• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 USB Problem (previously worked fine)

concorde1

I've had a Topping D90 for at least a year. It always worked fine on my PC (Win10 and also worked on Linux).

I just built a new PC, also on Win10. I plugged D90 in to a front USB3 port. This port works - my external hard drive shows up through it.

I turned D90 on and installed the Topping 5.62.0 driver. Reset the D90. But in Topping Control Panel it says "No Devices Connected" - I can't find the device in Win10 Device Manager.

No sound. Also the sample rate is showing as blank on the D90 screen, unlike when it's working.

I also tried an older Topping driver with no success.

I've tried two USB cables (one is quite long maybe 3-5m but always worked; other is the one that came with the D90).

I've tried three different, functioning, USB ports.

I factory reset the D90.

The only sign of the D90 was under Hidden Devices in Device Manager, there was an Unknown USB Device, that said "Device Descriptor Request Failed". I "uninstalled" the device in Device Manager and restarted, and that didn't help, but now the D90 is turning itself off, about 30 seconds after turning it on.

--

Any ideas on how to get this working? Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Try another PC to confirm whether the issue lies with your D90 or with your new PC.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I just tried a different PC to D90 through USB and didn't work either.

I tried Bluetooth from my phone and it works fine through D90.

My new motherboard actually has Bluetooth so I'm using that temporarily until I can fix the D90's USB. It's working through Bluetooth.

To state the obvious, when I was connecting it to USB it was indeed on USB source mode.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could narrow it down by getting the ISO for Linux Mint and burning it with Rufus to a USB stick. Then just boot to it and Linux will either find it or not. I have a D90 and Linux finds it no problem.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I just went to my Debian install and the D90 was not detected. Using lsusb nothing showed up either.

I won't use Bluetooth any more as it has audio delay.

Meantime I might bypass the D90 by using RCA from motherboard to A90.

I'm going to replace D90 with MiniDSP Flex anyway.

But I want to get D90 USB working before sell it.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

I can hardly believe this.

I got it working by turning off the BACK power switch and then on. I had previously been using the front switch only. Even a factory reset had not worked but this worked.

Hopefully this helps someone in future.

EDIT: It works on other computer, but not mine, after procedure above.

However I have monitored the USB on turning on my D90 DAC to get:

usb info.png

Last edited:
OP
concorde1

concorde1

OK - I finally fixed it.

I tried a huge amount of things but the answer was much simpler.

The solution:

1. Put it in a REAR USB2 (not 3) Port
2. Reset the Topping D90 on the REAR POWER SWITCH

So if anyone has "tried all their USB ports" - don't stop there - try hard resetting the power on the DAC AFTER it's in a suitable USB port

Top Bottom