• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Toping DX3Pro+ (vs) Ifi Zen DAC V2

Mashaka

Hello team!

I have a DT 1990 Pro and I was looking for a DAC/AMP for Gaming + Music

I have 2 options in mind. Zen DAC V2 or DX3Pro+

Do you have any recommendations knowing both have good reviews?

Thanks a lot for bringing the light here :)

Mashaka.

dreamscene

Currently there are not enough users of the new DX3Pro+. Everyone is a beta tester at the moment as it was released in Dec 2021. More data about the Topping DX3Pro+ will come in 3-6 months when more users have experience with it.

Sledgestone

I have the dt 1990 and had the Zen Dac V2 for a while. It sounded good and had decent power at 1-2 o’clock. Bass boost was nice! Build quality was fantastic and the volume knob was buttery smooth. The complete opposite of the dx3s knob.

Previously had the Topping dx3 pro and wasn’t really a fan. Looked and felt extremely cheap and had lots of reports of them breaking down. Sounded flat and tinny.

Last edited:

GeorgeWalk

Currently there are not enough users of the new DX3Pro+. Everyone is a beta tester at the moment as it was released in Dec 2021. More data about the Topping DX3Pro+ will come in 3-6 months when more users have experience with it.
Beta testers in what sense? The unit seems to be fine.

Jamesj562

The ifi v2 for me is lacking on output relative to my topping 10s atom+ stack. I like the shape and design but I’m not getting enough volume out of mine. I’m waiting on a balanced cable as supposedly the balanced output is significantly more powerful

Hello team!

I have a DT 1990 Pro and I was looking for a DAC/AMP for Gaming + Music

I have 2 options in mind. Zen DAC V2 or DX3Pro+

Do you have any recommendations knowing both have good reviews?

Thanks a lot for bringing the light here :)

Mashaka.

I have the DX3Pro+ and am enjoying it alot. I was looking for cheap and capable and it fits the bill. Don't listen to people saying it's in beta, what ever that means? I would say if you are anywhere in a country with at least a million people you won't have any problems getting it in a couple of weeks online if not a week. On the review thread here a guy from Africa and from his description "in the jungles" got his also. I received mine in Nov. and looking further it looks like most places like Amazon, Apos and Ebay have it in stock and no back-order all though Amazon does report for me a end of January. If you want my thoughts my post is #332 in the review thread and post #622 is someone with the 1990's and they like it.

Cisco150

I have the dt 1990 and had the Zen Dac V2 for a while. It sounded good and had decent power at 1-2 o’clock. Bass boost was nice! Build quality was fantastic and the volume knob was buttery smooth. The complete opposite of the dx3s knob.

Previously had the Topping dx3 pro and wasn’t really a fan. Looked and felt extremely cheap and had lots of reports of them breaking down. Sounded flat and tinny.
What Dac did you upgrade too or did you go for Amp/Dac Combo

sjeesjie

I have a DT 1990 Pro and a Topping DX3Pro (not plus). No complaints except it sometimes picks up phone RF when it’s lying nearby.

Sledgestone

Did you not like the Zen Dac V2 or feltt like it was not as good as what you got now.

I liked everything about it except the power output from the single ended jack. I had little to no headroom with my DT 1990. Still I would pick it over the Topping every time.

The Asgard and Modius combo gives me loads more power and I really like how the stack looks. But it’s much more expensive than the Zen.

If you don’t need more power out of SE or run balanced the Zen is a fantastic choice!

Cisco150

I liked everything about it except the power output from the single ended jack. I had little to no headroom with my DT 1990. Still I would pick it over the Topping every time.

The Asgard and Modius combo gives me loads more power and I really like how the stack looks. But it’s much more expensive than the Zen.

If you don’t need more power out of SE or run balanced the Zen is a fantastic choice!
Yea i have Hifiman Ananda and the SMSL SP200 amp and have the D1SE on order but was thinking of i would like more bass to my headphones and did not know if the D1SE as a Dac would do that or the Zen I hear about bass boost does that go thru fixed balance out to amp ? i have plenty of power with the amp im running it of my pc motherboard thru 3.5mm to rca on amp.

robertgmartin

I purchased my DX3 Pro + from Apos, it took about 3 weeks on the Slow boat from China (actually it was via air, but slow nonetheless). I paired it with a Topping PA3s power amplifier and couldn't be happier with both. The headphone amp has plenty of power to drive my HD600 with room to spare. The options of the various inputs is good too, including BT. I don't use that much as this is my desktop setup. The PA3s amp is great too. I have som Elac Unifi 2.0 bookshelf speakers and was not sure it wouldn't drive them properly. I can say that it does drive them quite well. Obviously I can't say much about reliability since I have only had them a couple of weeks, but so far so good..

Top Bottom