• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Today is exactly 40th anniversary of CD in EU/US. Is that a reason to celebrate? How many have you collected? And how do you store your treasures?

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Donated all 1600+ to my local library. As I did my 2000+ LPs to the library of my Alma Mater.

Our daughter is a librarian in our county system. All they will do with donations here is turn them over to the "Friends of the Library" who then sells what they can in the room with paperbacks and other material weeded from the collection. I am surprised at how many classic rock CDs that I presumed should remain available are gone for good.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whether LP, CD or whatever, my collection has tended to hover around 200 items or less, because I periodically get rid of stuff which I can't be bothered to listen to anymore. And of that 200, I figure that if a dozen are in active rotation at any given moment, that's a lot.

For those CDs packaged in generic jewel cases, I save the paperwork, rip the discs and give the bare jewel cases away - thrift store folks told me that the empties sell. The ripped CDs are sleeved, and stored in a single small but heavy cardboard box. I find a few albums and box sets to be beautiful objects in their own right, but most are kind of forgettable, save for the cover art.

My only dedicated CD player is a thrift-store Sony portable.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Our daughter is a librarian in our county system. All they will do with donations here is turn them over to the "Friends of the Library" who then sells what they can in the room with paperbacks and other material weeded from the collection. I am surprised at how many classic rock CDs that I presumed should remain available are gone for good.
Thankfully they can’t do that here in the UK. My CD donation was 12 years ago. I moved to a different city since but last year my old neighbour emailed me that the library still have them along with three listening stations they installed.

My Alma Mater still have my LPs on a shelf with a label carrying my name. I donated them in 1995!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LfLymD_o04fgO044aijfVHWhVELKqjMbg9uR4XH_knbr4WZpB0Vo8chU0Vf2MjIZ35H13lcsbU8YJzRds8Tj3mtDZs8z6Hlm6bcBHosD3PRgN7a24Fhg7ChW6RSPiD6zkW0dgqpX1RwV_Sx9d1YNefQV78Et020XQSjbuXWMjx_xcgHIeMwYHUnwXCqRnuYUuE4S5o2fwHJsV53-mZtOko353zNg0NEq3cV8HkbhEztwnJTlCAd5hvhWist3N1XlNJR9KoZjcGcjSR1TCzz3Nr9mYKv7HNx48gn-a4Zv-kQG4J3dqrEbx6GcKKkwaehVVHBQBnWLMiDMjjhnBpE5RJNXVAzzqkcBu6T56hwfRsdU_DBjkqsyVkxaQyZAtYuLhZLMjJXbeEEKaACalUb8KZyGqForQorTi7QBkz78mzkYev026iMClg4ywXxMkGyraN4CTUmHvjwbqhS1UYmVghwycGODbi1OugWJ5IGMmGvZKmPts2oKk30H2bLkEBPxNwFfeXbOHXLBITdYcOaclObcRUryI3Gb_ckE_0vDZ19_PnhE54Zt0QhzOpk-vXIJX_rTiCEokwXKS2sUzAXVbuwpA02kKyrH9L-lmwtofIRKRWO453vg677ZqMYwMgl46TY1OMyfe5GrS-fziVYw5RrARHsrtcPfmH6dEf8NHom3yAlJTloF-T0x7mYywNXqASV-4nt5KuEMVYU5oKI6OxqysikRw8vLS761aVTtNLqBXUKqO-ZUfMKkFJ0VPtz4y1z2rOAqaZMxb1f5bcaFvyT8y-SPzT2FgUp2mg6DflzT9iO0b2zaGjzde9wSM5X8cjsAyisDioQZ3OQwQBc3gMXXbUukH3lWcf7-14blkjWHhX8escZZplZ0Q-BKi6qrfnP_i8agqm6sC2bWGqBia2vrTccftB6eFDbOTJTBekVTOW_B-ZlWMOOz0TU-nMQQoamxXeTBhhHILJMSUho=w1420-h1893-no
Not seeing images, just gibberish. Like it requires a Google account or something of the sort?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The fun thing, as others have mentioned, is finding a rare CD at swap meet or thrift store that you know is rare and good and at decent price, and you buy it. There may be some links on Roon, its not on or worst removed from your streaming service, its on eBay but someone wants $300 dollars for it, but now you have it, the CD. It's not like discovering something on a map or looking at travelogue, you are going there to discover that place and indulge yourself, the place you wanted to go. The physical media ownership has value to some, although these days it may be nostalgic mostly, until the steaming services start charging by the song.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
Thank God I joined BMG music club and ended up with over 300 CDs. In an age when they are censoring books of authors that are dead, I am glad I'm not streaming(I have all the music I want to listen to and don't have time to "discover" new music). I've ripped all my CDs as well just in case and have 3 duplicate drives that contain the music. They are stored in different locations. I also have a bunch of hi-res and CD res files in addition to the flac files of my CDs but after I bought a ultrasonic cleaner, I've got great sound and satisfaction from the LPs that I have.
Ultrasonic cleaner, that’s a funny one!

nugget

Forum Donor
The physical media ownership has value to some, although these days it may be nostalgic mostly, until the steaming services start charging by the song.
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up media ownership. It is unrelated to the topic of discovering new music, which was the conversation you joined.

