• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Travel speaker

pads

Soon my wife and I will be off to Holland for a long overdue visit to her family and from there some walkabout to who knows where, we'll be gone for 3 months. We are both music junkies and I'll be bringing my iPad with me, I've been looking for a good small speaker to match. There are many and all have their pros and cons. I want something that takes up little room but can still sound decent so I'm here asking if anyone has any real world experience. Any favs? Any hates? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don’t know enough to make a recommendation, but look forward to learning along with you!

CapMan

Major Contributor
Sonos Roam for me - fits into my Sonos system when at home, Bluetooth and airplay for our travels, sounds great

staticV3

Master Contributor
Will the speaker be used stationary in your room, or while you're out on walks or bike rides or something?

How much do you want to spend, roughly?

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sonos Roam for me - fits into my Sonos system when at home, Bluetooth and airplay for our travels, sounds great
I can second the Sonos Roam recommendation - IMHO very good sound (and nice features) for the size!
It was even measured by @napilopez here: link to review.

Propheticus

I've got a Sony SRS-XB23 and think it does ok for what I paid. The amount of bass and volume it can produce is somewhat baffling for its size.
However, sound quality can be better. After my experience I would advise looking at speakers that use dedicated tweeters.
The SRS-XB23 only uses 2 full-range (well ~midwoofer) drivers combined with 2 passive radiators. This results in a lack of clarity and a somewhat muffled sound.
I was able to partially fix this using EQ in Sony's Music Center app by boosting the highs.

jjaskuna

Forum Donor
Soon my wife and I will be off to Holland for a long overdue visit to her family and from there some walkabout to who knows where, we'll be gone for 3 months. We are both music junkies and I'll be bringing my iPad with me, I've been looking for a good small speaker to match. There are many and all have their pros and cons. I want something that takes up little room but can still sound decent so I'm here asking if anyone has any real world experience. Any favs? Any hates? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Strongly recommend a Mini Rig 4.

They have been hard to find the past year or so. But, I love it for what it is--portable, loud, well built.

izeek

we've had jbl flip 5 for 3 yrs, or so, that sounds pretty good. not audiophile but certainly enjoyable. i got a case for it in the deal that is super convenient to carry by hand. fits in any carryon.
we use it a lot during the summer on outings.

BigFKahuna

I have a UE Boom and Megaboom that have done well for me over the years, I can even let them float in a pool!

Esprit

Forum Donor
They're not speakers but you can pair two pairs of AirPods with your iPad

staticV3

Master Contributor
@pads
The smallest you can get while retaining decent sound is something like the Minirig 4 or Stormbox Micro 2.

You can go up in size in incremental steps and gain bass extension and volume each time.

For example: Flip 6 -> UBOOM L -> Vifa Helsinki -> Motion Boom -> Go+ Play 3 -> etc etc.

It would help if you could give us a definitive answer as to how big of a speaker you're willing to travel with, then we can tell you the best speaker at that size and budget.

OP
pads

pads

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the input. I can't handle earbuds, they drive me nuts, I will be checking your recommendations and see what I can best justify. We travel light so smaller the better.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a jbl charge 5 and it's great for sitting by the pool easy to use and has a built in charging port so you can use it to charge other devices

OP
pads

pads

Damn, the Minrig 4 looks perfect but wholly unavailable in Canada. Might wait till we hit Holland as they seem to be available in Europe.

Top Bottom