• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 45 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 318 83.9%

• Total voters

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Do you have both devices? Just do side by side comparison. You’ll hear the difference. E70 is rolled off no matter the filter setting.

Your E70 is either defective, or you're just experiencing the sad limitations of echoic memory.

Last edited:

boredatwork

Man my rma experience with apos has been terrible. They sent me one email saying "we'll get back to you with more information" and then started ignoring all of my emails and messages on their website. At which point I had to contact Topping and bug them about warranty service since they are the manufacturer, they kept telling me to contact apos for "after-sales service" and finally ended up contacting Apos themselves. Only then did Apos email me back but even then same response, no progress. This is the 2 week mark as well. At this point I guess I have to file for a chargeback. Definitely do not want to buy from Apos again but are there any other dealers for topping products?

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
With this kind of "near perfection" gear we are getting closer to the end of our hobby. The fun will be over soon.
Nope. Perfection in my mind is SINAD at a full 128-bit audio resolution. Topping E1280. Coming 2128.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
That would be what... a dynamic range of 764dB?

Roughly the difference between the loudest (and very deadly) sound possible in our atmosphere and a person shouting at you 17 billion light years away :D

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have both devices? Just do side by side comparison. You’ll hear the difference. E70 is rolled off no matter the filter setting.
After closer to -120dB (and beyond of course), is just IMPOSIBLE to hear ANY difference. That's why they are called as TRANSPARENT, for a good reason.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nope. Perfection in my mind is SINAD at a full 128-bit audio resolution. Topping E1280. Coming 2128.
The theoretical limit is derived from thermal noise. I calculated with the room temperature (20 °C), the bandwidth of 20 kHz and the output impedance of 100 ohms, then the thermal noise is about 0.2 microvolts. Relative to 4 V signal, that is 146 dB.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Exactly. Just a smidgen more than 24 bits. Until room temperature superconductors becomes a reality, 32bit audio files and above are completely pointless.

(From a technical point of view. They already are useless from an audibility one.)

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
The theoretical limit is derived from thermal noise. I calculated with the room temperature (20 °C), the bandwidth of 20 kHz and the output impedance of 100 ohms, then the thermal noise is about 0.2 microvolts. Relative to 4 V signal, that is 146 dB.
Who said they would be limited by room temperature thermal limits in 2128? They will have nanoscale forced heat extraction for near absolute zero at the particle level.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Then we just need to record some music that takes full advantage of 764dB dynamic range.

Even if the "musical instruments" include both the Tsar Bomba and the thermal vibration of individual atoms, it probably still won't cut it :D

Did anyone try connecting poweramp to the XLR and subwoofer to the RCA at the same time on Topping E70?
Any hiccups?
Hey, read a few pages after that without finding, did you ever got an answer about that/tried it yourself and experienced the result ?

aka_Z

What kind of feedback are you looking for? Is it possible to connect like that? Yes. Can both outputs provide a signal at the same time? Yes. The rest really depends on the setup.

As an example, I have Adam connected to XLR. Buttkicker (yeah, I know :D) to RCA. When I'm listening to music, only XLR is active. When watching movies, both. Simple switching with the remote.

Just would have loved to hear back from someone who actually did it (or a very similar setup) :) There are a few testimonies here and there, but they are sparse. My case use is probably be the same (PC or radio receiver -> Topping Dac/Preamp [so it can auto/on off and trigger on/off the power amp]->Rca to active subwoofer ; XLR to Power amp ->speakers).
I think it could be done with the E70, E70 velvet, D70 pro (Octo and Ess versions), the DX7Pro+ and the Dx9 (at least, I might miss some - must write down somewhere which ones have simultaneous RCA&XLR out, auto-on off and 12v trigger out) ; but it's way too late here for me to have the concentration to compare specs, functions and measurements to see if what's worth between going 400 (E70) to 1300 (Dx9) bucks and everything in between

aka_Z

Both E70 and E70V can provide simultaneous output or each separately, auto-on off and 12v trigger out. Could be tricky to properly set crossover frequency and maybe phase on the subwoofer. But you can play and get a sound you like, regardless how audiophile is :)

Top Bottom