• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Turntables as an art form

Artsfols

I'm looking for a turntable but with a bit of a skew on the requirements. I won't actually be using it a lot. I have a few albums and I play them mainly for nostalgic purposes. I've been looking at turntables online: Sony, Fluance, Rega, et cetera. At a $600 to $1200 CDN price point it seems like I'll get decent enough sound quality.
But I want something that looks really cool. I had a look at the offerings at our local Best Buy and, frankly, the build quality did not compare with what one sees in the manufacturers' photos. One brand was particularly poor - I don't think it's fair to name it based on a quick impression, but it looked like sloppy mactac pasted on particle board.
I know I can spend $3000 and get a work of functional art, but I don't want to spend THAT much.
So ... who makes the best looking turntable at my price point? Links and photos would be great.
I would also like a built-in phono preamp. Or a very small separate that I can stick on the back part of my stereo cabinet.
I'm not ignoring all practical considerations either. I want a good cartridge, a tone arm that isn't going to play the label if I'm not right there, and adjustable feet for levelling.
I'll be playing the turntable through a Denon X3700H, Totem Arro speakers, Totem sub.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Here you can find inspiration regarding the looks: :)

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
I would also like a built-in phono preamp. Or a very small separate that I can stick on the back part of my stereo cabinet.
I'll be playing the turntable through a Denon X3700H
Why do you need a turntable with a built-in phone preamp or a separate phono preamp? Your Denon already has a phono preamp built in.
But I want something that looks really cool.
Can you give some details? I ask because these look cool to me:
And I worry you may be looking for something that looks like this:

DanielT

Major Contributor
But I want something that looks really cool......... a work of functional art....
Cool looks and art what is that? Likes and tastes differ.:)

Jean-Michel Basquiat
61I3ZHJMgmL._AC_SY780_.jpg

Hilma af Klint
nedladdning (2).jpeg

images (1).jpeg

Edit:
I myself would not plug in a vintage, if it is now considered cool looks, record player without a vintage amplifier / receiver plus speakers that are in line with it. I would go for the complete package. But that's me.:)

Like this:
images (2).jpeg

(not my stuff)

The vintage craze.:)

Last edited:
OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Why do you need a turntable with a built-in phone preamp or a separate phono preamp? Your Denon already has a phono preamp built in.

Can you give some details? I ask because these look cool to me:
And I worry you may be looking for something that looks like this:
Regarding the Triangle Art - I don't want something that looks like it will wake up and stab my eyes out in the middle of the night. LOL.

I can't use video output when I use the phono preamp in the Denon. I have a computer hooked up to my Denon and work on the big screen TV while listening to music. If I hook the turntable up to a line level input I'll be able to use the computer while listening to an album.

That's the first non-ugly Audio Technica I have seen. I don't need strobe lights and what all. At least I don't think I need it.

The problem with the photos is that I worry about fit and finish. What is the Music Hall made from? Just veneer or shellac on particle board? I don't want that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Cool looks and art what is that? Likes and tastes differ.:)

Jean-Michel Basquiat
View attachment 254044

Hilma af Klint
View attachment 254045

View attachment 254046

Edit:
I myself would not plug in a vintage, if it is now considered cool looks, record player without a vintage amplifier / receiver plus speakers that are in line with it. I would go for the complete package. But that's me.:)

Like this:
View attachment 254050
(not my stuff)

The vintage craze.:)
Of course, it's all relative. But people can tell me what they think, and it might or might not suit me. Decades ago, I had a B&O turntable - no, not the linear tracking one. I loved it, and the integrated cartridge and tonearm worked a treat. The turntable had one button. So minimalism appeals to me greatly. I found I could get that turntable again, reconditioned, but email'd the individual in Denmark and did not get a reply. Probably not a good idea anyway.

MAB

Major Contributor
Music Hall is walnut veneer over MDF.
The Project is lacquered MDF.
The Audio Technica is plastic (I think).

