• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E50 Review (Balanced DAC)

wyup

If your active speakers accept XLR or TRS then you should connect to L50's TRS passthrough. And E50 to L50 via TRS.

If your speakers only accepts RCA. Then you also need to connect E50's rca to L50. So both RCA and TRS are connected between E50 and L50.
Is there any performance cost about using both balanced and unbalanced outputs at the same time?

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Then one has to ask, what's the future? Do you really think we'll be selling just DACs forever?:D
Looking forward to check out the Toppla® electric car next year! :D

Last edited:

kschac

I have an E50 in transit. I plan to use the TRS/Balanced output to feed my power amp, driving KEF LS50 Metas, and the RCA output to feed a KEF subwoofer. Based on John Yang's response that setup seems to be fine. One question, though -- are the output levels of the TRS and RCA outs the same?

Thanks

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have an E50 in transit. I plan to use the TRS/Balanced output to feed my power amp, driving KEF LS50 Metas, and the RCA output to feed a KEF subwoofer. Based on John Yang's response that setup seems to be fine. One question, though -- are the output levels of the TRS and RCA outs the same?

Thanks
4V for TRS output and 2V for RCA output.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Wait, what are these used for?

Put them on the top of electronics to stop them vibrating.

I’m not sure they’re any good at all.

If they are, I’m not sure they’re any good at all with headphone amps, where there are no speakers making things vibrate.

And even if they still are, after all that, we also need to ask if they’re any harm? These delicate boxes surely weren’t designed to have a heavy weight sat on top of them; might that in itself be doing some harm? @JohnYang1997

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe if you get a 1Kg solid copper door stop it can function as a heat sink.. :D

Improves SQ.. pure snake oil if you ask me.
But then again there are also people who open up their units to stick foam tape in certain places. The manufacturer of that tape states on the package that the tape instantly reaches it's max bonding strength so no cure/bonding time. The audiophiles however say that you hear some improvement right away but the biggest improvement comes after 50-60 hours of "burn-in" when the tape has fully cured/bonded :facepalm:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Maybe if you get a 1Kg solid copper door stop it can function as a heat sink.. :D

Improves SQ.. pure snake oil if you ask me.
But then again there are also people who open up their units to stick foam tape in certain places. The manufacturer of that tape states on the package that the tape instantly reaches it's max bonding strength so no cure/bonding time. The audiophiles however say that you hear some improvement right away but the biggest improvement comes after 50-60 hours of "burn-in" when the tape has fully cured/bonded :facepalm:

I suspect you’re right. However, with these door stops, they’re incredibly cheap, so I’ve heard some people try them out anyway, as it’s costing them next-to-nothing, so what’s to lose.

My question to @JohnYang1997 was to ask if perhaps there was indeed something to lose, rather than whether there was anything to gain.

Ulrich

Amir always uses preamp mode which is the default setting. So they perform as shown in the review.
If you are talking about after attenuation. E50's noise does not reduce with output level. D30pro does reduce noise with output level and drops to 1.1uV below 25dB or so. D30pro makes better preamp.
Please, can you explain why? Thank you

raif71

Major Contributor
Put them on the top of electronics to stop them vibrating.

I’m not sure they’re any good at all.

If they are, I’m not sure they’re any good at all with headphone amps, where there are no speakers making things vibrate.

And even if they still are, after all that, we also need to ask if they’re any harm? These delicate boxes surely weren’t designed to have a heavy weight sat on top of them; might that in itself be doing some harm? @JohnYang1997
I thought they are used for keeping gears in their place especially when pulling out headphone cables. I have a solid and quite heavy xlr switch on top of my amp to keep it in place :)

Top Bottom