• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

Steve96

Is this review of standard E70 (ESS) or E70 Velvet (AKM), is there a review of the Velvet?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Is this review of standard E70 (ESS) or E70 Velvet (AKM), is there a review of the Velvet?
Standard. No velvet review

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
As far as I can tell the E70 velvet doesn't use a current to voltage stage like the ESS chip version. It uses the AK4191 chip with the 4499EX
Why do you think it wouldn't have an I/V? AFAICT the 4499EX has much the same kind of outputs as the AK4499 (pre-fire) used to, and that very much needed external I/V:
ak4499iv.png

MadMaxx

Looks like my E70V might be defective. It powers off randomly. When I turn it on again, it stays in standby mode. I have to unplug/replug the dac to get it working properly. Tried several factory resets, but the problem returns every time. Anyone with an E70 or E70V have this problem? I've already got an RMA going with Apos Audio.

Last edited:

Adaboy4z

No problems on my end E70 and L70.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like my E70V might be defective. It powers off randomly. When I turn it on, it stays in standby mode. I have to unplug/replug the dac to get it working properly, again. Tried several factory resets, but the problem returns every time. Anyone with an E70 or E70V have this problem? I've already got an RMA going with Apos Audio.
Do you use it balanced or unbalanced, A ground loop can be the cause.

MadMaxx

Do you use it balanced or unbalanced, A ground loop can be the cause.
Balanced/XLR; I tried RCA and the problem still exists.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like my E70V might be defective. It powers off randomly. When I turn it on again, it stays in standby mode. I have to unplug/replug the dac to get it working properly. Tried several factory resets, but the problem returns every time. Anyone with an E70 or E70V have this problem? I've already got an RMA going with Apos Audio.
No idea the one I got was a brick. I've had an RMA going with Apos since the end of December.

Last edited:

MadMaxx

input from toshlink to cut the loop
My input is USB. Think that's the source of the problem? I'll try optical, but it's still going back to Apos.

MadMaxx

I'm also not sure, is to isolate the root cause.
No change with optical. Guess I got a dud. That makes 2 dacs (D400EX and E70V) I had to return in the past 60 days. :mad:

MadMaxx

Have you tried turning off auto standby and auto brightness?
It's already packed up for the return trip to Apos Audio. Time to focus on my next dac. Right now, the leading candidate is the SU-9 Pro. I'm not interested in spending more than $500 on a dac.

It's already packed up for the return trip to Apos Audio. Time to focus on my next dac. Right now, the leading candidate is the SU-9 Pro. I'm not interested in spending more than $500 on a dac.

Better S.M.S.L. M500 mk3

Top Bottom