• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX1 - Too Quiet (very low volume)

Sen

Hi,

I recently received Topping DX1. Today I connected it to my PC, installed the drivers (I'm using Windows 10).
Then I connected headphones: Sennheiser PX 100-II (32 Ohms / 114 dB/mW) but the sound is weak compared to when connected directly to my PC (motherboard).

For example, volume knob is ~50%:

1.jpg

and Gain switch is set to "L":

2.jpg

And, when Windows volume is set to 50:

3.jpg

- it's much quieter than when the headphones are connected directly to the motherboard (and Windows volume is 50).
When "Gain switch" is set to "H" it gets "louder", almost the same as it would be when the headphones are connected directly to the motherboard (Asus Prime B450M-A: Realtek ALC887).

Is this normal/expected? I ask because several reviews mention that "volume is loud" when volume knob is around 9 o'clock (50%) and switch gain is set to "L" (for example here).

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
When using the DAC set the Windows volume to c 99% and use the volume control on the DAC. This will give you the best signal to noise.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
Is this normal/expected?
Yes.
The max output with the gain on L is 2.2Vpp, which will be similar to the output from a typical motherboard. You’re then reducing the volume further with the volume knob on the DX1, a step which isn’t present if you go direct from the MB.

As others said, it’s best to set windows volume to just below max and control volume solely with the DX1.

OP
S

Sen

Thank you all so much!
This is my first DAC/AMP, I still have a lot to learn :)

Tremore

Ive also found that you need to use the software that comes with installing drivers when you want to set a certain volume, it resets to what youve got set there when you reboot your PC if you just set it in the usual place

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity - why not max / 100%? Any particular risk or detrimental effect from maxing out the Windows volume?
It's just an effort to avoid the Windows audio limiter kicking in and also reducing the chance of intersample overs. You can check this thread out for more info.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Except this generally wouldn't work - at least I'm pretty sure that the master volume comes after the limiter APO. So if in doubt you'd need to keep per-application volume in check.

It does help when maximum output is constrained by analog supply, e.g. with some onboard codecs that can run their analog stage on either +5 V or +3.3 V with no difference in gain. In such cases staying below about 80% is recommended.

Top Bottom