• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to understand the turntable/vinyl world...

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For my

for my styli, that cleaner is the equivalent of about 40 styli and cartridges, so would take a long time to make it worth it, to me. Rather put my money in other places. I think if I was going to get a machine I’d go for one of the ultrasonics. Some of the fully automated ones are becoming pretty inexpensive (comparatively).
I really like my HumminGuru, which costs less than the retail on either of my current cartridges.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'd rather listen to my favorite music in the best quality 2022 technology has to offer.

it's ok ... and tolerance to different people is also very good. Some people finds a connection with the music through analog format ... and the sound is not bad at all.
If analog sounded really "bad" (128kbps mp3 as an example) i wouldn't stand it. Period.

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like my HumminGuru, which costs less than the retail on either of my current cartridges.
There back in stock! That’s one I am pretty tempted by.

mike70

i have a vacuum RCM ... not totally automatic as the HummingGuru but does a pretty good job.
i don't like 3 things about ultrasonic RCMs:
- the amount of water you need to use
- water filtering (other thing to keep an eye on it, maintenance)
- air dry (without suction you can dry some dirty water on the record)

but ... is my opinion .. maybe the "automated" part in that kind of machine wins hands down :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
don't forget the artist revenue ... we're killing good music with streaming
Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i have a vacuum RCM ... not totally automatic as the HummingGuru but does a pretty good job.

but ... is my opinion .. maybe the "automated" part in that kind of machine wins hands down :)
The HumminGuru is a big price/performance break with older ultrasonics; I would not have purchased an Audio Desk. It uses 400 ml of distilled water to clean both sides of about 10-20 records, depending on their condition. Previously, I was using about 10-20 ml of cleaning fluid to vacuum clean one side of a record. The filtering is modest; a filter at the bottom of the cleaning chamber and a simple filter in the water basin. May have to replace filters, but no "velvet lips" to replace. It uses fans to dry the record, taking 2 or 5 minutes per record to dry.

What really made me set aside my Record Doctor was the automation. I poo-pooed that at first, but the automation really does encourage more cleaning of records. The fact I can pop a record in and walk away has led me to re-clean much of my collection without hassle. I find the HumminGuru removes deep groove grunge that the Record Doctor would sometimes miss.

Streaming music fans would likely roll their eyes at yet another reason to not buy vinyl. For those who have invested in collections that they enjoy, it's an easier means to ensure the best playback with current audio gear.

mike70

I poo-pooed that at first, but the automation really does encourage more cleaning of records. The fact I can pop a record in and walk away has led me to re-clean much of my collection without hassle.

well, that can be the big difference for me ... unatended cleaning ... the real nirvana.

how do you check the filters? or HummingGuru specify an amount of hours to change it?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
well, that can be the big difference for me ... unatended cleaning ... the real nirvana.

how do you check the filters? or HummingGuru specify an amount of hours to change it?
Both filters are checked by visual inspection. The filter in the water basin is a white polyester mat, similar to that found in fish tanks. It can be replaced easily when it’s no longer cleanable by rinsing. The chamber filter is also rinsed to clean.

The whole setup is pretty unfussy, yet effective. I just cleaned a 40 year old record as I was typing this note.

dlaloum

Major Contributor

Vacc RCM is part of the regular routine... (or periodic routine)

U-RCM are really only required as a once off deep clean - they will remove grunge from deep in the groove that other methods have trouble with, not designed for regular daily use!

Typically when using the URCM I follow with the Vacc-RCM in any case.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Why not just line the LP's up in your kitchen dishwasher and let it run, fully automate the process. o_O

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Why not just line the LP's up in your kitchen dishwasher and let it run, fully automate the process. o_O
Sure - as long as you don't care about the labels... - and it doesn't get the deep in the groove grunge that a UCM does.

All records on entry to the premises - go through enzymatic soak, cleaning with V-RCM, then UCM, then they are ready to go into the regular use pattern along with other records....

Having a UCM that can handle 4 or more records at a time, helps!

Godataloss

-I clean 50+ records with a gallon and a half of distilled water and 4 ml of cleaner ~$2
-water filtering is not necessary
-a simple rinse in warm distilled and quick spin removes most of the clean rinse water. Hang to dry for 20 minutes. I get zero residue and never have to touch the playing surface. I can clean 50 records in four hours with 90% of that time being hands free waiting on the cleaner to do it's thing while I do other things.

Godataloss

I guess you're purposely ignoring the fact that streaming isn't the only source of digital music? :facepalm: LOL

If you enjoy collecting any of the above as a investment hobby that's great, have all the joy it brings you..
I'd rather listen to my favorite music in the best quality 2022 technology has to offer.
Clearly that's not what I said since I have 6TB of digital music including as I previously mentioned many digital copies that come with the purchase of records. I'm even considering adding a CD player to my main system (gasp). I do pay for a streaming service, because the convenience of playing virtually anything I want on every system I own inside and outside the house simultaneously is worth it to me. I too listen to music in the best quality 2022 can offer and manage not to denigrate the way anyone else facilitates that at the same time- especially since I know realistically my almost 50 year old ears are likely skewed more to LP-level fidelity than DSD these days. Time comes for us all. Unfortunately it first robs us of our hearing and not our hubris.

mike70

-I clean 50+ records with a gallon and a half of distilled water and 4 ml of cleaner ~$2
-water filtering is not necessary
-a simple rinse in warm distilled and quick spin removes most of the clean rinse water. Hang to dry for 20 minutes. I get zero residue and never have to touch the playing surface. I can clean 50 records in four hours with 90% of that time being hands free waiting on the cleaner to do it's thing while I do other things.

ok, but dirt does not remain "floating" in the water? ... i mean, i suspect at some point you are cleaning in dirty water (without filtering)

Godataloss

ok, but dirt does not remain "floating" in the water? ... i mean, i suspect at some point you are cleaning in dirty water (without filtering)
Once the micelles are filled up with emulsified contaminants they fall to the bottom of the tank. If the records are exceptionally dirty, I'll do a quick prewash in the sink so the cleaning solution lasts longer, but this isn't usually necessary. I don't like to do any mechanical cleaning of the record surface if I don't have to. Filtering is pointless and just added by certain manufacturers as a 'feature' to justify crazy prices. It's not like you can separate the contaminants once they are trapped by the detergents with mechanical filtration anyway. Once the micelles are used up, they are useless and it's time for new solution. You wouldn't use the same water for bathing after you washed your dog in it and then pumped it through a porous sponge filter would you? Distilled is .80 a gallon. I blend my own cleaner for a nominal cost that I've more than offset by selling it to others. I've cleaned thousands of records with my diy ultrasonic over the last 5 or 6 years with fantastic results. Keep it simple.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once the micelles are filled up with emulsified contaminants they fall to the bottom of the tank. If the records are exceptionally dirty, I'll do a quick prewash in the sink so the cleaning solution lasts longer, but this isn't usually necessary. I don't like to do any mechanical cleaning of the record surface if I don't have to. Filtering is pointless and just added by certain manufacturers as a 'feature' to justify crazy prices. It's not like you can separate the contaminants once they are trapped by the detergents with mechanical filtration anyway. Once the micelles are used up, they are useless and it's time for new solution. You wouldn't use the same water for bathing after you washed your dog in it and then pumped it through a porous sponge filter would you? Distilled is .80 a gallon. I blend my own cleaner for a nominal cost that I've more than offset by selling it to others. I've cleaned thousands of records with my diy ultrasonic over the last 5 or 6 years with fantastic results. Keep it simple.
Do you have any recommendations for making a DIY ultrasonic?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
News Flash,

On this day in history, August 12, 1877, Thomas Edison invents the phonograph​

Thomas looks pissed, is it the surface noise or the Rice Krispies?
Thomas-Edison-phonograph-getty.jpg

1660319536096.jpeg

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vacc RCM is part of the regular routine... (or periodic routine)

U-RCM are really only required as a once off deep clean - they will remove grunge from deep in the groove that other methods have trouble with, not designed for regular daily use!

Typically when using the URCM I follow with the Vacc-RCM in any case.
I find the HumminGuru to be suitable for routine cleaning because of its automation. You can set a cleaning time of 2 minutes or 5 minutes, with or without a drying cycle of the same selectable durations. I only use my vacuum RCM now for really grungy thrift store finds as a prelude to ultrasonic cleaning. I use a fairly dilute homebrew solution with very good results thus far.

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
News Flash,

On this day in history, August 12, 1877, Thomas Edison invents the phonograph​

Thomas looks pissed, is it the surface noise or the Rice Krispies?
Thomas-Edison-phonograph-getty.jpg
He knew you'd be devoting hours of your life, 145 years later, to saying the same negative things about his invention, over and over - ad nauseum, ad infinitum, ad....derall!? - and, as you can well imagine, he's not best pleased!

The look is a mix of scorn and derision ;).

mike70

He knew you'd be devoting hours of your life, 145 years later, to saying the same negative things about his invention, over and over - ad nauseum, ad infinitum, ad....derall!? - and, as you can well imagine, he's not best pleased!

The look is a mix of scorn and derision ;).

There are intolerant people who loves to be unpleasant. Go ahead.

Top Bottom