• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 Polarity discussion

conuss

The polarity issue for coax and optical isn't fixed until version 2004 and later. USB is fixed with a firmware update.
This is understandable, but how should this problem manifest itself?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This is understandable, but how should this problem manifest itself?

It is only visible in measurements. It is inconsequential for music.
In other words it is a non issue for practical usage when listening to music.

EddieFreak

Wow, I can't believe this is still being discussed. I don't mean about the E30 but about polarity itself. We went nuts over this in the late 80s/early 90s. We discovered then that some music was even recorded with reverse polarity. I even had a preamp with a polarity switch on it. How often do you see that now? Never! In the end, we concluded it didn't matter.
A simple "solution", and I'm sure it's already been said, is if your using speakers and this is your only source, flip the connections on your speaker. Then all your inputs will have the "correct" polarity.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
We discovered then that some music was even recorded with reverse polarity.

I have a Charles Ives piano 3CD set that is inverted in one channel all the way through.

1592765913216.png

I don't know which channel is correct, though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DT1770 is also reverse polarity, no idea why the DT1990 is not.
Not many headphones are though.

Its a non issue.

AndyLu

Forum Donor
I recently added a 4 pin XLR connector to Grado RS1e headphones. Usually red is right ear but not on Grado. Left ear is red, and right ear is white. (confirmed on my RS2e and PS500 too)

I mistakenly soldered red to right and white to left. When I did sound check, oh yeah did I hear a difference, Channels were swapped but the sound field was also messed up. Once I corrected it, all back to normal (great).
That is just swapping the left and right channels on your Grado.
I fail to see what that has to do with reversed polarity.

Last edited:

Strato007

I have a question....

If this issue with the E30 is not perceptible, what would be the issue? if I use a pair of active speakers with the E30 setted up as pre-amp DAC and my source is optical (DVD or Smart TV),

1) are there any risk for hardware (speakers and its power supply) or the DAC itself?

I am asking this question because after of read a lot of post, there is no sound perceptible issues and the USB input can be fixed through firmware update.

thank you a lot

Haskil

Forum Donor
I have a question....

If this issue with the E30 is not perceptible, what would be the issue? if I use a pair of active speakers with the E30 setted up as pre-amp DAC and my source is optical (DVD or Smart TV),

1) are there any risk for hardware (speakers and its power supply) or the DAC itself?

I am asking this question because after of read a lot of post, there is no sound perceptible issues and the USB input can be fixed through firmware update.

thank you a lot

A lot of CD players, preamplifiers, amplifiers have an inverted polarity... (and a lot of records of music)... It's not a problem, for quality of sound...

Haskil

Forum Donor
I have a Charles Ives piano 3CD set that is inverted in one channel all the way through.

View attachment 70053

I don't know which channel is correct, though.
It's the same with Goyescas of Granados by Alicia de Larrocha in all the publications on LP and CD... except one : in "Les Indispensables de Diapason", a CD published by a french revue of classical music...

I have a Tact 2.2X préamplifier-DAC with possibility to change polarity channel by channel... and the sound change : but the sound is identic when the two channels are good or bad... no différence... and it's impossible to know who is the good polarity...

solderdude

Grand Contributor

No risk at all. It is a non-issue only visible in measurements. Some folks claim it is important but in reality it isn't. With very specific test signals it could be detectable. Nothing to worry about and absolutely inaudible while playing music.

All the left and right inputs of my E30 optical coaxial usb are reversed.

For such a big mistake, I think the manufacturer should consider future quality management.
Lesson learned: Never be an early adopter of new Topping products.

Haskil

Forum Donor

For such a big mistake, I think the manufacturer should consider future quality management.
Polarity or channel ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

You've posted this at least 3 times in separate threads. Swap your cables round or send it back.

MadMan

Sooo, it appears this is a contentious issue for whatever reason, but to keep it to some simple facts, just for the sake of knowing it - is the serial # 2004xxxx and firmware 1.08+ 'fix' the same thing, solely for USB (ie: 2004xxx simply ships with that firmware) ? Or is 1.08+ firmware to 'fix' all units only for USB, while 2004xxx+ 'fixes' both USB and other inputs ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2004 and higher have a different PCB inside.
It does not have inverted polarity anymore (on all inputs) like the previous version did.
It is a normal DAC without any issues.

In the previous version one could 'fix' USB polarity only with firmware update.
You cannot hear it anyway.... it was only visible in certain technical tests and non consequential for music.

MadMan

Thanks, I understand and didn't post to discuss the polarity issue and audibility itself per se (I put fix in quotes for this reason). I simply couldn't find a definitive answer with some searching to the difference of firmware versus serial number 'fixes', although I didn't read for hours lol. Good to have the info here in a short thread for others who search for it.

enomiss

Hi I have serial number 2010731950, which part of this number should be 2004+? Can anyone tell if this is the fixed version?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi I have serial number 2010731950, which part of this number should be 2004+? Can anyone tell if this is the fixed version?

2010731950 its higher so there is no (inaudible) polarity issue.

Top Bottom