• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Treble Control For Just 1 Channel?

MADstereoman

Hear me out (pun intended). I have no left ear. Born that way. I can hear out of it, but at about 80 dB down, obviously higher frequencies get lost the most. Surprisingly, I have a pretty good sense of hearing overall (compensatory?).. Anyway, for stereo listening, I have a standalone high quality balance control with an Alps pot I use to keep the right channel from completely collapsing the image on me. Now, if I could just have something similar to boost the highs - like around 10-12k or so with a wider Q factor, but just on the left channel. Any ideas? Or is this just going to have to be a custom made circuit?

Note: I can adjust in the AVR, but the changes are a pain to switch back and forth.

radix

Major Contributor
What is the whole system? It's not clear what connectivity or software solutions are options. It sounds like external devices are possible, I assume they are connected via RCA?

You could get a graphic EQ or PEQ standalone box and simply bypass one channel (i.e. just an RCA-RCA connector, not plug it in to the EQ box).

OP
MADstereoman

MADstereoman

What is the whole system? It's not clear what connectivity or software solutions are options. It sounds like external devices are possible, I assume they are connected via RCA?

You could get a graphic EQ or PEQ standalone box and simply bypass one channel (i.e. just an RCA-RCA connector, not plug it in to the EQ box).
This is just analog phono preamp out that I'm concerned with. Yes, RCA. From what I've searched and found, it seems a lot of expense to do just one thing, but if that's what I have to contend with, well...

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is just analog phono preamp out that I'm concerned with. Yes, RCA. From what I've searched and found, it seems a lot of expense to do just one thing, but if that's what I have to contend with, well...
If you can go through a laptop/PC, that should be fairly inexpensive..

radix

Major Contributor
You can find tone control kits on eBay for $20-$50. And some assembled ones for not much more. You can also get vintage hi-fi equalizers for under $100 too.

net-david

I'd second the recommendation for a vintage graphic equalizer, many of them had independent left/right controls, which would suit your needs perfectly.

Or, a miniDSP 2x4HD would let you create separate left/right equalization.

Top Bottom