• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.4%

• Total voters

carlcamper

I recently received an A90D, and I'm quite impressed with its sound. However, I think there is some sort of bug. The amplifier automatically shut off when I unplugged the headphone connection from the 6.35 mm output. So, whenever I switched headphones, I had to turn it on again and again. But the amp continued to turn on after I removed the headphone connector from the 4-pin XLR output. I want Topping to update the software in order to fix this problem.
Yes this is an issue I reported. As a workaround, I use a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter, and plugging/unplugging to it does not trigger the restart.

Ramayana79

Hi
I just received my A90D yesterday and set it up as a preamp with xlr in and out. It worked great for the first few hours but it suddenly died with no led light coming on from the front power indicator. No music was playing and I just kept it on when this happened. I tried removing all the cables and cooling it down before powering it back on but it’s not working. I could hear some internal clicking sound when I switched the back power button but it’s unresponsive to any buttons or remote with no lights on the front.
Any possible solutions that I could try?
Would like to get it working as it would be bummer to return it on the first day of getting it..

Haruko

this amp is amazing there is just one little thing I don't like... the led light is cool blue color and doesn't match D90 LCD display :( Yang if you are reading this please consider matching led temperatures with your other devices next time... i could not catch it right away with my DSLR camera (due to it's limited DR and auto balance) so image is post produced exactly how i see it IRL

Attachments

• topping stack.jpg
    topping stack.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 285

lovesegfault

this amp is amazing there is just one little thing I don't like... the led light is cool blue color and doesn't match D90 LCD display :( Yang if you are reading this please consider matching led temperatures with your other devices next time... i could not catch it right away with my DSLR camera (due to it's limited DR and auto balance) so image is post produced exactly how i see it IRL
I have the D90SE/A90D combo and the same thing has been bothering me, I really wish it was matched.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I don't like OLED displays. Everything has an OLED display these days. They look cheap to me.

Haruko

I don't like OLED displays. Everything has an OLED display these days. They look cheap to me.
that's your opinion i think it looks very good it's soft on my eyes in the dark and completely black...

Trell

Major Contributor
that's your opinion i think it looks very good it's soft on my eyes in the dark and completely black...
I think that OLED for these types of devices are not ready for prime time yet due to burn-in issues.

carlcamper

Looks like the firmware update will be back soon, and may also address the restarting issue when plugging and unplugging on the unbalanced port

Screenshot_20220718-165432_Gmail.jpg

Jonno41

Thanks for a very good review.How many steps on the volume control and any idea of what gain between steps.

carlcamper

Thanks for a very good review.How many steps on the volume control and any idea of what gain between steps.
This is based on the upcoming firmware which will be released soon. Curve 1 is the current default.
1658196776252.png

1658196815498.png

carlcamper

Any word on firmware update adding remote-less gain control to the unit?
They pulled it at the last minute due to some bugs. As per my email with them, they are currently testing a revised one which should also include the fix for restarts when plugging and inplugging to the unbalanced ports.

Vangelo

They pulled it at the last minute due to some bugs. As per my email with them, they are currently testing a revised one which should also include the fix for restarts when plugging and inplugging to the unbalanced ports.
Just out.....

carlcamper

Vangelo

Cant see how to select VOLUME curve tho..........

Ahh.....B button on remote!

Last edited:

WhyNotHad

Please note that the noise performance of the XLR output is always gonna be slightly worse than the 6.35mm output same for the A90.
The 6.35mm output performance is essentially the same as A90.

Hey bro are u there?

Do you have any idea how this firmware update works?

lovesegfault

I'm trying to follow their instructions, but failing. When I power the device on via the USB port all I get is "-2" on the display, and no drive on my system.

Are the meaning of the error codes documented anywhere @JohnYang1997 ?

Vangelo

I'm trying to follow their instructions, but failing. When I power the device on via the USB port all I get is "-2" on the display, and no drive on my system.

Are the meaning of the error codes documented anywhere @JohnYang1997 ?
A90 needs to be switched OFF. It will be powered via USB from PC.

lovesegfault

A90 needs to be switched OFF. It will be powered via USB from PC.
It _is_ off. There's nothing plugged into it other than the USB cable.

Top Bottom