• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube vs Solid State Amplifiers

egellings

Major Contributor
Audioholics just posted:
"Tube vs Solid State Amplifiers: Which Sound Best?"

I learned a lot.

Can we learn anything new from this video, or is it what ASR already knows?

Also, at 40min:10sec, Matt from Audioholics mentioned ASR and he posted a graph from Hypex NC400's review. :D

Thoughts?
Which sounds best? It's in the ear of the beholder.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not so much. The only issue tube preamps often have is driving low impedances; other than that, for the small voltage swings needed, the designs are easy. You have to do something really special to screw them up, and even tube preamps from the 50s and 60s can perform quite well.
My experience with them was probably not the design itself but noise from the low level tubes. ??

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Which sounds best? It's in the ear of the beholder.
If there's an actual measurable - audible difference, the one that's closest to a straight wire with gain. ;)

egellings

Major Contributor
If there's an actual measurable - audible difference, the one that's closest to a straight wire with gain. ;)
That's true if you like high accuracy in sound rather than something euphonic-sounding. Some amplifiers do have tone controls. Readers of this site would go for accuracy, natch'.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That's true if you like high accuracy in sound rather than something euphonic-sounding. Some amplifiers do have tone controls. Readers of this site would go for accuracy, natch'.
"Euphonics" are something that can always be added to a accurate system if desired.
OTOH if your system distorts the source from the very start, there's no way to remove it.
You'll be stuck with that sound until you decide to replace the offending component.

egellings

Major Contributor
"Euphonics" are something that can always be added to a accurate system if desired.
OTOH if your system distorts the source from the very start, there's no way to remove it.
You'll be stuck with that sound until you decide to replace the offending component.
When I'm feeling clinical, then I hit the tone control defeat switch.

Top Bottom