• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Lite not turning on - clicking sound

bit_collector

Hi everyone,

I recently came into possession of a used Topping DX5 Lite. It will not turn on. I have tried multiple IEC cables, working outlets to no avail.

Further, when I power on the device (or try to), I hear a clicking noise not through the outputs but from the device itself. That says power supply failure to me, but I'm wondering if any of you has experienced and solved this issue with the DAC in your possession.

I have already contacted Topping, but they have not responded yet, and I'm hoping for an at-home fix while assuming that's not the case. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got the regular DX5 currently, and had one in protection mode last year, but it didn't make a sound (just error code). The only time I've heard a clicking was when the power brick failed, or one time a guy sent me a DAC with an amplifier power brick and I plugged them in assuming he sent the correct one, and it fried his DAC with that click click click sound. I would get a matching power supply brick from Amazon so you can send it back if it doesn't work. Topping will just tell you to take it back to the authorized dealer you bought from, which sounds impossible that you would have the invoice.

OP
B

bit_collector

I've got the regular DX5 currently, and had one in protection mode last year, but it didn't make a sound (just error code). The only time I've heard a clicking was when the power brick failed, or one time a guy sent me a DAC with an amplifier power brick and I plugged them in assuming he sent the correct one, and it fried his DAC with that click click click sound. I would get a matching power supply brick from Amazon so you can send it back if it doesn't work. Topping will just tell you to take it back to the authorized dealer you bought from, which sounds impossible that you would have the invoice.
Thanks for your reply! Sadly, this device has an internal power supply so I’m hosed if that has gone bad.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I know that click sound and in that case was too much voltage going into it from the wrong power brick the guy shipped it with. Also a pop and burn smell before I hit the surge protector shutoff switch. The good news is on ebay people will buy parts only items if the price is right. Just takes someone with skills who wants a challenge/project.

Top Bottom