• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Transmission line subs

OP
G

guy48065

Back in the day when I was more into tinkering, Google (and Yahoo & Alta Vista... I'm showing my age) was a good source for technical papers. Now it's all geared to sell stuff and I can't find anything to refresh my knowledge of T-line theory.
My recollection tho was that USEFUL sound emerged from the end of the line. I've read that it's important that the line be damped, but never read that the goal is to absorb & kill that backwave.

Not to appear to be a Shahinian fanboy but wasn't the Contrabombarde a true TL that was flat to 16hz?
I saw & heard one once at CES and it was large-- but no bigger than a 70s console stereo.

OP
G

guy48065

Those were VERY interesting speakers, which would likely do badly on current measurement suites but were terrific for symphonic music. What happened to them?
Stolen.
While out doing laundry my roomies answered the door & got a gun shoved in their face. They were tied up on the floor as thieves carted my entire system out of the house.
Fortunately I was insured & took that check to the local home that was where Unity Audio forged their excellent speakers in the early 80s. Speakers, preamp & turntable/arm/ctg was all I got--but it was much better stuff than what I lost.

I do wish I still had those Obelisks. Sweet sounds.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Stolen.
While out doing laundry my roomies answered the door & got a gun shoved in their face. They were tied up on the floor as thieves carted my entire system out of the house.
Fortunately I was insured & took that check to the local home that was where Unity Audio forged their excellent speakers in the early 80s. Speakers, preamp & turntable/arm/ctg was all I got--but it was much better stuff than what I lost.

I do wish I still had those Obelisks. Sweet sounds.
Oh, holy crap!

Well, that's one advantage to my concrete-filled dynamic speakers: damn hard to cart away!

Top Bottom