• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Troubleshooting audio issues in PC

I'm beyond frustrated, I've tryed many things and I hope is not my DAC or AMP.
I get crackling and trash quality audio even though my path is as follows:

Flac file from PC on PLEX OR spotify
Spdif from PC to D1 VMV DAC
balanced XLR from DAC to THX 789 amp
Balanced XLR from amp to Mr Speakers Aeons headphones.

Things I've tried:

Driver updates (pc said nah dawg you good)

Changing Spdif cable, as it was loose. The new one is fine.

Changing to a USB connection from the PC to the DAC.

Changing headphones. Switched to h400i hifimans and still had the same issue.

I STILL GET CRACKLING.
The point of the high end audio is to reduce issues.

The XLR connection between the DAC and amp is locking, so it literally can't be loose.

The optical cable completely stops any EMI.

THE USB Has error checking as part of the standard, so that's not it.

What am I missing? What's causing my issues? Thank you so much!

RandomEar

Hi. I don't quite get why you run USB from your PC to the DAC? Also, if there is such a cable, there still could be a ground loop and noise from the PC can be introduced into the ground line of the DAC. If you've got an S/PDIF cable and are using that as a source, there should be no other connection between the DAC and the PC.

It would also be good to know what your Windows audio settings are (data rate, bit depth) and if you're using the regular windows audio backend, or an ASIO driver.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1. Check your buffer size. Try increasing the buffer to maximum and see if that gets rid of issues. If it works, reduce the buffer until the problem recurs, then increase it again.
2. Try different USB ports on your PC. Don't ask me why, but on my PC some USB devices don't work properly if they are plugged into the wrong port.
3. Check that the output sample rate on your PC is the same as the sample rate for your DAC.
4. Suggest you use ASIO or WASAPI exclusive mode. This prevents other software or Windows services from accessing sound while you are playing music.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Qn: Are you using AMD CPU?

Changing Spdif cable, as it was loose. The new one is fine.

Changing to a USB connection from the PC to the DAC.

Well the good news is this means the issue occurs with two different soundcard hardware so it's either Plex / Spotify or your motherboard bus. (Where words like DPC latency start appearing)

I'd say the issue is still more likely your streaming program or the network. Do you have any issue playing the files straight from Windows Explorer?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If your DAC and headphone amplifier are using the same surge protector, try connecting them to separate surge protectors.
If you plug your headphone directly into the PC's headphone jack, do you get the same noise issue?

OP
S
Hi. I don't quite get why you run USB from your PC to the DAC? Also, if there is such a cable, there still could be a ground loop and noise from the PC can be introduced into the ground line of the DAC. If you've got an S/PDIF cable and are using that as a source, there should be no other connection between the DAC and the PC.

It would also be good to know what your Windows audio settings are (data rate, bit depth) and if you're using the regular windows audio backend, or an ASIO driver.

I added the USB to see if it was an issue with the Led on the transmission side of the SPDIF connection. I have since disconnected it.

I also tried bluetooth headphones, and had no crackling! Plantronics 8200 or some such, from my office.

Sample rates are all checked, and I'm using the normal windows backend.
I've disabled all enhancements.

OP
S
Qn: Are you using AMD CPU?

Well the good news is this means the issue occurs with two different soundcard hardware so it's either Plex / Spotify or your motherboard
bus. (Where words like DPC latency start appearing)

I'd say the issue is still more likely your streaming program or the network. Do you have any issue playing the files straight from Windows Explorer?
I am using AMD. your question concerns me greatly. 5800x3d
I also get these audio issues in games too. Tomb raider and MCC.
I just played a flac file straight through VLC - crackling and stuttering. It pauses every 0.5-1 second or so and crackles in between.

Thank you for your help!

OP
S
1. Check your buffer size. Try increasing the buffer to maximum and see if that gets rid of issues. If it works, reduce the buffer until the problem recurs, then increase it again.
2. Try different USB ports on your PC. Don't ask me why, but on my PC some USB devices don't work properly if they are plugged into the wrong port.
3. Check that the output sample rate on your PC is the same as the sample rate for your DAC.
4. Suggest you use ASIO or WASAPI exclusive mode. This prevents other software or Windows services from accessing sound while you are playing music

i feel like this may be simple, but I'm unsure how to change the buffer size. i googled it but I'm getting no help. i disabled the exclusive mode in advanced settings under sound but I don't think that's what you meant.
swapping USB ports didn't help, good suggestion though!
DAC has a variety of sample rates - ill review how to select one and uncheck the rest of the bitrate options.
tried this, no joy.

downloaded ASIO4ALL. installing now - will update
Thanks for taking the time to help btw!

OP
S
If your DAC and headphone amplifier are using the same surge protector, try connecting them to separate surge protectors.
If you plug your headphone directly into the PC's headphone jack, do you get the same noise issue?
No joy with different SPD, and with different circuits in the apt.
its possible my front panel audio jack is not plugged in or dead, but I've never used it. Now when I tried that, I got no sound at all!
ill pull the PC forward and install a 3.5 extension from the audio out and see what I get.

RandomEar

I added the USB to see if it was an issue with the Led on the transmission side of the SPDIF connection. I have since disconnected it.
OK. I assume you also switched inputs on the DAC during testing with USB.
I also tried bluetooth headphones, and had no crackling! Plantronics 8200 or some such, from my office.
So bluetooth from the PC directly to the headphone? OK, that eliminates crackling in the source files, not much else.

