• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 260 71.0%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
My G5 is broken now :(

I think he might've got too many volts while in headphone amp mode (ie. not USB or Bluetooth)

Now everything's very quiet... distorted...

PC > Preamp was the source - I went to adjust the volume in Windows, and,... y'know that sound Windows makes when you adjust the volume? That little 0.173 second chime? That... That did it... All it took!
When it was made, it was over.
Everything was over!
G5, is dead.

:oops::facepalm::confused::eek::mad::(:facepalm:
:rolleyes:
:'''(

It happened REALLY quickly...
Careful!!
,What was your output device? I mean, an on-board sound card shouldn't put out enough voltage to kill the G5.

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
,What was your output device? I mean, an on-board sound card shouldn't put out enough voltage to kill the G5.

Topping L70 - I have an RCA to 1/8" female adapter cable I was using. I lost my headphone splitter and needed two running at once. One is 40 ohms, the other 250,

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reach out to Topping support, they might be willing to fix it, might end up being cheaper than buying new even if you have to send it to China for repairs.
I"ll see what the situation is

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Topping L70 - I have an RCA to 1/8" female adapter cable I was using. I lost my headphone splitter and needed two running at once. One is 40 ohms, the other 250,
So it was just the output from RCA on another Topping DAC

thatnorthernsound

Forum Donor
Just got the G5, no luck connecting to my iPhone 14 Pro. It's a bummer because it sounds great through other devices. Returning to Apos.

gvl

Major Contributor
Just got the G5, no luck connecting to my iPhone 14 Pro. It's a bummer because it sounds great through other devices. Returning to Apos.

I’m using it with the 12 w/out any issues at all. Are you using a camera adapter?

gvl

Major Contributor
Nope, USB-C to Lightning, I've tried a few cables with no luck.

You need to use a lightning to USB camera adapter. There may be special lightning to USB cables with the equivalent circuitry built in, I think FiiiO makes one. I’m using my G5 through a camera adapter/USB-A to C cable and it works great.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Nope, USB-C to Lightning, I've tried a few cables with no luck.
You need special "OTG" cables to connect a DAC to your Lightning iPhone. Or the Apple camera adapter.

Regular cables like those from Apple, Belkin, Anker etc. won't work.

That's not the G5's fault. Just Apple doing Apple things.

gvl

Major Contributor
That's not the G5's fault. It's Apple doing Apple things.

Android was this way too, at least with the micro-USB. Do USB-C Android devices need an OTG adapter to work with external DACs?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Android was this way too, at least with the micro-USB. Do USB-C Android devices need an OTG adapter?
If both the phone and USB accessory follow the USB-C specifications, then an OTG cable is no longer required. Any C->C cable will do the job.

Ste_S

You need special "OTG" cables to connect a DAC to your Lightning iPhone. Or the Apple camera adapter.

I've been through this recently and feel the pain. Looking forward to replacing my iPhone 12 with a 16 later this year, where with USB C, hopefully this is no longer an issue.

In the meantime, I've been running Apple Music through a cheap old android phone to a dac, as it's actually better than through an iPhone. Not only can I use any old USB C cable, but also the Android Apple Music app has manually adjustable eq sliders, missing from the iPhone app :facepalm:

thatnorthernsound

Forum Donor

Yeah, I'm not going to do that, way too clunky. It's a G5 issue, sounds like they didn't get it Apple certified.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Android was this way too, at least with the micro-USB. Do USB-C Android devices need an OTG adapter to work with external DACs?
That was 8 years ago +, nothing needs a OTG anything since before 2016.

Ste_S

Yeah, I'm not going to do that, way too clunky. It's a G5 issue, sounds like they didn't get it Apple certified.

Not a G5 issue. I have the same cable issue with Fiio Q11 and K11. It's Apple by design.

Edit: I can plug in the above dacs with any old USB C cable to my M2 Macbook Air without issue. I'm glad Apple is moving away from the lightning connecter.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
8nebke.jpg

gvl

Major Contributor

Any other USB DAC will be the same. Just get an iPhone 15 or later, $800+ is worth it to eliminate a small inline adapter (sarcasm).

thatnorthernsound

Forum Donor
Any other USB DAC will be the same. Just get an iPhone 15 or later, $800+ is worth it to eliminate a small inline adapter (sarcasm).
I have an old Onkyo DAC-HA200 that has no problem connecting to my iPhone 14 Pro, it just doesn't have quite enough juice for Dan Clark Aeon 2s.

It's on Topping for advertising this as iPhone compatible when it obviously isn't. I love my D90LE and will continue to consider Topping products in the future, but I shouldn't have to dangle a bunch of dongles when it's supposed to be portable.

Top Bottom