• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube Amp with the "Good Kind of Distortion"

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the way. Better and cheaper than vintage tracers. Unsurprisingly, lots of tube 'experts' swear by vintage gear that performs worse.
Yes, and no CRT screenshots made with 35mm camera gear and a hood. It's pure PC based. For reaLZ! :D
Behold... A oscilloscope camera for a Tektronix O-scope.
s-l1600.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Yes, and no CRT screenshots made with 35mm camera gear and a hood. It's pure PC based. For reaLZ! :D
s-l1600.jpg
Admittedly I am a little jealous of people who got to cherry pick gear from old lab cleanout day. I would love to play around with this stuff if some of it fell in my lap.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Admittedly I am a little jealous of people who got to cherry pick gear from old lab cleanout day. I would love to play around with this stuff if some of it fell in my lap.
I've handled some of the Tektronix camera gear on 7000 series scopes for demonstration and getting a look at how it all looked and it's all beasty equipment. No pictures taken just assembled the gear and checked it out.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
s-l1600.jpg
I think that was a polaroid camera back. I never actually used one but that's my memory.

egellings

Major Contributor
The amplifier will not be harmed by using either tube. Performance may vary.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hello all member
I am newbee, I need some help about my McIntosh C8 tube preamp, I want to buy new tubes for C8, but the stock tube have letter A at end of tube modelname ( 12AX7A ), and all tubes on market no letter A on it ( 12AX7 )
question is can I buy tube 12AX7 without letter A and use on C8 ?
Thank you all
The 12AX7A has a different filament configuration (spiral wound) to reduce noise and/or hum.

There are reports on the internet :) that the unsuffixed version can only be used with parallel filament circuits, while the "A" morph can be used with series or parallel filament circuits, but I am not at all sure that is true. That said, generally speaking*, the "A" suffix referred to a tube with a controlled heater warm up time, which is (more or less) required for series filament strings, and tubes like the 12AX7 were occasionally (OK, more than occasionally!) used in transformerless (!), so called "AC-DC" series string filament electronic equipment. Such designs were rightly known, even when they were common in consumer products, known as "killer" circuits. With a nonpolarized AC mains plug, there was a 50-50 chance of the chassis being "hot" (i.e., directly connected to the hot side of the AC supply). :(

The two spec sheets above from RCA's HB-3 reference are pretty much "Gospel".

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
since I mentioned "Killer" transformerless circuit designs :cool::facepalm: it seems only fair to illustrate one. Note the configuration of the power supply in this charming "spud"* stereo amplifier, using the redoubtable (not) 60FX5 tube. The two tubes' 60 volt filaments are in series with each other and the 120 VAC supply.

60FX5stereoampresized.jpg

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/BOOKSHELF-ARH/RCA-Books/RCA-Receiving-Tube-Manual-1964-RC-23.pdf page 590

* In vacuum tube DIY parlance, a "spud amp" is one that uses a single vacuum tube (in this case, a single vacuum tube per channel) with no other active components (other than the HV rectifier diode). Thus, a "spud" amp is a "one tuber". ;)

This is the other kind of spud/tuber, for those for whom English may not be a primary language:

2088a9213fa7c8548040225d3257f31e

Last edited:

dienson

The 12AX7A has a different filament configuration (spiral wound) to reduce noise and/or hum.

There are reports on the internet :) that the unsuffixed version can only be used with parallel filament circuits, while the "A" morph can be used with series or parallel filament circuits, but I am not at all sure that is true. That said, generally speaking*, the "A" suffix referred to a tube with a controlled heater warm up time, which is (more or less) required for series filament strings, and tubes like the 12AX7 were occasionally (OK, more than occasionally!) used in transformerless (!), so called "AC-DC" series string filament electronic equipment. Such designs were rightly known, even when they were common in consumer products, known as "killer" circuits. With a nonpolarized AC mains plug, there was a 50-50 chance of the chassis being "hot" (i.e., directly connected to the hot side of the AC supply). :(

The two spec sheets above from RCA's HB-3 reference are pretty much "Gospel".

Just ask if anyone know can replace 12AX7 to 12AX7A ( stock tubes on McIntosh C8 Preampplifier ?
Thank bro Have a good weekend

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
mhardy6647: Thank you
I am not pro to understand what you wrote, thank you anyway
Just ask if anyone know can replace 12AX7 to 12AX7A ( stock tubes on McIntosh C8 Preampplifier ?
So... yes... assuming your Mac doesn't have a series filament string.
Which is a pretty darned safe assumption. :)

No good reason to do so, though. The "A" tubes should peform a little better in terms of S/N.
Do you have specific tubes in mind?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
mhardy6647: Thank you
I am not pro to understand what you wrote, thank you anyway
If in doubt, I'd just use the "A" spec ones.

dienson

So... yes... assuming your Mac doesn't have a series filament string.
Which is a pretty darned safe assumption. :)

No good reason to do so, though. The "A" tubes should peform a little better in terms of S/N.
Do you have specific tubes in mind?
I want to try this :

Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 tube (ECC83),​

one month my amp kill one tubes, i am waiting to replace from bestbuy, now I don't want to use preamp, I know get tubes from Mac so slow, then want to buy another tubes use this waiting time,
one thing I try swap the dead tube around,
if swap the dead tube to V1 or V2 the sound on left or right off (no sound)
if swap the dead tube to V3 or V4 the sound light not warm, a little distort, but sound out left right okie
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpeg
    IMG_0122.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
here the ones I want to buy, but it haven't letter"A"

Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 tube (ECC83)​

I'm sure they will be fine.