• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 316 86.1%

• Total voters

StratsoundFan

@Vini darko I have the volume set at -8 db on the audio interface itself, which should be sufficient. Here is my signal chain. Guitar>Audient id4 mk ii, DI input gain @ 2 o' clock, Volume @ -8 db> PC> back to audio interface>headphone out>headphones.
I can't have both -18 db, and full volume at the same time on the interface, unless I've misunderstood you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
How do i make the stack portable or can someone recommend a power supply where i can place this in my fanny pack for walks to compete with the kilobuck cayin c9?
Just buy a Topping NX7 or G5 instead.

StratsoundFan

UPDATE: this time i tried connecting Topping L30 II through line outs of Audient id4 mkii, and while the sound is clean and transaparent, I needed to crank up the volume even more to get it to comfortable listening levels. There has to be something wrong with my unit. This thing, based on specs, should be loud as hell. I also tried listening to some music on my laptop, and while the amp can drive the headphones with no problem, there is very little headroom left on the volume knob. Regardless of how I use the amp, I always have to have the volume knob at least at 2 o'clock when I'm using Beyerdynamic dt990 pro. Is this something to be expected with these headphones!?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I needed to crank up the volume even more to get it to comfortable listening levels. There has to be something wrong with my unit.
If you want to diagnose the issue, please measure the output voltage of your Audient, you laptop, and the L30II.
To do that, you only need a basic $10 multimeter and an empty headphone plug to get to the contacts.
And a 0dBFS, 60Hz test tone which you can generate in REW.
Once you have the voltages, you can easily calculate the gain of your Amp and ckeck if it's working properly.

Last edited:

half_dog

UPDATE: this time i tried connecting Topping L30 II through line outs of Audient id4 mkii, and while the sound is clean and transaparent, I needed to crank up the volume even more to get it to comfortable listening levels. There has to be something wrong with my unit. This thing, based on specs, should be loud as hell. I also tried listening to some music on my laptop, and while the amp can drive the headphones with no problem, there is very little headroom left on the volume knob. Regardless of how I use the amp, I always have to have the volume knob at least at 2 o'clock when I'm using Beyerdynamic dt990 pro. Is this something to be expected with these headphones!?
According to Audient ID4 MKII it's able to output up to 3Vrms (12dBu). But a motherboard is not unusual to be output limited, some can't even reach 1Vrms. Maybe your L30II came defective either could be a software configuration which is limiting the ID4 output (I have an US 366 which its default configuration reduces -6dBFS for some headroom).

Zaki Ghul

I have been having an ordeal getting to enjoy mine. I ordered shortly after seeing this review from topping. Somehow the order defaulted to EU spec. They sent me a replacement power supply, unfortunately, that one while coming with the correct plug is rated for 220v. I have since ordered one from Jameco but the standard barrel did not fit. Any advice where I can get the correct power supply? I got the impression from topping that other than returning the amp and reordering it, I'm on my own.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have been having an ordeal getting to enjoy mine. I ordered shortly after seeing this review from topping. Somehow the order defaulted to EU spec. They sent me a replacement power supply, unfortunately, that one while coming with the correct plug is rated for 220v. I have since ordered one from Jameco but the standard barrel did not fit. Any advice where I can get the correct power supply? I got the impression from topping that other than returning the amp and reordering it, I'm on my own.
https://www.schiit.com/products/wall-warts you can get the 14-16VAC. JDS labs Atom one is also 15VAC. All these amps have a similar power filtration design as you can see.

Hotwetrat

HELLO everyone.

My Topping L30II gets really quite hot.

Driving the AKG K371 on Medium gain at around 10 o'clock (11 max if very quiet source)

This aight ??? or BAD!

Hotwetrat

Normal operation :)

Thank you good Sir - how about stacking? Example: L30II on top ot E30.

Cheers.

Oddly I have searched high and low for a nigh little unit designed for headphones stuff.... Can't find dick.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have searched high and low for a nigh little unit designed for headphones stuff.... Can't find dick.
You mean a compact desktop DAC+Headphone amp combo?
Fiio E10K Type C, Fiio K3, Khadas Tone2
s2nu9x56m0j71.png DSC08842.JPG c096571b6b0677f3c3d0fe9756916f5ca0b85d27_2_1236x1000.jpeg
Or are you looking for just an Amp?

Hotwetrat

Sokel

Master Contributor
OK SO LIKE being specific as being somewhat on the spectrum words are not my friend, communication in general.

Does this picture help! ;D

I WANT THIS (in BLACK but heck I love it anyway)
index.php

DOES THIS EXIST because I CAN NOT find ANYTHING like it.

theron_day

Can the Topping L30 II preamp out be connected to a Tube power amp (100K input). Is the preamp section active or passive? Many thanks for your input

Top Bottom