• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to find the best DAC+Amp combo for the HD800s, under $900. Was originally leaning towards Schiit products, but they don't seem to review well.

What is the best sub-$900 Schiit DAC and Amp Combo, SPECIFICALLY for the Sennheiser HD800s?

• Modius & Lyr+

• Modius & Jotunheim 2

• Jotunheim 2 with its ES-9028 DAC Card

• Jotunheim 2 with its Multibit DAC Card

• Modius & Valhalla 2

• Modi & Magni

• A Topping Stack (Please state Model in comments)

• JDS Labs Atom Stack

• Some other brand (Please state products in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

johny_2000

I vote for the TOPPING stack (multiple combos) because of its superior performance. But JDS Labs ATOM DAC2+AMP2 also looks good. The disadvantages of JDS Labs devices are the old DAC chip and analog (potentiometric) volume control. Both of these factors can degrade SNR / Crosstalk / Channel imbalance specs, but this is probably only measurable with equipment and not generally audible.

OP
Quinton595

Quinton595

The noise doesn't get higher, but the ratio of noise to signal gets higher. SNR is the ratio of signal to noise. Think of noise as being at a constant level. When you turn down the signal, that ratio gets smaller (worse). That's an oversimplification, but it is essentially how it works. Most amps measure SNR at max output, which nobody uses. This is why Amir measures it at 50 mV, to get a more useful real-world comparison. Just because amp A has a higher SNR than amp B at max output, doesn't necessarily mean amp A is higher than amp B at the low to moderate volume settings actually used for listening.

Amir measured the Jotunehim 2 SNR at 84 dB at 50 mV. Lowish voltage sensitivity headphones like the HD800 use relatively higher voltage / volume settings, so this should be sufficient to make that headphone entirely noise-free at normal listening levels. If, OTOH, you plugged in IEMs with high voltage sensitivty, you would be using lower volume settings for the same sound level and might hear some low level noise/hiss.

PS: the new JDS Atom measures an impressive 94 dB SNR at 50 mV, a full 10 dB better than the Jotunheim. You probably won't hear the difference with HD800 headphones, but you could hear the difference with highly sensitive headphones that use lower volume settings. I listen to my Jotunheim 2 with HD-580 headphones which have similar voltage sensitivity to the HD800, and even with highly dynamic classical music the noise is so quiet I'd have to crank it up to painful levels to hear it.

In general.
This was a wonderful explanation, thank you. It makes total sense to me now. I guess I just assumed that noise wasn't a constant. I always thought that background noise was amplified just like the signal, depending on volume/gain.

Smaller, easier-to-drive headphones and IEMs are able to move their drivers/sound-emission-device more easily, with less voltage, so that means the noise get's proportionally stronger, eventually strong enough to move the drivers by itself, thereby becoming audible, ya? And the harder-to-drive stuff, with a lower voltage sensitivity, needs more voltage to move than the noise is able to provide, and so it's inaudible. Is that the general gist of it?

I don't intend to ever get different headphones, it'll just be the HD800s on my head for the next 10+ years, hopefully. In this case, the Jotunheim becomes viable.

Viable, however, isn't the same thing as best. Sure, I CAN use the Jotunheim, but is there actually a reason to? Is there anything it does better than the JDS Atom line or the Topping line?

BTW when it comes to EQ, there are two kinds:

1. Room / headphone correction Here you need a precision scalpel. Parametric EQ with multiple bands, so you can set the precise frequency, amplitude, and width of each. Ideally, with memory settings so you can define a multi-band profile for each of your headphones or rooms and punch it in with a click.

2. Recording correction Here you need something much simpler, just a simple tone tilt control, or bass/treble, to adjust brighter / darker. No recording is perfect and some things (like dynamic compression) can't be fixed. But a simple adjustment to bring excessively bright or dark recordings closer to neutral goes a long way toward musical enjoyment.

Many of the EQs on the market try to do both, which means failing at both. If it's flexible enough to adequately correct headphone response (multi band parametric EQ), it's too complex to fuss with when all you want to do is tame an excessively bright recording. And if it has knobs at specific frequencies instead of true parametric EQ, more than 2 or 3 knobs makes it more complex than you need to adjust recordings, while still being insufficient to correct headphone response.

