• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 9.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 278 86.1%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hey guys, forgive the nooby-esque question but, if the balanced XLR output gives 1.9 watts on low gain mode @ 32ohms, and the unbalanced 1/4” output gives 2 watts on high gain mode @ 32ohms, is either one of those going to "sound better" than the other?

Or to ask it another way... Does balanced sound better than unbalanced if all things are (basically) equal?

I've often heard that balanced sounds better. But is it just a simple matter of balanced typically having more wattage/power than unbalanced? And that's why it sounds better? Or is there something going on with balanced outside of wattage that gives it an advantage?
I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth buying a balanced XLR cable instead of using unbalanced 1/4".
Thanks!
If the single-ended headphone output gets loud enough for you, then buying a new cable and switching to balanced headphone out won't achieve anything.

More volume is the only advantage.

3dcnc

Hey guys, forgive the nooby-esque question but, if the balanced XLR output gives 1.9 watts on low gain mode @ 32ohms, and the unbalanced 1/4” output gives 2 watts on high gain mode @ 32ohms, is either one of those going to "sound better" than the other?

Or to ask it another way... Does balanced sound better than unbalanced if all things are (basically) equal?

I've often heard that balanced sounds better. But is it just a simple matter of balanced typically having more wattage/power than unbalanced? And that's why it sounds better? Or is there something going on with balanced outside of wattage that gives it an advantage?
I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth buying a balanced XLR cable instead of using unbalanced 1/4".
Thanks!
Well today the L70 preamp, headphone amp arrived.
Plugged into the Pa7 topping amp. Straignt away the amp became louder and more dynamic

3dcnc

firmware 1.14 update improves the sound for me. the sound to me before sounded compressed/restrained. it did not sound right

Roland68

Major Contributor
firmware 1.14 update improves the sound for me. the sound to me before sounded compressed/restrained. it did not sound right
How is that supposed to be possible?
The software only controls the relays for switching and volume.

3dcnc

How is that supposed to be possible?
The software only controls the relays for switching and volume.
I don't know. maybe it was just the burn in. I only looked for firmware because the headphone/preamp did not sound right as a headphone amp and preamp with the Topping PA7 plus. If I had bought it on Amazon, I would have sent it back. It has a pretty sophisticated resistor volume control - i am not an electrical engineer. The Denafrips had a major firmware upgrade that was supposed to also improve sound quality. I could not detect a difference with the Denafrips. This was my first Topping headphone amp. I amso own the Xduoo TA-20plus which sounds pretty good. So good in fact I am ordering the .xa10 xduoo on sale at the moment.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I don't know. maybe it was just the burn in. I only looked for firmware because the headphone/preamp did not sound right as a headphone amp and preamp with the Topping PA7 plus. If I had bought it on Amazon, I would have sent it back. It has a pretty sophisticated resistor volume control - i am not an electrical engineer. The Denafrips had a major firmware upgrade that was supposed to also improve sound quality. I could not detect a difference with the Denafrips. This was my first Topping headphone amp. I amso own the Xduoo TA-20plus which sounds pretty good. So good in fact I am ordering the .xa10 xduoo on sale at the moment.
It's not a DAC and the current name for it, r2r, is absolute nonsense.
This technology is over 40 years old and simply switches resistors into the signal path, simple but good.
Basically the same as potentiometers with resistors, just as good, but not remote controllable.

3dcnc

It's not a DAC and the current name for it, r2r, is absolute nonsense.
This technology is over 40 years old and simply switches resistors into the signal path, simple but good.
Basically the same as potentiometers with resistors, just as good, but not remote controllable.
I know its not a DAC, just confirming I don't always hear a difference after firmware update. maybe it was just burn in. I have a Tisbury Audio passive preamp which also uses old tech, but also sounds good for what it is. It helped me realise the importance of a good quality volume control. Another reason I bought the L70

Rover

Topping L70 in preamp mode plays perfectly with the amplifier Fosi Audio ZA3 in power mode!:)
Connection via a balanced input.
Inexpensive price and excellent sound quality.:p

Top Bottom