is orientated), but because of the essential instability it might increase friction at the sides of the bearing. Whether that would be significant I don't know, I've been tempted to buy a cheap belt-drive table and modify the bearings with magnets. Maybe when I retire and have some time...

That gives me a chuckle. I lived through an era when everyone had a turntable
Yeah, me too. What slays me is how tables that were considered 'ordinary' back in the day are now so highly regarded. My father's shop was one of the first Panasonic dealers in Chicago, so of course I had a Technics table as a kid. Pretty much everyone else at my college (this was the mid 70s) had a table that would have been deemed better at the time. Nowadays the same Technics direct drive line is highly acclaimed.

dr0ss

What is the Wikipedia definition for jukebox?
Irrelevant to the convo. You dismissed my definition (ie, the dictionary definition) of "turntable") without offering an alternative.

Upthread you asked,
Can see that jukebox and changers are not a simple turntables?
They are not simple, but for sure they are turntables. My dad sold turntables in the 60s and 70s, most of the models he sold were changers, he would have been nonplussed by the claim that they were not turntables.

Vladimir Filevski

You are sidestepping. I am not saying dictionary/Wikipedia definition for the turntable is wrong, I am saying your definition "jukebox=turntable" is wrong. Likewise, "bus" is not the same as "car", although both have motor, transmission, wheels, one steering wheel, break pedal and gas pedal, and they both work exactly in the same principle and both carry passengers from point A to point B.

This off-topic went too far. I will not engage in this further.

Last edited:

drmevo

Wow, that looks extremely attractive and the top view shows off its form.
Front runner at this point, as I can get it for $1600CDN with free shipping.

What cartridge are you using? It comes with Ortofon Red here, but that could always be upgraded later, or never.
I’m using an Audio Technica VM540ML but I’ve heard the VM95ML is also a great match with the Technics arm (and less expensive). The Ortofon Red isn’t great, but it gets the job done to start out. You could upgrade to the Blue stylus, but for similar or less money I’d probably go Audio Technica.

dr0ss

You are sidestepping. I am not saying dictionary/Wikipedia definition for the turntable is wrong, I am saying your definition "jukebox=turntable" is wrong.
Good thing I never said that. At best I said jukebox⊆turntable. Which is clearly true, by any reasonable definition of turntable.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

You are sidestepping. I am not saying dictionary/Wikipedia definition for the turntable is wrong, I am saying your definition "jukebox=turntable" is wrong. Likewise, "bus" is not the same as "car", although both have motor, transmission, wheels, one steering wheel, break pedal and gas pedal, and they both work exactly in the same principle and both carry passengers from point A to point B.

This off-topic went too far. I will not engage in this further.
Vladimir, do you ever simultaneously entertain two opposing propositions, not knowing which one is actually correct? Or consider that two opposing propositions might each contain some elements of truth? Also, do you ever try to extract what other people are trying to express, versus correcting what they are saying? I'm not sure your journey on this thread is quite as fruitful as it could be for you.

dr0ss

OK, so maybe this is a misunderstanding of English? If I say that Spaniels are dogs, that doesn't mean that "Spaniel"="dog", but that "Spaniel" is a type of dog. The English verb "to be" sometimes indicates identity, but also sometimes denotes subset. The set of Spaniels is a proper subset of the set of dogs. Not all turntables are changers, but all changers are turntables. Including the big, flashy ones with complicated changing mechanisms.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

In a fixed magnetic field (or any field which satisfies the same partial differential equations) you get instability in one dimension. The way around that is to move the field. You can do this by spinning permanent magnets ("spin-stabilization", like the Levitron tops) or by moving the field, which is what the trains do (since they also using the moving fields for propulsion) and what this turntable do.

If you se permanent magnets in the bearings, you eliminate contact at the base of the bearing (or top, depending on how the bearing is orientated), but because of the essential instability it might increase friction at the sides of the bearing. Whether that would be significant I don't know, I've been tempted to buy a cheap belt-drive table and modify the bearings with magnets. Maybe when I retire and have some time...

Yeah, me too. What slays me is how tables that were considered 'ordinary' back in the day are now so highly regarded. My father's shop was one of the first Panasonic dealers in Chicago, so of course I had a Technics table as a kid. Pretty much everyone else at my college (this was the mid 70s) had a table that would have been deemed better at the time. Nowadays the same Technics direct drive line is highly acclaimed.
That's really interesting. I remember when Technics splashed onto the electronics scene, and I'd hate to count how many Panasonic items I've owned over the years. The best brand for consistent durability across the product range, preferable to the other giant, Sony, imo.

And I'm strongly leaning to the Technics at this moment. A key reason is a long standing mistrust of belt drive after the Thorens I once owned. At some point the belt began to slip and had to be replaced. Of course my new table will no longer face student party conditions.

dr0ss

And I'm strongly leaning to the Technics at this moment. A key reason is a long standing mistrust of belt drive after the Thorens I once owned. At some point the belt began to slip and had to be replaced. Of course my new table will no longer face student party conditions.
OTOH, direct drive tables have electronics that could fail. My old Technics might still work -- we put it into storage when the cue lever stopped working (probably just needs more damping fluid) -- but we also have a Denon from the period where the electronics failed, and while I'm handy with a soldering iron the PCB is too highly populated for me to diagnose the issue. That's the main reason I didn't recommend getting a classic Denon table, which otherwise are works of art.

I've been a Technics/Panasonic/National fanboy since those early days. Twice a year white-lab-coated inspectors from the factory would come to the store to make sure everything was set up and displayed properly; it was quite a sight, especially as at my father's shop (in the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago) everything inside and out was a bit run down.

drmevo

OTOH, direct drive tables have electronics that could fail. My old Technics might still work -- we put it into storage when the cue lever stopped working (probably just needs more damping fluid) -- but we also have a Denon from the period where the electronics failed, and while I'm handy with a soldering iron the PCB is too highly populated for me to diagnose the issue. That's the main reason I didn't recommend getting a classic Denon table, which otherwise are works of art.

I've been a Technics/Panasonic/National fanboy since those early days. Twice a year white-lab-coated inspectors from the factory would come to the store to make sure everything was set up and displayed properly; it was quite a sight, especially as at my father's shop (in the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago) everything inside and out was a bit run down.
Really any modern turntable is going to have electronics that can fail, though. At least, anything with decent speed control. Yes, a 30- or 40-year old Technics might have some issues from a beer being spilled on it at the club back in its DJ days, but a brand new one like the 1500c should be reliable for years with virtually no maintenance. And if it does need work, there are tons of technicians who work on them.

Top Bottom