Thinking of it this way helps clarify what you need, for what purpose. You might want only one, only the other, and if both they are 2 different things.

EQ is very new to me, so, so far, I'm just meddling with 10-band or 15-band EQ, not full parametric. I don't just want an EQ for my music, though, I want a Windows-PC-wide EQ, because I want ALL sound to be EQ'ed, including music I play on Youtube, sound in games, etc. Got any suggestions?

Of course, going the hardware EQ route means it's automatically EQ-ing everything. However, knob-based hardware EQ's only offer a few knobs, a few bands. I'd have to get a digital-interface EQ that allows for proper 10-band, 15-band, or parametric EQ. Again, got any suggestions?

I've has the HD800s many times including last week (see profile picture) and they sound good on a lot of things. The ones you can't go wrong with from personal experience:
JDS Atom + Amp/DAC combo
Topping L30 II/E30 II
Topping E50/L50
SMSL DO400 (listening to one now, this thing sounds great)
Schiit Magni/Modi (but now would recommend the Heretic because the volume wheel location on the Magni Heresy will drive you crazy eventually)

People who say they're "picky" about amplifiers are suffering from deflection. The HD800s sounds good on a lot of high quality, affordable stacks. If it's got digital volume control for perfect channel matching, even better. It's the people who are picky about amplifiers, and they're blaming the headphones. The silent noise floor of the L30 II and also L50 are really good. There's a new JDS Atom 2 combo out, which I'm sure is even better, but haven't heard it yet. I'd have enough faith in JDS Labs to buy one blind though.
Thanks for chiming in. Since you've actually tried the HD800s on those different platforms, I'm curious to know if you actually heard any differences between them.

Like, a lot of people will say "numbers don't lie, all amps and dacs beyond a certain point sound identical, because they measure identically within the gamut of human hearing. Noise, distortion, and so on are all too low to be heard, so no matter what amp or dac you use, the sound is GOING to be the same. "

But then you get an equal number of people saying "Are you kidding? Different DACs and Amps sound completely different, AND they have to work synergistically with each other. Such and such amp improves the soundstage, such and such dac improves the retrieval, such and such amp makes it warmer, etc. etc.

It leaves people like me going "Okay, so which one is it? Do amps and DACs just amplify and convert? Or DO they truly flavour the sound in some way?

johny_2000

Of course, going the hardware EQ route means it's automatically EQ-ing everything. However, knob-based hardware EQ's only offer a few knobs, a few bands. I'd have to get a digital-interface EQ that allows for proper 10-band, 15-band, or parametric EQ. Again, got any suggestions?
Equalizer APO + Peace interface. AutoEQ database at your fingertips.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Viable, however, isn't the same thing as best. Sure, I CAN use the Jotunheim, but is there actually a reason to? Is there anything it does better than the JDS Atom line or the Topping line? ...
Already explained. The Jotunheim does both balanced and unbalanced, both inputs and outputs, and is more powerful, has a better volume knob, and a DAC built in. And it has an internal power supply. And its line level outputs are switchable manually instead of triggered by plugging in the headphones like on the Atom. The Jotunheim is the one-box-does-it-all solution. The JDS Atom is unbalanced only, two separate devices (DAC and amp), both have external wall-warts, and the amp is less powerful though it does have lower noise. The JDS Atom has more than ample power for the HD800 so you won't need the Jotunheim's higher power output. And the Atom's lower noise won't make a difference on HD800 but it could make a difference with other more sensitive headphones.

Really you can't go wrong either way, it's only question of what you prefer.

... EQ is very new to me, so, so far, I'm just meddling with 10-band or 15-band EQ, not full parametric. I don't just want an EQ for my music, though, I want a Windows-PC-wide EQ, because I want ALL sound to be EQ'ed, including music I play on Youtube, sound in games, etc. Got any suggestions?
If you're using Windows, Foobar2000 is the way to go. Free and open source with built-in EQ plugins, and it also supports exclusive mode so you get bit-perfect audio bypassing the Windows audio system resampling. But it's not full system, only for music played with that app.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't done this yet. What causes this?
It is a option to allow automatic updates to the Peace Equalizer. I suggest to disable the auto updates because when it auto updates it loses settings or disables till you go into the options and get it operational again. Peace and it's options look like this.>>>
P-2.png

P-3.png

P-1.png

johny_2000

I suggest to disable the auto updates because when it auto updates it loses settings or disables till you go into the options and get it operational again.
Thanks for letting us know about this. I just recently installed it on my Windows PC and if it turns it off on automatic updates it will be very bad for me.
With my current EQs, the preamp settings are in the -7...-9 dB range. So I compensated for this loss of volume in the headphone amplifier.
When Peace instantly turns off, the system blasts music 2-3 times louder to my ears, which is scary.

