• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING D90 III Sabre DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 7.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 97 25.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.3%

• Total voters

asrUser

Come on Topping, at least change the design. I know you manufacturers all want to be like daddy Apple but it's not that easy.
The design looks good. Though those ChiFi devices are released like weekly Pokemon. o_O

Bleib

Major Contributor
Finally improvements on the remote. Hopefully PEQ updates will happen.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's not the case. HDMI connector has dedicated pins for audio.
That is for audio return channel. Standard (push) audio samples are embedded in video.

Yoku-San

Just buy a $900 AVR. Apparently nobody can hear the difference.

Seriously, HDMI is mainly for AV and multichannel audio, and this is purist stereo. Most equipment with HDMI output also has toslink or spdif. Doesn't yours?

The other problem is that when HDMI carries audio in the conventional sense (not I2S) the audio is embedded in a video signal. One of the reasons that top-tier DACs perform so well is because they DON'T have any digital video processing. The HF noise and interference always impacts audio quality.
I have always used my 2.0 stereo setup for audio playback of the TV since I hate the sound from TV speakers. I know I could use the Toslink connection from the TV to the DAC, but this would require me and my family using an additional remote control just for controlling the volume of the TV. HDMI ARC with CEC function would be very practical in that context. Thus, right now I have the variable line-out of the TV directly connected to my integrated Marantz amp. I guess the sound quality of the TV line-out will not be as good as as with HDMI via a good DAC.

BALKAN_RAKIA

is this DAC clinical enough to cure my tinnitus?

AzReciOn

To be honest, the 90kBW (90 kHz BW) test was a little disappointing (for $ 900 I would like to see the results at least no worse than the D70 Pro Sabre). Otherwise, it really doesn't differ much from dozens of other DACs. It is very interesting to see the DX9 test!

Thanks for the review, Amirm!

oceansize

Forum Donor
yeah who would buy this over a RME is beyond me. You save a few hundred $, and you get a few more dB in SINAD, but you loose track record of reliability and support which would be critical in this price range.
To be fair, I'm not aware of any issues of reliability with Topping's DACs (or DACs in general, come to that), but I'd certainly hesitate to buy one of their amplifiers.

Veri

Master Contributor
To be honest, the 90kBW (90 kHz BW) test was a little disappointing
Well, that one highly depends on the chosen filter. Also, the upper end of a 90kHz BW test is obviously very much not in the audible realm.

The new ES9039 DACs are completely different from the old chips, they sound better than even very expensive multibits.
Uhhhhhhhh. sure..

Sokel

Master Contributor
To be fair, I'm not aware of any issues of reliability with Topping's DACs (or DACs in general, come to that), but I'd certainly hesitate to buy one of their amplifiers.
On the other hand they do give some strange advices about playing a DAC at maximum level while is set in pre-amp mode.
(i fully agree on that,a DAC straight before a power amp is dangerous that's why the "preamp" mode is strange by itself to me)
More from here.

peniku8

Forum Donor
SOTA perf )
Dont get me wrong but the SMSL D6s reaches 123.5db Sinad with 5v (max volume) with XLR outs @ $200 )))
They all measure more or less the same here because this is the limit of the analyzer. Not that it matters tho, unless you intend on using it as measurement equipment. Topping's own measurements come in just shy of 128dB SINAD and the SMSL at 125,5.
At least SMSL is able to lable outputs and inputs, which is apparently still too hard for Topping, so their rear panel looks like a mess.

daniboun

Major Contributor
They all measure more or less the same here because this is the limit of the analyzer. Not that it matters tho, unless you intend on using it as measurement equipment. Topping's own measurements come in just shy of 128dB SINAD and the SMSL at 125,5.
At least SMSL is able to lable outputs and inputs, which is apparently still too hard for Topping, so their rear panel looks like a mess.
Makes sense )
Still, for 2.5db difference, $650 ++, it's expensive per db)))

delta76

Major Contributor
it is not only reliability thought (even thought Topping has been popular for a short time so nothing to write home about), but also support (firmware/software) and customer service. RME established themselves and they stand behind their products. I believe that plenty of those interfaces have been in use for 10y or more and still going strong.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I prefer IR remotes with discreet codes for changing inputs. It seems all the Chinese DACs have the same IR remote....If I switch from say USB to Toslink from a distance, I have to step through the inputs and wait for a response. And I have a Logitech programmable remote which needs discreet codes to function.

A big miss for audiophile remotes.

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
RME established themselves and they stand behind their products. I believe that plenty of those interfaces have been in use for 10y or more and still going strong.

I'm a fan of RME. I loved my HDSP card when I was using it. But, I had two FF800s fail on me, after only a few years of use. My current ADI-2 Pro seems solid though.

I've ended up with a lot of Topping gear, mainly for the fully active system in my office:
- DM7
- DX1
- 3 x LA90
- 2 x LA90D (ordered, waiting to be delivered)
- 2 x PA7 Plus
- HS02
- TP60

No issues whatsoever with any Topping component so far (touch wood). The TP60 is still going strong after 15 years or so.

Mani.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Have they hit the law of diminishing returns?
LOL ) The race for profit but who wants to sell at a loss eh? )))

Reactions: EJ3
Top Bottom