• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping dx5 failed "CPLD update" loop brickwall potential fix.

Mickeygallo

Better late than never I guess but after ar least a moth of trouble free operation, and having to buy another DAC out of complete panic and disarray, I just had to share this... This could help
others. Anyway, I had the same problem. I am an electrician with training in electronics as well. I succeeded in fixing mine by unplugging and isolating (making sure the ribbon contacts don't touch anything the're not supposed to) the front display from the main board inside the unit (carefull it's a usual ribbon cable with not much play) and then plugging it into my compuyer with all the Topping upgrade steps and it worked. After the upgrade is done, turn off the unit, unplug it from the computer and from the 120v outlet and reattach the ribbon cable. Turn on and enjoy ! I believe it's a frequent routine problem and Topping still wanted me to send them the unit for diagnostic. Not good enough for me.

Last edited:

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What problem for which gear exactly is to be solved by this?
Curious.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You plugged the display into your computer or the DX5 with the display removed?

Ah, you've posted this twice...

OP
M

Mickeygallo

You do the upgrade following exactly what the manufacturer recommends, but with the display ribbon connector removed and isolated. After the upgrade is done, turn off the unit, unplug it from the computer and from the 120v outlet and reattach the ribbon cable. Turn on and enjoy ! Thats it!

Last edited:

Salt

Forum Donor
What gear exactly in discussion?

George Andrews

Hi. This is my 2nd post here, necessitated by a malfunctioning unit. Whilst listening to some music via Spotify bluetooth, my DX5 randomly entered the CPLD update loop as described above. So basically, my DX5 tried to update its firmware (without any prompting or user input), which obviously did not work and now my unit does not function. My unit had never been connected via USB to my computer, so no driver had ever been installed, nor any firmware update attempted. I've tried all the usual troubleshooting steps, power cycling, restarts to no avail. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the settings menu to reset the unit and cannot perform a firmware update as the unit is not recognised by my computer (yes, after installing the relevant driver), therefore I am unable to apply any firmware fix.

I am about to attempt your solution but need to know how to disassemble and open up the DX5 in order to attempt this fix? How many and which screws? Do I need to remove the front panel volume knob to gain access? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, George

Gradius

Hi. This is my 2nd post here, necessitated by a malfunctioning unit. Whilst listening to some music via Spotify bluetooth, my DX5 randomly entered the CPLD update loop as described above. So basically, my DX5 tried to update its firmware (without any prompting or user input), which obviously did not work and now my unit does not function. My unit had never been connected via USB to my computer, so no driver had ever been installed, nor any firmware update attempted. I've tried all the usual troubleshooting steps, power cycling, restarts to no avail. Unfortunately, I cannot get to the settings menu to reset the unit and cannot perform a firmware update as the unit is not recognised by my computer (yes, after installing the relevant driver), therefore I am unable to apply any firmware fix.

Interesting... sounds just like as a "kill switch" on default firmware.

George Andrews

Not sure why such a "kill switch" would be required, and why would it just start up randomly, with no prompting whatsoever. Either way, does anyone have any advice or a guide as to how to open up the unit safely, without damaging anything, specifically the procedure for removing the ribbon cable. Kind regards, George

audio_tony

My unit had never been connected via USB to my computer, so no driver had ever been installed, nor any firmware update attempted.
So if it's never been connected to a computer, and no firmware update ever attempted - how has it obtained new firmware?

Could it be via Bluetooth which seems unlikely...?

George Andrews

That's the mystery. I was literally grouting tiles during my bathroom renovation, whilst listening to an album on Spotify (Blake Mills - Heigh Ho). The music suddenly stopped, and when I went into the next room where my DX5, phone and speakers are located, the DX5 front panel was cycling through the CPLD update procedure loop, and eventually settled on update failed (even though it kept cycling through an update loop multiple times, stating 'update success' multiple times, before finally settling on 'update failed'). Since then the unit does not function. I subsequently attempted a firmware update by connecting the DX5 to my computer, but to no avail. This is because the unit is not recognised by the computer, even after installing the relevant driver. This means that I cannot attempt another firmware update, as the firmware updater software cannot find a unit to update. I am therefore wanting to attempt the fix described above, but do not know how to disconnect the internal ribbon cable. I've looked for a YouTube tutorial or relevant guide, with no luck. I am worried that I will damage the unit, by attempting to disassemble it without knowing the correct procedure or potential pitfalls.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's the mystery. I was literally grouting tiles during my bathroom renovation, whilst listening to an album on Spotify (Blake Mills - Heigh Ho). The music suddenly stopped, and when I went into the next room where my DX5, phone and speakers are located, the DX5 front panel was cycling through the CPLD update procedure loop, and eventually settled on update failed (even though it kept cycling through an update loop multiple times, stating 'update success' multiple times, before finally settling on 'update failed'). Since then the unit does not function. I subsequently attempted a firmware update by connecting the DX5 to my computer, but to no avail. This is because the unit is not recognised by the computer, even after installing the relevant driver. This means that I cannot attempt another firmware update, as the firmware updater software cannot find a unit to update. I am therefore wanting to attempt the fix described above, but do not know how to disconnect the internal ribbon cable. I've looked for a YouTube tutorial or relevant guide, with no luck. I am worried that I will damage the unit, by attempting to disassemble it without knowing the correct procedure or potential pitfalls.
Every messing around with FFC/PFC ribbons is risky,you have to not stress it,not angle it too much.take care to to align it perfectly when put it back in,etc.
I would suggest to leave it to someone that has done it before for the first time,specially if disassembling the unit includes any sudden moves as suggested elsewhere.

Top Bottom