• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Troubleshooting audio issues in PC

OP
S
Update 2.0

People at microcenter said that it was most likely a mobo physical issue.

Thank you again for your help..
Wanted to give the internet a resolution for future reference

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a new PC at Costco several months ago and am having similar issues-intermittent crackling, no matter the source whether it be local files or streamed from Audirvana or directly from the Qobuz app. It's intermittent but tends to occur when moving the mouse or doing other things like typing or opening and closing windows. I bought this new PC as my previous one was getting long in the tooth and I wanted 4K video but it's been disappointing from an audio standpoint.

OP
S
If a new mobo cures the problem, let us know.
New mobo installed, and it's fixed!
If you look at the photo below, the transistor is clearly chipped. I believe this has been the source of my problems.

Still getting 2000 in latmon, but I'm going to do a fresh wipe and see where that gets me. I can't hear any stuttering or lag so I'm fine at this point.

Thanks again to everyone!

Attachments

• 20230428_234808.jpg
    20230428_234808.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 70
OP
S
Update 3.0

All was well. Then it wasn't.
I updated drivers etc. No joy.

I turned off XMP profile on the ram.
All is well again.
Pisses me off.
I'm never going AMD again.
But damn does my audio sound legit

RandomEar

Odd and extremely annoying, I suppose. What RAM is installed and what's the XMP profile running at?

Last edited:
You definitely want a quality audio interface or sound card (I think it’s two words for the same thing?) in my opinion.

I’m not an audiophile but I did stay at a Holliday in express last night. Also I used to mess with ableton live on macs and pc’s with low end krk 8” studio monitors /midi devices etc…

A quality sound card is a must.

Attachments

• IMG_2068.jpeg
    IMG_2068.jpeg
    511.7 KB · Views: 34

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This sort of thing seems semi-common in AM4 systems when going for 3600 MHz RAM clocks or overdoing the RAM timings (using 4 modules instead of 2 is in no way helping either, as it increases memory controller loading). The "hiccups" are basically due to retransmissions. A deep dive into the relations of memory and IF clocks as well as SOC and other voltages may clear things up, but for now I suggest you try re-enabling XMP but going for 3200 or 3000 MHz manually.

OP
S
Odd and extremely annoying, I suppose. What RAM is installed and what's the XMP profile running at?
Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600 MHz UDIMM
64GB (2 x 32GB) Capacity
3600 MHz Clock Speed
PC4-28800
288-Pin UDIMM
1.35V
16-18-18-38 Timings
Unbuffered, Non-ECC
Low Profile
XMP 2.0 Support

I'm gonna see about doing it manually.
Who knows

OP
S
This sort of thing seems semi-common in AM4 systems when going for 3600 MHz RAM clocks or overdoing the RAM timings (using 4 modules instead of 2 is in no way helping either, as it increases memory controller loading). The "hiccups" are basically due to retransmissions. A deep dive into the relations of memory and IF clocks as well as SOC and other voltages may clear things up, but for now I suggest you try re-enabling XMP but going for 3200 or 3000 MHz manually.
How did you know I was at 3600?
Im going to follow your advice and go to 3200.
Thanks again!

NoCategories

I'm brand new around here but I've been reading for a while. Anyway, I'm dealing with an extremely similar issue. Audio stutters and pops on a USB interface, connected to a motherboard with DDR4 RAM... and I've tried dozens and dozens of the ordinary fixes for this sort of thing. Hardly anything makes a difference. But then, I upgraded my GPU and after that there's a noticable decrease in the stuttering.

This is odd since it seems unrelated but: What GPU do you have? You said it's a Asus x570 ROG CROSSHAIR VIII IMPACT, right? Are you able to test with a different GPU? Doing that helped in my case for some reason.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
and I've tried dozens and dozens of the ordinary fixes for this sort of thing. Hardly anything makes a difference. But then, I upgraded my GPU and after that there's a noticable decrease in the stuttering.
In this case I'd check whether the type of interrupt used by the GPU, which may not be in MSI mode for some reason.
(I don't think USB 2.0 controllers support MSI mode, it seems to be a USB 3.0+ thing.)

In some cases audio stuttering has even been traced to the HDMI audio drivers that GPUs tend to come with.

Shoresh

Hi. I’m a complete amateur in all matters PC or audio, but I think my experience is relevant here.
About a year ago my son experienced the same problem and it was driving him, than me, mad - we couldn’t figure out what it was.
And then we did find out: it was the surge protector. When the PC is plugged directly to the wall - no issue. When with the surge protector - terrible squelching. I don’t have specs of either PC nor surge protector with me, but maybe this will be helpful to someone.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
And then we did find out: it was the surge protector. When the PC is plugged directly to the wall - no issue. When with the surge protector - terrible squelching. I don’t have specs of either PC nor surge protector with me, but maybe this will be helpful to someone.

What is "squelching"?

Shoresh

Sorry I thought that’s the word I saw somewhere. Anyway, the problem we experienced was a high-pitch buzzing, not coming from the surge protector but on the pc audio itself (headphones or speakers).

Top Bottom