• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 USB not detected

agentred

Hi All,

I have a topping D90 that was working great. Connected via USB (USB-B to USB-C) to my Windows 10 laptop, or my Windows 11 surface, or my desktop, all with no issues.

Suddenly, it stopped being detected on any machine. It's not showing up in device manager, I can't see it on any of the machines. The D90 is also turning off after a few minutes because it doesn't detect a signal. It used to say 48 Khz, now it just says ---Khz and then shuts off.

Have tried resetting, using a different port, nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any idea? The only thing I can think which might be different is that there has been a heatwave recently so maybe something internal burned out?!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it being connected with the same USB-B to USB-C adaptor with all three devices? If so it might be that at fault.

If not, and given that 3 host devices have stopped working with it simultaneously - it suggests the dac has failed. Can you try it with a different input (eg toslink)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
It sounds like you weren't using the Topping drivers, judging by the "It used to say 48 khz". Topping devices without drivers, usually default to 48khz/(I don't remember bit depth) and with drivers, sometimes 44.1khz/32bit. If you don't use the drivers, I would recommend starting with that first and crossing it off your list (if that didn't somehow solve your problem). I would also try changing cables and adapters, most of my USB problems are solved by using something different.

I don't think a hot day is gonna kill a DAC but what could kill a DAC is being placed on-top of a hot amp. If were using it normally (like on a desk) and something burned/died inside, Topping would have some explaining to do for a $800 USD product.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Where is the DAC placed?
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers? Does windows make any "connection sound" when you plug the DAC in / turn it on?

You could try contacting Topping about warranty/repairs if it really stopped working. I would try to plug it in via Toslink and see if it will connect then.
I killed the USB on my Topping DX7 about 1.5 years ago after having a really tight USB cable (didn't realize how tight) and pulled my tower out which ripped the plug out of the back of the tower and also seemed to break the USB in the DX7 at the same time... as it isn't recognized via USB since then on any machine.
I was using it until yesterday though with a SMSL xUSB outputting to the DX7 via Toslink Coax.

concorde1

I may have a solution for you. I went half crazy trying to solve the same problem. I hope you still have the D90 !

The solution:

1. Plug into a USB2 port
2. AFTER THIS is connected, Reset the Topping D90 on the REAR POWER SWITCH

So if anyone has "tried all their USB ports" - don't stop there - try hard resetting the power on the DAC AFTER it's in a suitable USB port

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I may have a solution for you. I went half crazy trying to solve the same problem. I hope you still have the D90 !

The solution:

1. Plug into a USB2 port
2. AFTER THIS is connected, Reset the Topping D90 on the REAR POWER SWITCH

So if anyone has "tried all their USB ports" - don't stop there - try hard resetting the power on the DAC AFTER it's in a suitable USB port

Funny, I have the same issue with a Samsung monitor and a Windows laptop. The monitor is connected via HDMI not USB, but the problem and fix are the same. Often the monitor would not be recorgnised at all by Windows upon plugging in. I have to power-cycle the monitor (which means pulling the power cord until all lights are out) while plugged into the laptop, then it’ll get recognised.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Funny, I have the same issue with a Samsung monitor and a Windows laptop. The monitor is connected via HDMI not USB, but the problem and fix are the same. Often the monitor would not be recorgnised at all by Windows upon plugging in. I have to power-cycle the monitor (which means pulling the power cord until all lights are out) while plugged into the laptop, then it’ll get recognised.

My Samsung TV does that to the connected Win10 HTPC. Depending on which one boots up first, I may have to 'restart' the TV. Sometimes also with the (TV powered) Chromecast.

I blamed Windows 10 and the HDMI, but it was the TV after all.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
My Samsung TV does that to the connected Win10 HTPC. Depending on which one boots up first, I may have to 'restart' the TV. Sometimes also with the (TV powered) Chromecast.

I blamed Windows 10 and the HDMI, but it was the TV after all.
TVs are notoriously bad with USB and some of them are not even that great with optical.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
TVs are notoriously bad with USB and some of them are not even that great with optical.

You're right, but this is the HDMI inputs. 90% of the time- flawless, then 10% of the time it just doesn't see a random, active input. Could be the Chromecast, the HTPC or even the a game console.

1st world problems I say.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
You're right, but this is the HDMI inputs. 90% of the time- flawless, then 10% of the time it just doesn't see a random, active input. Could be the Chromecast, the HTPC or even the a game console.

1st world problems I say.
Ah you have the DAC connected via ARC?

Top Bottom