Of course, it's all relative. But people can tell me what they think, and it might or might not suit me. Decades ago, I had a B&O turntable - no, not the linear tracking one. I loved it, and the integrated cartridge and tonearm worked a treat. The turntable had one button. So minimalism appeals to me greatly. I found I could get that turntable again, reconditioned, but email'd the individual in Denmark and did not get a reply. Probably not a good idea anyway.
Yeah, to me this looks great:
index.php

Start and stop and speed selectors. But even this had rosewood veneer over MDF end caps. I replaced them with actual rosewood.

To my eye the Music Hall looks good at the local shop, and has a built-in phono preamp, will sound fine, and won't break the bank.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

index.php

Start and stop and speed selectors. But even this had rosewood veneer over MDF end caps. I replaced them with actual rosewood.

To my eye the Music Hall looks good at the local shop, and has a built-in phono preamp, will sound fine, and won't break the bank.
That's a phono installation and system for sure...lol. Extra cartridges, extra tonearms and a 2 arm table.... What's not to like?

Reactions: MAB
OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

If so, buy one? :) Or why not?

What model is it? Unusual?
I believe it was this Beogram 1500.

Possibly the 1902. I distinctly remember the rectangular control in the lower control. Most B&O turntables have a round one. These turntables have scratches and dents so I am not sure. But I love the look. And the functionality. I remember a good friend of mine around that time had bought a Japanese stereo with a number of components and all kinds of lights and controls that were not needed. He so wanted me to tell him how impressed I was with his new stereo but I simply couldn't do it. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it was this Beogram 1500.

Possibly the 1902. I distinctly remember the rectangular control in the lower control. Most B&O turntables have a round one. These turntables have scratches and dents so I am not sure. But I love the look. And the functionality. I remember a good friend of mine around that time had bought a Japanese stereo with a number of components and all kinds of lights and controls that were not needed. He so wanted me to tell him how impressed I was with his new stereo but I simply couldn't do it. :)
I see the allure of a fine linear tracker but the table is spartan.
z bO.png

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

index.php

Thank you. This is exactly the kind of information I wanted to get on the thread.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Spartan is what I like.

BTW, about the famous B&O linear tracker. B&O bought back a large number of old, used ones, reconditioned them and they are going for $15,000 each.

If you like it elegant and simple then fly at it for sure. :D
$15K is big bucks for a table. Wowowow.
Have you looked at the Technics linear trackers?

MAB

Major Contributor
That's a phono installation and system for sure...lol. Extra cartridges, extra tonearms and a 2 arm table.... What's not to like?
Thanks. I was shamelessly showing off!:cool:
I bought the table for a $125 in 1990. It needed a small amount of care to get back to good condition.
The dust cover was new old stock in the early days of eBay. It cost as much as the table.
Most of the cartridges and tonearms are from a dear old friend who was a rep for Sumiko in the '80s. I sold a good portion of his collection on eBay and Audiogon for him after he retired.
I like tinkering, so this table is fun.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I was shamelessly showing off!:cool:
I bought the table for a $125 in 1990. It needed a small amount of care to get back to good condition.
The dust cover was new old stock in the early days of eBay. It cost as much as the table.
Most of the cartridges and tonearms are from a dear old friend who was a rep for Sumiko in the '80s. I sold a good portion of his collection on eBay and Audiogon for him after he retired.
I like tinkering, so this table is fun.
Yes, I was looking and imagining what is entailed in swapping out a arm and realigning and calibrating everything. A labor of love I suppose.

OP
Artsfols

Artsfols

If you like it elegant and simple then fly at it for sure. :D
$15K is big bucks for a table. Wowowow.
Have you looked at the Technics linear trackers?
Do you think it might be overkill for oh, 15 vinyl albums? At one time I had 7-800.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think it might be overkill for oh, 15 vinyl albums? At one time I had 7-800.
It depends. If me and I had deep pockets I would buy the B&O and admire it every time I used it and consider it as a topping on the stack of gear. If on a budget I would not even bother with buying a turntable. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see the allure of a fine linear tracker but the table is spartan.
View attachment 254084
Been a while since I've seen one of these. Nice clean lines but still kinda looks like a cheap department store offering at the same time. TT as art or important aesthetically? No more than other audio gear, none of it particularly good looking except to the user :)

Top Bottom