• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

NgtFlyer

I read a few pages back of someone wanting to modify an L30 for more power to the output?! Granted, my headphones aren't the hardest things to drive (ATH-M50x) but with the output switch on the center (0db) setting, with normal level input, anything over about 60% volume goes well into dangerous/uncomfortable levels.
Either this person is trying to drive speakers or wants to turn their ear drums to dust.

As for the 'subjective' reviews, I see a pattern. There are those of us who believe in science of measurement, and obviously listening to music, and then there are those who are quick to judge and listen with heavy bias. I'd say most "audiophiles", with their esoteric gear and belief system, will dismiss a $140 device before even switching it on, for whatever reason.. usually based on price, or branding/marketing (Its wire insulation isn't made using the extract of yak tears) or there's no vacuum tube sticking out of it.

Me, personally, I've really been enjoying it. Been doing a little bit of a/b comparison of my own using the exact same source and material between the E30/L30 and my Schiit Modi 3/Magni 3+ stack. Both sets are a joy to use, but I find the L30 to handle the really wide dynamic range stuff with a little bit more authority. What becomes of my Schiit stack? Happy to say I will continue using them in another room.

As I said elsewhere, you really can't go wrong either way when listening. I love that we are in a time where, for less than $300, you can have sound/performance THIS good through your headphones. I eagerly look forward to what the future brings.

hutt132

Has anyone been able to remove the volume knob? I want to try to put a longer one on, because it's way too close to the headphone jack. My finger hits it when I change volume and it drives me nuts.

NgtFlyer

Has anyone been able to remove the volume knob? I want to try to put a longer one on, because it's way too close to the headphone jack. My finger hits it when I change volume and it drives me nuts.
I personally haven't felt the need. Haven't found the headphone jack to be a problem. Suggestion though, if you find it to be in the way, get yourself a right angle adapter. That will get the cord out of the way. See below for a pic.
RA-14M214F_500x500_View1.jpg

Last edited:

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The length of your knob is fine, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

hutt132

I personally haven't felt the need. Haven't found the headphone jack to be a problem. Suggestion though, if you find it to be in the way, get yourself a right angle adapter. That will get the cord out of the way. See below for a pic.
View attachment 80363
I got a right angle one today, it still extends past the knob and my finger hits it.
Current knob is 20mm diameter and 10mm length.

It rubs and squeezes my finger through the gap when I try to turn it.

0a19742d52.JPG

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Instead of removing your original knob, why don't you add a LARGER knob that fits over it.
I don't want to draw anything, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

And they say that size doesn't matter ...

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Instead of removing your original knob, why don't you add a LARGER knob that fits over it.
I was looking for something like this, but couldn't find any. I think you would have to 3d print it.

Hai

If it's that hot, then only thing could be that something is wrong with it. I took some measurements with a digital thermometer a little while back:

- Desk (wood): ~22c
- L30 Amp (center top case): ~27c
- E30 DAC (left side of case): ~28.6c
- Macbook (area to left/right of track pad): ~30c

My L30 is stacked on top of my E30 in this scenario. I've accidentally left it on overnight after forgetting to turn it off and even the next day it doesn't really feel much warmer.
It runs at 38c for me (the l30) and e30 at 31c. Damn yours runs way cooler haha. My knob is pretty hot to touch too, no wonder since its running at 38c. It is apparently fine as john said until 50 is ok.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got a right angle one today, it still extends past the knob and my finger hits it.

What about krazy gluing to the front face of the knob either a cap from a small bottle that you were going to discard or a cork from a wine bottle that you've emptied or even a gear shape or hexagonal or even square shape with rounded edges that you cut from a stiff flat piece of plastic or cardboard? Not as slick looking as Harmonie's suggestion, but a serviceable and inexpensive solution nevertheless. Of course, you could also buy one of the nice gleaming metal knobs and glue that to the front face of the current knob to extend it. Also, by this approach, you avoid removing the knob, the removal of which JohnYang97 said risks damage to the potentiometer mechanism.

I have a few small bottles of vitamins and of olive oil, and some ketchup bottles, that have plastic caps of sufficiently small diameter so as to not touch the headphone plug, and which are knurled or grooved on the outside. Their precise diameter does not matter - you can glue the outside of the top of the cap (if sufficiently flat) to the front face of the knob - then the cap will extend out far enough to be fully rotatable without taking your fingers off. You can paint the cap black or any zany pattern you favor, and mark an angular position indicator on it. Or else you could cut a wine cork along a meridional plane to get a flat surface (a longitudinal cut may stick better because of the larger surface area, but it would not extend out as far as one cut normal to the axis near an end of the cork). The thicker end of a standard wine cork is 20 to 22 mm in diameter. The aroma of the residual wine permeating the subsurface of the cork would enhance the enjoyment of music, and you could paint to taste. Perhaps an art+engineering project for your kids? You might need to sandpaper the front face of the knob a little to roughen it so that the epoxy resin or other adhesive would bond better. You could even glue and squeeze a wine cork into a small bottle cap of the right size, and then epoxy glue the cap to the roughened front of the knob, if you prefer the look and feel of the cork to the cap, but the cap bonds more permanently to the knob.

Last edited:

pluplog

Got mine in the mail a few days ago, really great amp! Using with the E30 and I have to say, Topping really does it well. :D

Jave

0a19742d52.JPG
The knob on this unit also doesn't seem to sit flush against the front panel

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The knob on this unit also doesn't seem to sit flush against the front panel

High variation in temperature is also concerning in terms of quality control
1, We want a clearance from the glass front instead of risking scratching it.
2, High variation in temperature is mostly from different room temperatures and from variation in mains voltage.

Why would you immediately go into "concerning in terms of quality control"? Have you got anything else to compare with?

svgn

my amazon (DE) (sold by shenzenaudio) order just got picked up by the carrier, so they weren’t lying about new stocks at the end of the month.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

0a19742d52.JPG

i’d just start trying to get comfortable with a North/south grip rather than an East/West grip. Probably only take me a few months tops. :D

Top Bottom