• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90se

Mdx

Hi

I noticed on my topping D90se making popping/ stopping at beginning of the song. I am using Tidal and node2i

Anyone having this problem?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 43441

Hi, I may have heard that before but I don’t think it’s a Topping issue. I believe I’ve heard it only when I’ve had my DAP connected to it via USB. I may have done a reset, or reboot of the DAP to get rid of it. It’s been awhile.

What are you using for a streamer?

OP
M

Mdx

Thank you for your reply.
I am using Node 2i. Connected via Cox.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 43441

Thank you for your reply.
I am using Node 2i. Connected via Cox.

Thanks

No problem, I’m not an expert but I know my way around a little bit. Does it do it when you have a different device connected to the Topping? Can you connect the node 2 a different way, possibly via USB or Toslink and check it out?

As an alternative, Topping has very good support.

OP
M

Mdx

No problem, I’m not an expert but I know my way around a little bit. Does it do it when you have a different device connected to the Topping? Can you connect the node 2 a different way, possibly via USB or Toslink and check it out?

As an alternative, Topping has very good support.
I am using topping Dac/pre.
Node 2i doesn’t have usb out.

Do you have contact information for Topping support?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 43441

Hang on a minute I have an ongoing conversation with them in my email.

D

Deleted member 43441

[email protected]

Propose the question to them, I would think they’ll answer you by Monday.

In the meantime, I think that I would switch cables, and also try connecting another device via coax if you have one, maybe that way you can see if the Topping is the culprit.

Just a thought, good luck.

OP
M

Mdx

Thanks .
Another question , my display only shows 44.1. It doesn’t show higher than that.

Attachments

• 25485115-C1E4-4B26-98A9-22AFAAB8FEB6.jpeg
    25485115-C1E4-4B26-98A9-22AFAAB8FEB6.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 61

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I think you can only fully unfold Mqa trough usb ?

G.R.Waters

Hi

I noticed on my topping D90se making popping/ stopping at beginning of the song. I am using Tidal and node2i

Anyone having this problem?

Thanks
Same here with similar chain: see my posts https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...view-balanced-dac.24235/page-103#post-1011168 and following, using Roon (no matter if local music, or Qobuz), with another member using instead Audirvana (if I remember correctly).
As he pointed out it t happens only if D90se is set in preamp mode.
It happens anyway also without the Node2i, the PC feeding D90se directly via USB, no matter the software (meaning Tidal, Qobuz, FLAC in HDD or the same via Roon as far as I could try).
I solved the issue the moment I moved the Roon Core to a Nuke Kit in place of my W10 desktop, so it may be OS dependant, but still within Topping preamp function only. So you may try different OS, if available.
Another cheap solution for me was a fanless miniPC (say Celeron N) I had at hand (usually EUR 120 - 150), install Daphile OS (free), and stream via USB to D90se without issues. If you have a spare old PC/laptop around it may do as well: requirements are very low (www.daphile.com).

G.R.Waters

Thanks .
Another question , my display only shows 44.1. It doesn’t show higher than that.
Mind that many Tidal albums are 44.1 encoded even if marked MQA. Tidal is not very transparent on the matter, nor BlueOs, and the MQA icon does not necessarily mean higher res encoding. I discovered it with Roon (see pics). Besides Qobuz is more transparent on the matter. Both the Node and D90se are MQA capable, so I think either of the two is decoding MQA: my guess is you listened on the many 44 MQA around ... give a try to classical music: usually there are more MQA 96 or the Eddie Vedder's latest, which is 48. (Just pointing out the first new albums that came up, without having listened them for sound quality).

Attachments

• mqa.JPG
    mqa.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 62
  • mqa Cattura.JPG
    mqa Cattura.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 51
OP
M

Mdx

Hi guys
Here is the answer from topping support.

“It is normal for the D90SE to have a slight and brief popping sound when switching sample rates. If you want this to sound a little lower, try turning up the volume on the D90SE and adjusting the volume on the other devices”

I am going to look for another dac. Any suggestions? I should have kept my D90 MQA.

G.R.Waters

Here is the answer from topping support.

“It is normal for the D90SE to have a slight and brief popping sound when switching sample rates. If you want this to sound a little lower, try turning up the volume on the D90SE and adjusting the volume on the other devices”
pity there is no "dislike" button for such kind of statements from producers.
I should have kept my D90 MQA.
Besides the popping / crackling noise between albums, have you perceived any difference in Sound?
IMHO shouldn't be any, given the tiny difference in measurements and, personally, I cannot tell an AK from ESS chip in the same/very similar Topping implementation. Well, I am 46, and I just started to need glasses for reading, so I assume also my ears are aging the same way.

OP
M

Mdx

pity there is no "dislike" button for such kind of statements from producers.

Besides the popping / crackling noise between albums, have you perceived any difference in Sound?
IMHO shouldn't be any, given the tiny difference in measurements and, personally, I cannot tell an AK from ESS chip in the same/very similar Topping implementation. Well, I am 46, and I just started to need glasses for reading, so I assume also my ears are aging the same way.
I think D90 is smoother.

G.R.Waters

Probably the popping noise will stop if you switch the D90se from Pre+dac to DAC-only mode and use the volume control of the Node ... considering the quality of the IR remote and the IR learning function of the Node, you may even turn in something responsive at angled position or distance the almost insensitive Topping remote. More expert members than me may tell you how much this may cost in SQ (maybe dynamic range): I am not so knowledgeable on the matter, sorry.
What surprises me is that this suggestion of mine is actually more technical than the one offered by Topping Support, because one thing is "turning up the volume" and another is turning off the pre-amp section, which to me caused the problem.:facepalm:

Top Bottom