• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping estats amp EHA5 (details updated)

okok

any news from Topping and Stax? hope they can work that out.

Where did this rumor come from ?

I would love a reasonably priced Topping alternative, especially when compared to Stax or other specialized and very expensive options.

The choices are limited, I'm very happy with a once reasonably priced but old SRD-7 Mk2 transformer box, it's driven by a Crown Studio Reference II power amp, for my SR-L700's which aren't very expensive, especially when compared to similar priced planar or dynamic headphones, to me this setup sounds better than the top Stax amps, but I've no idea how accurate the setup measures.

I would be happy with a modern Estat Transformer box that is well designed, i.e. a modern take on the SRD-7 Mk2, one that measures accurately.

My 30kg Crown is too big and inconvenient for desktop use,
I'm planning to eventually buy the SABAJ A30a because of it's unique digital feedback design and would expect it to not be affected too much by load or impedance / fequency variables caused by the SRD-7 Mk2 and L700 combination.

Looking forward to what eventates.

OP
O

okok

very likely it will be like the cheaper iFi iESL

I wouldn't call the iFi iESL cheap, if Topping plans a Transformer Adapter, then great !
but it needs to be a straight transformer adapter without all the bells and whistles of the ifi, no adjustable bias, no adjustable impedance etc, just a straight Stax esl adapter with fixed 580v pro bias supply, and a pair of well designed flat measuring, low noise, low distortion transformers, probably 10 or 15 to 1 ratio, my Stax SRD 7Mk2 has 25 to 1 ratio transformers, these days not necessary as powerful amplifiers are more common, and the lower ratio should measure better with less distortions.
It needs to be well designed when it comes to safety for protection of the headphones connected to it, no one wants their stax headphones fried because of poor implementation.
I think 2 pro bias stax outputs would be good, so you can run 2 stax headphones.

There definitely is a gap in the market for a reasonably priced electrostatic amplifier or transformer adapter, the most expensive part of an adapter would be the two passive transformers, which shouldn't cost excessive and the bias supply which is the only active circuit, it's a simple voltage multiplier that can work on any countries voltage output, again also not expensive to manufacture.

Let's see what happens in 2023.

OP
O

okok

via tw user, everything quoted
details

model name: Topping EHA5
design: transformer
gain: selectable, 40db or 30db (or 28db), lowest gain out there, good for high output level DACs
bias: 580v can't adjust
volume control: like other common topping amps, no relay volume
price: $499 or less, or $449

lights inside: for eyes only, tubes for eyes
sound: every amp sounds the same

9.jpg

threni

Major Contributor
OP
O

okok

further update
output level: more than 600v rms under high gain

price not determined

Reactions: Tim

August

Now available

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Elitzur–Vaidman

You keep posting links to that review/product, but it's literally sold out, and there are other electrostats.

192kbps

You keep posting links to that review/product, but it's literally sold out, and there are other electrostats.
According to the information I have learned, it will probably be released in June.
Just want to tell ASR friends that China not only has TOPPING, but Halo Acoustics is also worth paying attention to. Although I know it will be very difficult for audiophiles outside of China to purchase, I still want to share this information.

simmconn

Their way of specifying the test condition is a bit shady, IMHO. Measuring THD+N with A-weighting? Yeah, the power-line related noise would be conveniently attenuated, so are the higher order harmonics. That could also explain the interesting looking THD+N vs frequency curve, which is pretty much the shape of an inverted A-weighting curve. You can argue 'that 's all you can hear', but comparing numbers needs to be done apple-to-apple.

Also, the 'THD+N@20kBW (No-wt)' is questionable. What does that even mean? THD+N @ 1KHz with 20KHz measurement bandwidth, or THD+N @ 20KHz with an unspecified measurement bandwidth? Either way the result is significantly lower compared to a well-built DIY amp such as the KGSSHV Carbon or Blue Hawaii. The FFT and multi-tone plots are the telltale of the amp's linearity.

The 80uV noise is good but not something worth bragging about, given the low gain of the amp.

Frequency response: 20Hz-40kHz (±2.5dB) means the highest and lowest point across the measurement range can be as large as 5dB apart. Go figure.

The interesting dip between 10kHz and 20kHz on the frequency response curve indicates that they need to do a better job calibrating the high voltage attenuator in front of the AP.

rickler

Their way of specifying the test condition is a bit shady, IMHO. Measuring THD+N with A-weighting? Yeah, the power-line related noise would be conveniently attenuated, so are the higher order harmonics. That could also explain the interesting looking THD+N vs frequency curve, which is pretty much the shape of an inverted A-weighting curve. You can argue 'that 's all you can hear', but comparing numbers needs to be done apple-to-apple.

Also, the 'THD+N@20kBW (No-wt)' is questionable. What does that even mean? THD+N @ 1KHz with 20KHz measurement bandwidth, or THD+N @ 20KHz with an unspecified measurement bandwidth? Either way the result is significantly lower compared to a well-built DIY amp such as the KGSSHV Carbon or Blue Hawaii. The FFT and multi-tone plots are the telltale of the amp's linearity.

The 80uV noise is good but not something worth bragging about, given the low gain of the amp.

Frequency response: 20Hz-40kHz (±2.5dB) means the highest and lowest point across the measurement range can be as large as 5dB apart. Go figure.

The interesting dip between 10kHz and 20kHz on the frequency response curve indicates that they need to do a better job calibrating the high voltage attenuator in front of the AP.
Thank you for your analysis! Would this amplifier be clearly inferior to a Blue Hawaii / KGSSHV Carbon? I think it's odd that it uses a small wall-wart versus the other two needing some serious watts from the outlet. However, there could be a situation here where it's analogous to Class D amps; they are measurably superior in every way to big, heavy, and hot Class A or A/B amps barring preferences. I do not know enough about electrostatic amplifier design to understand. I can tell you that my Purifi-based monoblocks sound outstanding, and I'd put them beside any megabuck Class A or A/B monoblocks.

Top Bottom