OP
Quinton595

Quinton595

Already explained. The Jotunheim does both balanced and unbalanced, both inputs and outputs, and is more powerful, has a better volume knob, and a DAC built in. And it has an internal power supply. And its line level outputs are switchable manually instead of triggered by plugging in the headphones like on the Atom. The Jotunheim is the one-box-does-it-all solution. The JDS Atom is unbalanced only, two separate devices (DAC and amp), both have external wall-warts, and the amp is less powerful though it does have lower noise. The JDS Atom has more than ample power for the HD800 so you won't need the Jotunheim's higher power output. And the Atom's lower noise won't make a difference on HD800 but it could make a difference with other more sensitive headphones.

Really you can't go wrong either way, it's only question of what you prefer.

If you're using Windows, Foobar2000 is the way to go. Free and open source with built-in EQ plugins, and it also supports exclusive mode so you get bit-perfect audio bypassing the Windows audio system resampling. But it's not full system, only for music played with that app.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was asking a redundant question there.

What I was trying to get at is that if things like the Topping and JDS products TEST and MEASURE better than the Jotunheim, what are all of its features actually worth, in the auditory experience? It's balanced, yes, but what possible benefit does the balanced output bring, if the Topping and JDS are still measuring better than it? Balanced helps reduce noise, helps provide more gain, offers lower distortion, etc. etc., but the topping and JDS still measure better in all those criteria.

So, at least numerically, the UNbalanced Topping and JDS amps are still better than the BALANCED Jotunheim. What am I missing?

Likewise, it's more powerful, but human hearing maxes out at 85 dB before damage anyways, so there's only so much volume you can conceivably need. Everyone says the Topping and JDS products have more than enough power to run the Jotunheim, so what does having EVEN MORE power actually get me? Theoretically, it means I can drive EEEEEVEN HARDER-to-drive headphones, but, seeing as I don't intend to ever buy new headphones for the foreseeable future, that point is kinda moot. You even say this in your comment, I won't actually need the Jotunheim's output, so again, the Topping and JDS amps are just... better in every way.

That is, until we talk small details and things that arguably don't matter, like a wall wart vs an internal power supply, two separate devices vs one, etc. I'm sure these little details and buying-points matter to some, but they don't to me. I'm just trying to get good sound.

The reason I'm struggling to just accept that the Topping and JDS are unilaterally better is because people talk about amps and dacs as though there is more to them than just their measurements. Such and such amp improves the soundstage, such and such dac improves the retrieval, such and such amp makes it warmer, etc. etc.

I mean, I have come across a LARGE number of people all saying that The Jotunheim 2 and the Modius DAC are fine, but oh boy, just you wait until you get a Bifrost DAC. The soundstage in the headphones becomes so much larger, the detail retrievability becomes so much stronger, etc. etc. But like.... DACs just convert, no? The measurements just boil down to noise and distortion, no? So then how can so many people insist that these products have some je-ne-sais-quoi, some immeasurable special qualities to them? Is it really all placebo / confirmation bias?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for letting us know about this. I just recently installed it on my Windows PC and if it turns it off on automatic updates it will be very bad for me.
With my current EQs, the preamp settings are in the -7...-9 dB range. So I compensated for this loss of volume in the headphone amplifier.
When Peace instantly turns off, the system blasts music 3-4 times louder to my ears, which is scary.
I have had zero issues with the Peace EQ operation after disabling auto updates... It works solid and reliable.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason I'm struggling to just accept that the Topping and JDS are unilaterally better is because people talk about amps and dacs as though there is more to them than just their measurements. Such and such amp improves the soundstage, such and such dac improves the retrieval, such and such amp makes it warmer, etc. etc.

I mean, I have come across a LARGE number of people all saying that The Jotunheim 2 and the Modius DAC are fine, but oh boy, just you wait until you get a Bifrost DAC. The soundstage in the headphones becomes so much larger, the detail retrievability becomes so much stronger, etc. etc. But like.... DACs just convert, no? The measurements just boil down to noise and distortion, no? So then how can so many people insist that these products have some je-ne-sais-quoi, some immeasurable special qualities to them? Is it really all placebo / confirmation bias?
It's in their minds all these imaging and improvements of warmth and detail. Get the most powerful quality headphone amp for your price range and if you want absolute reliability get the one without a snazzy LED/LCD/OLED display. For this reason I bought a Schitt and I crank it loud all the timeee.

oleg87

You are asking this on ASR, so you will get one answer to this divisive question.

If two dacs/amps have flat frequency response in the audible frequency band, a thorough suite of measurements finds levels of distortion and noise that are inaudible in a typical listening scenario, and there is no meaningful differences in output impedance, they will almost certainly be *indistinguishable* going on sound alone. An amp cannot exhibit differences in "soundstage" or "detail" if it is producing the same exact signal as another amp, and I've never seen it persuasively argued by anyone what this ja-ne-sais-quoi is that eludes engineers' ability to measure their designs. But human hearing does not go on sound alone, so if you are listening for differences in loosely-controlled A/B tests, you will probably hear them. Much of audiophilia runs on the fact that most people have an entirely unwarranted level of confidence in the objectivity of their hearing, and properly blind-testing equipment is a giant pain in the ass.

That said, human ears are much worse distortion detectors than Audio Precision analyzers, so even equipment that doesn't sniff the top of Amir's charts, like the Jot 2, is going to sound just fine.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What I was trying to get at is that if things like the Topping and JDS products TEST and MEASURE better than the Jotunheim, what are all of its features actually worth, in the auditory experience?
Nothing. They are all well beyond audibilty levels.

It's balanced, yes, but what possible benefit does the balanced output bring,
Balanced out of a DAC into balanced in of an amplifier, when designed correctly, can prevent annoying ground-loops. Ground-loops can be (barely) audible sounds that should not be there.
Ground-loops don't HAVE to be there using RCA but possibly can be. Using balanced prevents that from occurring when making an audio system using computer audio/AVR setup.
There is NO benefit to sound quality nor background noise (all of which is of no concern with HD800S)

if the Topping and JDS are still measuring better than it? Balanced helps reduce noise, helps provide more gain, offers lower distortion, etc. etc., but the topping and JDS still measure better in all those criteria.
Balanced is about preventing possible ground-loops.

So, at least numerically, the UNbalanced Topping and JDS amps are still better than the BALANCED Jotunheim. What am I missing?
That the chance exists there MIGHT be a ground-loop in your home (is not equal to lab) conditions. There don't HAVE to be any though. Most RCA systems are perfectly quiet.

Likewise, it's more powerful, but human hearing maxes out at 85 dB before damage anyways, so there's only so much volume you can conceivably need.
To be able to play impressively loud you need the amp/headphone combo to reach 120dB SPL. This is PEAK power NOT continuous as music consists of peaks.
When you are bothered with tinnitus 115dB or even 110dB peak is enough and get rid of the treble peak !
120dB SPL peak requires your amp to reach 6V (= 120mW in 300ohm)
115dB SPL peak requires your amp to reach 3V (= 30mW in 300ohm)
110dB SPL peak requires your amp to reach 1.5V (= 10mW in 300ohm)

When you want Harman type of bass you need to add 10dB more headroom in the amp in which case for 120dB peak SPL (at 20Hz) you will need a 1W in 300ohm amplifier but in your case I would say 200mW amp in 300ohm is more than you will ever need.

Everyone says the Topping and JDS products have more than enough power to run the Jotunheim, so what does having EVEN MORE power actually get me?
See above. There is NO need to buy an amp with 'more power' as you will never need it and the nonsense that you need 1 jiggaWatts even if you never use more than 100mW because such an amp 'sounds better' is nonsense. When DO you need an amp that can provide more ? When you plan to buy/use headphones that are notoriously inefficient and you want those to play impressively loud. That basically is the only reason (and to boast to others how much power your amp has) to buy one.

Theoretically, it means I can drive EEEEEVEN HARDER-to-drive headphones, but, seeing as I don't intend to ever buy new headphones for the foreseeable future, that point is kinda moot. You even say this in your comment, I won't actually need the Jotunheim's output, so again, the Topping and JDS amps are just... better in every way.
Don't think better 'numbers' equates to better sound or longevity. They DON'T.

That is, until we talk small details and things that arguably don't matter, like a wall wart vs an internal power supply, two separate devices vs one, etc. I'm sure these little details and buying-points matter to some, but they don't to me. I'm just trying to get good sound.
Good sound can be had with ALL of the suggested devices and even with much poorer measuring devices as long as the S/N ratio is good. Distortion at max level better than 0.01% is not needed NOR audible in any way.

It's all nonsense. Soundstage in headphones is not amp/dac dependent but brain dependent (and or spatializers etc).

Yep, they don't want to hear (read) that but when you are inclined to believe all that, you should forget about ASR and the measurement game because measurements and (subjective) perceived sound quality, below certain numbers are NOT related in any way.

Last edited:

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seriously doubt that there is an audible difference between these good choices. Go with the features you need (and want), aesthetics and your gut ... If you are happy with your purchase you will be happy with the sound.

Enjoy the music :)

Mr Swing King

The thing I noted about the OP’s query is the fact that he wants something he can just plug in and be happy with the next 10 years or so.
For that to come true he needs a great build quality, and I’m not sure any of the options here are going to last that long under daily usage.
The Schiit’s I’ve owned/tried have all developed a noisy volume pot fairly quickly after me getting them. The cheap ones also weigh next to nothing and scate around the table when I started twerking to Rachmaninov.
The Atom amp I had was made of some frail Toys R’ Us plastic…and wouldn’t you know it..developed a noisy volume pot.
Topping was the best of the lot but still felt somewhat cheap compared to my Lake People amp…but I am also old and from a time where weight used to indicate some form of quality in Hi-Fi.

When you then count in the fact that the only real difference between all of these is appearance and possibly connections, it all comes down to reliability.
Sure if you live close to the Topping, SMSL or Schiit factory and can drop off your gear if or when it develops poor form, fantastic…but I would personally much rather pay for a more robust design via either Violectric or Lake People. That’s my dough though and my bias against the build I’ve encountered from the makes included in this poll.
Soundwise? They’re all the same when you can’t see what’s playing, most especially when using a 300 ohm Sennheiser.
Best of luck going forth:)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would personally much rather pay for a more robust design via either Violectric or Lake People.

OP
Quinton595

Quinton595

It's in their minds all these imaging and improvements of warmth and detail. Get the most powerful quality headphone amp for your price range and if you want absolute reliability get the one without a snazzy LED/LCD/OLED display. For this reason I bought a Schitt and I crank it loud all the timeee.

Right? Like that's my thought process too, but because I'm not super familiar/experienced with audio gear, I can't necessarily trust my own convictions, so when I start reading posts, I get swayed. In my mind, the science should be all that matters, and yet, so many seemingly rational people SWEAR up and down about such and such qualities to a specific unit....
@Quinton595 the new Schiit MAGNI is a great unit. Lots of power and simple and effective. 3 year warranty parts and labour.
Yes, thank you! I know the Magi an Modi are well-liked. I've just always wondered what exactly you're "giving up" by stepping down from the mid-tier units to these smaller ones. Or, to put it the other way, what you gain by stepping up from a magni and modi to a magnius and modius. "More Power", "Balanced Output", yadda yadda, but again, if it all comes down to measurements, and the noise and distortion are below what's audible anyway, then what are you ACTUALLY getting?

You are asking this on ASR, so you will get one answer to this divisive question.

If two dacs/amps have flat frequency response in the audible frequency band, a thorough suite of measurements finds levels of distortion and noise that are inaudible in a typical listening scenario, and there is no meaningful differences in output impedance, they will almost certainly be *indistinguishable* going on sound alone. An amp cannot exhibit differences in "soundstage" or "detail" if it is producing the same exact signal as another amp, and I've never seen it persuasively argued by anyone what this ja-ne-sais-quoi is that eludes engineers' ability to measure their designs. But human hearing does not go on sound alone, so if you are listening for differences in loosely-controlled A/B tests, you will probably hear them. Much of audiophilia runs on the fact that most people have an entirely unwarranted level of confidence in the objectivity of their hearing, and properly blind-testing equipment is a giant pain in the ass.

That said, human ears are much worse distortion detectors than Audio Precision analyzers, so even equipment that doesn't sniff the top of Amir's charts, like the Jot 2, is going to sound just fine.

I'm with you 100%. I guess I just don't know what to do with that information, because if there's no clear winner in a competition, how is a person to choose which one to buy? If the Topping, JDS, Modi/Magni are all equally good products that will sound the same, how do you decide to buy one over the other? I guess it just comes down to those secondary purchasing qualities, like looks, build quality, features, etc. I can get my head around that fairly easily, so long as the products are comparatively priced.

What really throws me off is when we're talking about two different price-points entirely, like if Topping's E30 line sounds every bit as good as the E70 line, from a numerical perspective, then what reason is there to spend so much more on the E70? Is it JUST for the features?. I mean, it's double the price, so can those little features really be worth that much? "Oh, but the E70 is balanced, while the E30 isn't", yes, but again, if they measure the same anyways... then the balanced output isn't really getting you anything, now is it? (Assuming short cables).

Basically, I don't really know WHY I would buy the Jot 2, or WHY I would buy the Topping or the JDS. I guess it's just down to a whim, and I don't do well with whim.

Nothing. They are all well beyond audibilty levels.

Balanced out of a DAC into balanced in of an amplifier, when designed correctly, can prevent annoying ground-loops. Ground-loops can be (barely) audible sounds that should not be there.
Ground-loops don't HAVE to be there using RCA but possibly can be. Using balanced prevents that from occurring when making an audio system using computer audio/AVR setup.
There is NO benefit to sound quality nor background noise (all of which is of no concern with HD800S)

Balanced is about preventing possible ground-loops.

That the chance exists there MIGHT be a ground-loop in your home (is not equal to lab) conditions. There don't HAVE to be any though. Most RCA systems are perfectly quiet.

To be able to play impressively loud you need the amp/headphone combo to reach 120dB SPL. This is PEAK power NOT continuous as music consists of peaks.
When you are bothered with tinnitus 115dB or even 110dB peak is enough and get rid of the treble peak !
120dB SPL peak requires your amp to reach 6V (= 120mW in 300ohm)
115dB SPL peak requires your amp to reach 3V (= 30mW in 300ohm)
110dB SPL peak requires your amp to reach 1.5V (= 10mW in 300ohm)

When you want Harman type of bass you need to add 10dB more headroom in the amp in which case for 120dB peak SPL (at 20Hz) you will need a 1W in 300ohm amplifier but in your case I would say 200mW amp in 300ohm is more than you will ever need.

See above. There is NO need to buy an amp with 'more power' as you will never need it and the nonsense that you need 1 jiggaWatts even if you never use more than 100mW because such an amp 'sounds better' is nonsense. When DO you need an amp that can provide more ? When you plan to buy/use headphones that are notoriously inefficient and you want those to play impressively loud. That basically is the only reason (and to boast to others how much power your amp has) to buy one.

Don't think better 'numbers' equates to better sound or longevity. They DON'T.

Good sound can be had with ALL of the suggested devices and even with much poorer measuring devices as long as the S/N ratio is good. Distortion at max level better than 0.01% is not needed NOR audible in any way.

It's all nonsense. Soundstage in headphones is not amp/dac dependent but brain dependent (and or spatializers etc).

Yep, they don't want to hear (read) that but when you are inclined to believe all that, you should forget about ASR and the measurement game because measurements and (subjective) perceived sound quality, below certain numbers are NOT related in any way.
Thank you very much for continuing to develop your responses, and for responding to each of my points.

Your explanation of how much power is needed, especially to hit harmon targets, was very helpful. Based on my testing of the HD800s in stores, I intend to run it with a 5-to-10 dB boost in the bass and sub-bass frequencies. Even with my fairly limited exposure to EQ, I gather that this is a fairly big boost, and so I obviously want to avoid distortion, and make sure I have enough amplification power for that. Problem is, I don't actually know how to calculate how much power I need for this, specifically with the HD800s.

One thing I'm trying to figure out about EQ is the whole concept of headroom and preamp gain. If you don't mind, I'd like to confirm that my understanding of the two approaches to EQing are correct:

1) To my mind, if I were to leave all frequencies at 0, have a preamp gain of 0, and then boost the bass with a bass shelf of, say, 5dB, then what I've done is kept the volume constant across most of the sound, but boosted the bass. Beyond a certain amount of boost, though, I will start to introduce distortion. This distortion is separate and unrelated to noise, and instead represents... what, exactly? A failure of the speaker's driver to be able to move and respond properly to the given much-higher-than-usual voltage for that frequency?

2) Alternatively, I can apply a -5dB preamp gain, thereby creating the "Headroom" I keep seeing mentioned, and then re-apply that 5dB bass shelf. So, in effect, rather than actually BOOSTING the bass, I've just dropped all the OTHER frequencies, making bass SEEM boosted by comparison. However, because dropping gain in EQ doesn't introduce distortion the way that boosting gain does, this is considered the better way to EQ, right?

Ok, but now I've made the music quieter overall, because of that -5db preamp, so I gotta turn the volume back up, thereby boosting the gain of ALL frequencies.... or does it? Is volume a separate concept from gain? How does this need to increase the volume higher than it was in scenario 1 change the distortion/noise? Based on your earlier explanation of S/N ratios, the ratio actually gets BETTER, because noise is constant, but turning the volume up boosts the signal, right? Ok, so that seems like a SECOND point in favour of using scenario 2)'s approach to EQ. What happens to the distortion, though? When you have to turn everything up louder, to offset of a negative EQ preamp, are you not just undoing all of the distortion benefits you gained by using scenario 2's approach in the first place?

Also, thank you for again reiterating that it's all bullshit, what people say about different dacs and amps sounding wildly different. It's still helpful to read that, even though I know it to already be true. Like I said in response to Oleg87 above, I always find it difficult to choose between products when there's no clear winner. When it all comes down to subtle flavour differences, aesthetics, and whim, I tend to struggle to make a decision.

But speak for yourself, buddy. YOU might not need 1 jiggaWatt, but I intend to run my headphone directly off the core of a nuclear reactor, and it is my God-given right to do so.

The thing I noted about the OP’s query is the fact that he wants something he can just plug in and be happy with the next 10 years or so.
For that to come true he needs a great build quality, and I’m not sure any of the options here are going to last that long under daily usage.
The Schiit’s I’ve owned/tried have all developed a noisy volume pot fairly quickly after me getting them. The cheap ones also weigh next to nothing and scate around the table when I started twerking to Rachmaninov.
The Atom amp I had was made of some frail Toys R’ Us plastic…and wouldn’t you know it..developed a noisy volume pot.
Topping was the best of the lot but still felt somewhat cheap compared to my Lake People amp…but I am also old and from a time where weight used to indicate some form of quality in Hi-Fi.

When you then count in the fact that the only real difference between all of these is appearance and possibly connections, it all comes down to reliability.
Sure if you live close to the Topping, SMSL or Schiit factory and can drop off your gear if or when it develops poor form, fantastic…but I would personally much rather pay for a more robust design via either Violectric or Lake People. That’s my dough though and my bias against the build I’ve encountered from the makes included in this poll.
Soundwise? They’re all the same when you can’t see what’s playing, most especially when using a 300 ohm Sennheiser.
Best of luck going forth:)

Oh, interesting. You seem to be the first person who has expressed any concern regarding the build quality of these devices. They're all solid-state machines with essentially no moving parts, so I've never really heard of anyone having issues with any of these brands, beyond the odd fluke.

I have heard of a case grounding issue with certain Shiit's, (thank you, Amirm), creating noise in the case, and in the volume knob specifically, but it was easily remedied by sanding a small portion inside the case to allow for a bare-metal connection to the ground.

The new JDS Atom 2 line is all metal.

Topping is the only one I actually HAVE heard some Quality-Control issues with.

Still, thank you for your comment. I checked out Violectric but they're definitely beyond my price point, and Lake people, well, I personally can't stand the look of expensive consumer goods being made in $3 alibaba aluminum project boxes. I know it's a common trend, and makes for easy repairability, but it just ain't for me.

Top Bottom