Sample rates are all checked, and I'm using the normal windows backend.
I've disabled all enhancements.
OK, but do you know which rates and bit depths are actually used? 96 kHz? 48 kHz? I ask, because S/PDIF is usually limited to 24 bit 96 kHz. Anything higher requires USB. But if you already tested it with just the USB connected, that couldn't be the (only) problem.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Things that have caused me crackling in the past (as opposed to hum/ hiss)
1. Optical cable cant handle the sample rate I have put through it (eg, when i first got my Wiim mini- set max rate to 192, using my existing cable I got crackles and drops on any 192 content)- solved by keeping sample rate and using free cable from Wiim.
2. Rubbish USB cable (only ever had one but it sure did crackle)
3. Loose connection on the digital links
4. If not using an exclusive mode- leaving Windows/ system sounds (and any other apps like browser etc on rather than muting everything but the music player software

Keith_W

Major Contributor
i feel like this may be simple, but I'm unsure how to change the buffer size. i googled it but I'm getting no help. i disabled the exclusive mode in advanced settings under sound but I don't think that's what you meant.

What player software are you using? Most of them have an option to change buffer size. I might be able to look up the setting for you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, and try and run the same setup (with usb) from your phone.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think your troubleshooting to date has narrowed this down to the DAC or amp (my money is on the DAC). It will be interesting to see if you can drive the amp without issues from the on-board audio. I would not bother playing around with any settings in Windows or player software until to have established that both the DAC and amp are functioning properly (or not).

One other source of crackling that I have experienced (but doesn't sound like your issue) was when I had some hair stuck in the foam over one of the drivers in my HD 660 S. It was amazing how a single hair touching the driver affected the sound, I really thought they were broken before I found and removed the hair.

OP
S
Things that have caused me crackling in the past (as opposed to hum/ hiss)
1. Optical cable cant handle the sample rate I have put through it (eg, when i first got my Wiim mini- set max rate to 192, using my existing cable I got crackles and drops on any 192 content)- solved by keeping sample rate and using free cable from Wiim.
2. Rubbish USB cable (only ever had one but it sure did crackle)
3. Loose connection on the digital links
4. If not using an exclusive mode- leaving Windows/ system sounds (and any other apps like browser etc on rather than muting everything but the music player software
1. That's interesting. I've had audio come through the system before no issue.
But the pc has been upgraded since I've used it.
2. Tried another usb cable. Same issue.
3. Checked pc cables. All good. Dac cables are good. Amp cables are good. No joy.
4. Turned off windows and other sound sources. No joy
Thank you for your suggestions though!

OP
S
OK. I assume you also switched inputs on the DAC during testing with USB.

So bluetooth from the PC directly to the headphone? OK, that eliminates crackling in the source files, not much else.

OK, but do you know which rates and bit depths are actually used? 96 kHz? 48 kHz? I ask, because S/PDIF is usually limited to 24 bit 96 kHz. Anything higher requires USB. But if you already tested it with just the USB connected, that couldn't be the (only) problem.
Yes I switched inputs.
I also verified that the Dac was set to 96 kHz.

Thank you for your input! If you have more suggestions, please let me know!

OP
S
What player software are you using? Most of them have an option to change buffer size. I might be able to look up the setting for you.
I was just using VLC. I could get something different, but I'm getting issues in games too, so I don't think it's related to the software so much.
Thanks for the input, please let me know if you have any follow up suggestions!

OP
S
I think your troubleshooting to date has narrowed this down to the DAC or amp (my money is on the DAC). It will be interesting to see if you can drive the amp without issues from the on-board audio. I would not bother playing around with any settings in Windows or player software until to have established that both the DAC and amp are functioning properly (or not).

One other source of crackling that I have experienced (but doesn't sound like your issue) was when I had some hair stuck in the foam over one of the drivers in my HD 660 S. It was amazing how a single hair touching the driver affected the sound, I really thought they were broken before I found and removed the hair.
That's a real bummer because I've really liked the DAC. I've used it for a few years without issue. I'll see if I can use the audio out from the mobo and hit the amp directly. Ill reply to you again with an update.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm going to guess it's multitasking and buffering...

You operating system is ALWAYS multitasking even if you are only running one application.

The audio is written to a buffer (like a long pipe or storage tank) whenever the operating system gets around to it. Then the audio flows-out to the DAC at a smooth-constant rate. If the buffer doesn't get refilled in time you get buffer underflow and a glitch or gap in the audio. So a bigger buffer, or a faster computer can help. Or, usually you can minimize the interruptions. (When you record there is a buffer that works the opposite way... Filled at a smooth-constant rate and read in a quick burst. In this case the danger is buffer overflow.)

And, you are more likely to have problems with high-resolution audio because there is more data-per-second.

The tricky thing is that some application/process/driver doesn't have to be using a lot of total CPU time... It just has to hog the system for a few milliseconds too long and you get a glitch.

I don't know if you can adjust the buffer size with regular Windows or drivers/applications. With ASIO you can, but your player application has to support ASIO. Your hardware should have ASIO drivers although ASIO4ALL can "fake" the hardware-side to work with regular Windows drivers.

There is a FREE online book about optimizing your (Windows) computer for audio called Glitch Free. It's mostly for recording-production but there is useful information for playback.

Top Bottom