• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.4%

• Total voters

ethanc

Pretty sure @JohnYang1997 would tell you what that error code means as he is the designer of the A90/A90D. But if you don’t get any response from him, I would definitely contact the dealer and ask for a replacement.
Thanks, I’ll tag him and ask
Got the A90D on Monday. Yesterday, I was experiencing random LOUD pops from my right powered speaker connected via xlr out. They were intermittent and sporadic (maybe every minute or two). A few of the pops also produced a fault code of “-5” on the LED display. It is connected to RME ADI-2. Coincidentally, when I first opened the unit and plugged it in, it showed “-5” and would not function/operate until I put batteries into the remote and pressed a button, then it went to showing volume level. Any clues from anyone? Is this a faulty unit? Should I try the firmware update? I’ve gone back to my previous amp in the meantime, don’t want to risk blowing up my LCD-5’s..
@JohnYang1997 Are you able to provide any insight? Is this a hardware defect or some sort of firmware fluke? Thanks!

carlcamper

The firmware download page seems to have disappeared from the Download page, and the link itself has disappeared.

carlcamper

The firmware download page seems to have disappeared from the Download page, and the link itself has disappeared.
Got a reply from Topping:

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

Sorry, we have found a small problem with this firmware and have temporarily stopped it, we will update a new firmware shortly.

ethanc

Thanks, I’ll tag him and ask

@JohnYang1997 Are you able to provide any insight? Is this a hardware defect or some sort of firmware fluke? Thanks!
Update: I just plugged it back in and tried powering it on. It is giving the same "-5" fault code, but won't let me get past it now. Previously for some reason putting batteries in the remote and pressing a button on it made it start working, but now it is stuck on "-5" on the LED display. Seems like I got a DOA unit, going to reach out to Apos to get a replacement..
@JohnYang1997 If you could still give some insight on the '-5' fault code and what it means, that could maybe help debug the issue for other units

d2k5000

I have to do a side-by-side test but for now, I think the Discrete has more headroom than the A90.
Have you had any chance to do any more side-by-side tests? I would definitely be interested to find out the results.

mrjayviper

Which feature of this amp requires a firmware? Is it the volume control? Seems it's more than volume control looking at the change log?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which feature of this amp requires a firmware? Is it the volume control? Seems it's more than volume control looking at the change log?
Probably at least the device UI including the remote control, and even previous models like L50 had programmable protection circuits.

lovesegfault

Why is the BAL IN/BAL OUT SNR lower than SE IN/BAL OUT?

Maybe @JohnYang1997 can help explain?

dougq

I'm curious is there any benefit to running this balanced with the DCA Stealth and RME vs just using the RME out? Assume average listening level of 75db. Sometimes more.. sometimes less. Or is it if I listen at the same volume with both devices they will sound virtually identical even given the different amount of current provided by each device?

Trell

Major Contributor
I'm curious is there any benefit to running this balanced with the DCA Stealth and RME vs just using the RME out? Assume average listening level of 75db. Sometimes more.. sometimes less. Or is it if I listen at the same volume with both devices they will sound virtually identical even given the different amount of current provided by each device?

No benefit, I'd say, as the DCA Stealth would be very loud with the RME ADI-2 DAC.

Amirm wrote in his review of the DCA Stealth : "I was fine using my RME ADI-2 DAC so it doesn't have to be crazy power."

dougq

No benefit, I'd say, as the DCA Stealth would be very loud with the RME ADI-2 DAC.

Amirm wrote in his review of the DCA Stealth : "I was fine using my RME ADI-2 DAC so it doesn't have to be crazy power."

That is what I figured, but I know there was an audeze article that talked about small transients that could be louder even if we don't perceive it on our ear as that loud and is non damaging to our hearing. I'm absolutely not making a statement of fact. But I know technically speaking the RME might not be able to meet the requirements of those sounds if true and I do not know the effect.

Dogcoop

That is what I figured, but I know there was an audeze article that talked about small transients that could be louder even if we don't perceive it on our ear as that loud and is non damaging to our hearing. I'm absolutely not making a statement of fact. But I know technically speaking the RME might not be able to meet the requirements of those sounds if true and I do not know the effect.
This is from @amirm review of a90d:

I have been using my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone as a "it won't drive it but let's see what it does" test for headphone amps. This is the first time I have seen an amplifier have such an upper hand over these headphones. The sound is incredibly dynamic and beautiful. "Loud" listening is at volume level 80 in high gain. I cranked it up to 95 before I got scared for my hearing without any hint of distortion. I had not heard these headphones come to life so well.

And he has the RME as well.

Hope this helps.

dougq

This is from @amirm review of a90d:

I have been using my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone as a "it won't drive it but let's see what it does" test for headphone amps. This is the first time I have seen an amplifier have such an upper hand over these headphones. The sound is incredibly dynamic and beautiful. "Loud" listening is at volume level 80 in high gain. I cranked it up to 95 before I got scared for my hearing without any hint of distortion. I had not heard these headphones come to life so well.

And he has the RME as well.

Hope this helps.
Yeah I read the review, I was interested in an actual comparison if there had been a difference besides just being able to damage hearing without distortion :)

Dogcoop

Yeah I read the review, I was interested in an actual comparison if there had been a difference besides just being able to damage hearing without distortion :)
It is a direct comparison with the RME. @amirm has said that the RME is his every day dac/amp. When he says he has never seen an amp have such an upper hand that includes the RME. When he says he has not heard the Stealth come to life so well, that includes compared to the RME. What exact comparison are you looking for?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is a direct comparison with the RME. @amirm has said that the RME is his every day dac/amp. When he says he has never seen an amp have such an upper hand that includes the RME. When he says he has not heard the Stealth come to life so well, that includes compared to the RME. What exact comparison are you looking for?
Here is the actual statement about the sufficiency of RME ADI-2 DAC with Stealth: Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone).

bigLP

Forum Donor
I just took delivery of an A90D. It is my first topping product. I am using it as a preamp. Seems to function as intended so far. Its had music going through it for 24 hours. No problems. I have a schiit freya s it might replace. I like the volume display. The clicks are almost silent compared to freya. With my sons help I will do a blind comparison between 2 at some point.

carlcamper

20220714_155906.jpg

Still deciding which balanced DAC sounds best with the Topping A90 Discrete:

A. Topping D10 Balanced with dual Sabre ES9038Q2M DAC chips

B. SMSL D-6 with the new dual AKM AK4493SEQ DAC chips

raif71

Major Contributor
View attachment 218258
Still deciding which balanced DAC sounds best with the Topping A90 Discrete:

I have an Asgard 3 (discrete design) and have paired with D10s (ESS 9038q2m) and E30 (AKM 4493). I like both pairings but seeing as Asgard 3 is warm sounding...I'm finding that D10s is the better pairing due to ESS is the more analytical sounding of the two DACs but this is just my subjective opinion. :)

Veri

Master Contributor

I would also take aesthetics into question, the D10 B is one great DAC but not the nicest looking.. ;)

pedkkn

I recently received an A90D, and I'm quite impressed with its sound. However, I think there is some sort of bug. The amplifier automatically shut off when I unplugged the headphone connection from the 6.35 mm output. So, whenever I switched headphones, I had to turn it on again and again. But the amp continued to turn on after I removed the headphone connector from the 4-pin XLR output. I want Topping to update the software in order to fix this problem.

Top Bottom