The fun thing, as others have mentioned, is finding a rare CD at swap meet or thrift store that you know is rare and good and at decent price, and you buy it

The very notion of a "rare CD" doesn't exist in the realm of 1s and 0s, which is in part why I feel that the Internet is a much more useful resource for music discovery in today's world.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up media ownership.
Its what the post is about, CDs, they are physical. They are not streaming or downloads, or rips, although you need them to rip. We both made our points.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of Classical music is available only on CD or SACD, (which is still popular in case of this genre). In any case streaming services, IMHO, are extremely inconsistent in what they offer and also most of their search capabilities are wanting when it comes to Classical, e.g. no search by Composer.

So personally I still regularly buy CDs/SACDs ... however I view these media merely as delivery mechanisms for the music. Everything I get is ripped to digital and store on a server. Mostly I access the files using Foobar2000. I haven't played an actual CD in months.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t have an intel base computer but a Mac. So I am not sure these will work?

I heard there was a company that used to do it for you for a very modest fee?

Starting in 2006, Macs became Intel-based. Most current model Macs have switched again, from Intel chips to Apple's own M1 and M2 chips - but these computers remain compatible with software written for Intel chips.

That said, the SACD-ripping app that runs on the computer side of things (there is also another app that runs on the disc player itself) does require a Mac-specific version. But a Mac-specific version has existed for many years. So you are good to go for that.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up media ownership. It is unrelated to the topic of discovering new music, which was the conversation you joined.
May I suggest reading the thread title?

The very notion of a "rare CD" doesn't exist in the realm of 1s and 0s, which is in part why I feel that the Internet is a much more useful resource for music discovery in today's world.
It seems you do not know that not every recording or mastered version is not available to stream or even purchase

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Thank God I joined BMG music club and ended up with over 300 CDs.

I joined one of those around 15 years ago to fill in the gaps in my collection where I didn't want to pay full price for the CD of an LP I had bought in the 70s/80s. Quite cost effective.

bkatbamna

I joined one of those around 15 years ago to fill in the gaps in my collection where I didn't want to pay full price for the CD of an LP I had bought in the 70s/80s. Quite cost effective.
When I was a member, you could get CDs from the so-called audiophile labels as well such as Deutsch Harmonia Mundi, Harmonia Mundi, Telarc, Dorian, Pope Music. It was a great way to build up a music collection. I typically ended up getting 14 or 15 CDs for around $45-$50 dollars, then quit and rejoin again in a couple of months and repeat the process.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Not seeing images, just gibberish. Like it requires a Google account or something of the sort?

No, those are images that I uploaded to ASR. I will make a report in the support forum and see what the mods say. It is probably an issue with forum software.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I use the internet, mostly Youtube, to check things out and if I like it I buy the CD

I won't pay for subscription access and don't copy the CD. I have photos from holidays I took years ago, I can always look at them. More recent holidays with photos taken on a smartphone and uploaded, I have no idea where they are. Could be on several computers and some I know I have lost entirely.

Okay you may say that is me being poorly organised which is true, but the 'hard copy' photos don't need any organising, backing up or keeping track of. They are in a wallet in a draw and I can go right to them. So it works for me same as the CD.

Also I believe there is such a thing as too much choice. I don't want or need access to millions of songs or albums. I don't have the time. A few hundred is more than enough.

Adi777

The most important thing is that there is a choice, and the best thing is simply to have the widest possible access to music, i.e. CDs, vinyls, streaming services, high-quality music files.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D4893AD6-6FA4-41D5-B149-F13F24A1C1DE.jpeg
I have all of them in our living room :)

I considerably more albums as downloads on my server .
( I have the dvd’s Blue rays in our HT room)

I can’t play them without ripping anymore as I discovered that my MeridianG98DH is broken otherwise I used that to play discs directly.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
View attachment 269509I have all of them in our living room :)

I considerably more albums as downloads on my server .
( I have the dvd’s Blue rays in our HT room)

I can’t play them without ripping anymore as I discovered that my MeridianG98DH is broken otherwise I used that to play discs directly.

I can't unsee that chair. What happened? Did someone die in it? I'm happy to chip in for re-upholstering. :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The most important thing is that there is a choice, and the best thing is simply to have the widest possible access to music, i.e. CDs, vinyls, streaming services, high-quality music files.
maybe so, but I have often thought that in a pinch I could get by with just the first six Zeppelin albums, 'Axis Bold As Love' and everything Steely Dan ever did.

Edit - Might need a Creedence 'best of' album too.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom