• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to correct issues with hiss and DSP EQ

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok using 48khz generic worked! All data I have for near field I will post a link for. I PEQed each driver and have before and after. I ran full range sweeps of each speaker before and after. I found out that I did indeed need to invert the tweeters. I also changed the crossovers based on the plots. I chose 300 and 1.9k. I'm interested if any of you would have chosen otherwise. And lastly I ran both speakers full frequency from the main listneing position and it looks bad. But the near fields look much better! I haven't listened to it yet so I will hold off celebrating until then. Any other advice based on the new data would be welcome.

Harvey
Might need a bit of bass trapping toward the back of the room. I use a sofa and a loveseat; it helps quite a bit.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might need a bit of bass trapping toward the back of the room. I use a sofa and a loveseat; it helps quite a bit.

Just for reference, I have "sound deadening" spaces=rooms behind the SP system and behind my listening position (behind my ears and head!) as shared here on my project thread; they are nicely contributing to excellent room acoustics together with ceiling and floor treatments.:)
- Not only the precision (0.1 msec level) time alignment over all the SP drivers but also SP facing directions and sound-deadening space behind the SPs plus behind our listening position would be critically important for effective (perfect?) disappearance of speakers: #687

OP
H

HarvBow07

I’m not sure how easily I could implement traps like that. The corners behind the speakers would be easy enough. The decay in my room is higher than others that have posted. If I recall mine is around 600. I think next step would be ensuring drivers are time aligned and trying to figure out the spectrogram. I can post pictures if you all are willing to tell me how bad it is. Also unsure of best way to time align drivers. All of my delays are negative using acoustic reference. I’m guessing take the most negative and make that zero? For me the most negative are the woofers then the mids and the tweeters are close to zero but still negative. So no delay on woofers and then delay mid and tweeter?

Harvey

OP
H

HarvBow07

The line looks pretty straight to me. Do I need to time align drivers based on this picture?
Spectrogram.PNG

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also unsure of best way to time align drivers.

My posts on "0.1 msec precision time alignment" over all the SPs (sub-woofers, woofers, midrange-squawkers, tweeters, super-tweeters) would be your reference and interest, I assume;

- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-1_ Precision pulse wave matching method: #493
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-2_ Energy peak matching method: #494
- Precision measurement and adjustment of time alignment for speaker (SP) units: Part-3_ Precision single sine wave matching method in 0.1 msec accuracy: #504, #507

- Measurement of transient characteristics of Yamaha 30 cm woofer JA-3058 in sealed cabinet and Yamaha active sub-woofer YST-SW1000: #495, #497, #503, #507

In case if you would be seriously interested in using the test tone signals I prepared/applied for these time alignment measurements and tunings, I will be happy to share them with you; please simply contact me through PM communication system of this Forum writing your wish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom