• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 supposedly lacks ESD protection?

kenshone

I'm thinking about buying this headphone amp, but a review on Headphones.com says:

Virinder S.
1/18/2022

The sound is great, but the amphas no electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection. I think this is a common feature of most amps, but the A90 (and perhaps all Topping products) does not have it. I fried my XLR input due to a discharge that traveled through my headphone cable.

Is this true?

If so, is there a way that I would be able to easily provide ESD protection externally?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking about buying this headphone amp, but a review on Headphones.com says:

Is this true?

If so, is there a way that I would be able to easily provide ESD protection externally?
ESD protection requires a very high resistance between you, it and whatever is around it and you. To slowly drain the ESD and not let it hit hard. There are coatings available that help, mats, rugs, flooring, ceiling fans etc. Lotsa stuff.

D

Deleted member 46664

Is this true?

The first question is what the heck is he doing plugging headphones into a trs input?

Yes it can happen ... but it's almost always the result of user stupidity.

OP
K

kenshone

ESD protection requires a very high resistance between you, it and whatever is around it and you. To slowly drain the ESD and not let it hit hard. There are coatings available that help, mats, rugs, flooring, ceiling fans etc. Lotsa stuff.

With the caveat that I haven't studied electricity, so these may be newb questions:
  • If there was a large electrical differential between myself and an A90, and I put on headphones attached to the A90 via a cable, and the headphones+cable don't have adequately high resistance, could that damage the A90?
  • Is it possible that the headphones could develop a electrical differential if detached from the A90, and upon connecting it, that could also damage the A90?

OP
K

kenshone

The first question is what the heck is he doing plugging headphones into a trs input?

Yes it can happen ... but it's almost always the result of user stupidity.

Serious question: as someone who is relatively competent, but barely knows anything about electricity, how would I avoid this level of stupidity?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
- if there was a large electrical differential between myself and an A90, and I put on headphones attached to the A90 via a cable, and the headphones+cable have low resistance, could that damage the A90?
Some stuff will not take well to a static zap at the headphone jack or inputs. Headphones have a very low resistance compared to the high resistance needed for protection. Whether a A90 can or can't is not known here from what I know.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
- is it possible that the headphones could develop a electrical differential if detached from the A90, and upon connecting it, that could also damage the A90?
You mean develop a charge/voltage across the leads? Static electricity can do some unusual things and it migrates across surfaces, onto objects and such from what I studied. So it could build up on them yes, and carry a potential voltage.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Serious question: as someone who is relatively competent, but barely knows anything about electricity, how would I avoid this level of stupidity?
Use ESD precautions and be aware of it. If you study it a good condensed read will be maybe 5 pages with pics. It's not difficult. The numbers involved are easy to read and the concepts make sense.

D

Deleted member 46664

By not plugging your headphones into the input of your amplifier. That much should be obvious

Use ESD precautions and be aware of it. If you study it a good condensed read will be maybe 5 pages with pics. It's not difficult. The numbers involved are easy to read and the concepts make sense.

Alternatively just touch both the case of the amplifier and the metal sleeve of the plug when inserting it. .. if it was a static discharge, that is... more likely he got the bright idea to plug his headphone amp into the input of the power amp.

OP
K

kenshone

By not plugging your headphones into the input of your amplifier. That much should be obvious

Ah, I see. I thought the reviewer was implying that he damaged his A90 through the 4-pin XLR in the front.

Alternatively just touch both the case of the amplifier and the metal sleeve of the plug when inserting it. .. if it was a static discharge, that is... more likely he got the bright idea to plug his headphone amp into the input of the power amp.

Noted, thanks.

usern

Do you get zapped a lot where you use your amp? If not then there is not much to worry about. A90 case should be earthed so you can just touch that before plugging headphones in.
  • Is it possible that the headphones could develop a electrical differential if detached from the A90, and upon connecting it, that could also damage the A90?
I would say ESD building up on headphones just sitting by themselves is negligible chance happening. ESD can build up on yourself if for example there is carpet in the room and the air is very dry.

OP
K

kenshone

Do you get zapped a lot where you use your amp? If not then there is not much to worry about. A90 case should be earthed so you can just touch that before plugging headphones in.

I would say ESD building up on headphones just sitting by themselves is negligible chance happening. ESD can build up on yourself if for example there is carpet in the room and the air is very dry.

I live in SoCal so the dry air + carpet is a legitimate risk. Good to know.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This is a silly discussion.

If people are going to plug inputs to outputs and vice versa, speaker to line etc, they deserve to get some almighty cracks and pops, especially if they are stupid enough to do it while the units are powered up and the volumes turned up.

Otherwise, gear can handle just about anything if it's properly designed.

An amplifier is just that- feed it a signal, a discharge, a transient- whatever and it will faithfully amplify the bejesus out of it. :facepalm:

OP
K

kenshone

This is a silly discussion.

If people are going to plug inputs to outputs and vice versa, speaker to line etc, they deserve to get some almighty cracks and pops, especially if they are stupid enough to do it while the units are powered up and the volumes turned up.

Otherwise, gear can handle just about anything if it's properly designed.

An amplifier is just that- feed it a signal, a discharge, a transient- whatever and it will faithfully amplify the bejesus out of it. :facepalm:

With the repeated caveat that I am an ignoramus when it comes to electricity, I'm really just trying to suss out the reliability of the Topping A90 before I possibly purchase it. I have seen more than 1 online review, out of a relatively small sample size, claiming that the A90 stopped working for whatever reason. Here is another one:

The overall ratings are still good, but if there is a >1% probability of failure that is outside of my control, that makes the purchase a lot tougher to swallow.

If it is a matter of properly "grounding" myself before touching the A90, I can take that responsibility upon myself. If there is more to it, maybe not.

Last edited:

wwenze

Major Contributor
Inputs can't eat current/voltage, outputs can, so I wouldn't worry about the ESD toughness of the output based on the performance of an input.

That said, insufficient ESD protection of the input is a legit concern if you saw it happen. That being said, ESD protection is built-into most ICs, so there's nothing much to say if that fails.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm really just trying to suss out the reliability of the Topping A90 before I possibly purchase it.

With Topping, it is a case of "suck it and see". If you think it's cheap enough to have a go and potentially burn your investment in a few years or less, go for it. Topping clearly has some reliability issues across the board- I've never seen so many different products from the one small company being reported as faulty in the one place.

And I reckon many people with failed Topping products are laying low, as they don't want to hear "I told you so" from members on ASR about purchasing inexpensive, far-eastern audio gear and expecting miracles.

If an A90 blew up (killed the micro or whatever) due to a static/ESD discharge from some bloke rubbing his socks on a woolly rug, then it's clearly not fit for purpose.

Top Bottom