• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal without MQA

Barry_Sound

Guys, Im running Tidal because I like the app on the Mac and the music recommendations I get.

None of my DACs support MQA. Would there be any benefit for me using the HiFi Plus subscription or is HiFi just fine?

Would try myself if I had an MQA DAC available. I think Tidal can emulate hardware decoding for non-MQA-DACs but not sure if this is 1:1 identical.

Thanks for your input

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, Im running Tidal because I like the app on the Mac and the music recommendations I get.

None of my DACs support MQA. Would there be any benefit for me using the HiFi Plus subscription or is HiFi just fine?

Would try myself if I had an MQA DAC available. I think Tidal can emulate hardware decoding for non-MQA-DACs but not sure if this is 1:1 identical.

Thanks for your input
If you can trial the higher price tier for free, see for yourself as the app does the first unfold. But toggle settings between hifi and hifi plus to experiment if it sounds better.

But I would suggest stick with the hifi anyway, far better value.

Last edited:
OP
B

Barry_Sound

If you can trial the higher price tier for free, see for yourself as the app does the first unfold. But toggle settings between hifi and hifi plus to experiment if it sounds better.

But I would suggest stick with the hifi anyway, far better value.
Thanks, what would be the point in getting an MQA-DAC then?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So mqa get some of both your tidal sub price and the licensing fee from a new hardware sale?

They would tell you it's so you can get the full decode magic though (the tidal app can only do the first of 2 possible unfolds)

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

None, in practice.

But the issue in theory is that the HiFi tier includes MQA content, but it doesn't decode it - so you're getting CD/redbook quality content, but the MQA files ("Tidal Masters") have MQA encoding that reduces the effective bit-depth and therefore slightly raises the noise floor, and does so with noise that's not fully randomized and therefore could be more audible.

Whether you can hear the difference in practice is questionable, especially at normal/sane listening levels.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
None, in practice.

But the issue in theory is that the HiFi tier includes MQA content, but it doesn't decode it - so you're getting CD/redbook quality content, but the MQA files ("Tidal Masters") have MQA encoding that reduces the effective bit-depth and therefore slightly raises the noise floor, and does so with noise that's not fully randomized and therefore could be more audible.

Whether you can hear the difference in practice is questionable, especially at normal/sane listening levels.
Well, the tidal app does the first decode if you have the mqa tier. OP was asking why get an mqa dac if you get the first unfold in software

There is still no actual point of course.

OP
B

Barry_Sound

None, in practice.

Are you saying with a non-MQA-DAC HifiPlus (=MQA) in Tidal will get you worse quality than regular Hifi subscription?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the tidal app does the first decode if you have the mqa tier. OP was asking why get an mqa dac if you get the first unfold in software

There is still no actual point of course.

I think I had a different understanding of what the OP was asking. But yes, I agree - if you're going to upgrade to Tidal HiFi Plus, you get the MQA unfold, and the "render" done by a hardware DAC is of questionable benefit after that, to say the least. So I'd say either way, staying with the HiFi tier or moving up to the HiFi Plus tier, a move to an MQA DAC is unnecessary (and arguably could make things worse given the slow/leaky filters MQA tends to use).

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you saying with a non-MQA-DAC HifiPlus (=MQA) in Tidal will get you worse quality than regular Hifi subscription?

No, and I apologize if I was unclear. My point is only that you really don't need an MQA DAC either way.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While I only trialed Tidal years ago, and found no sonic advantage, I hated their interface. Did that improve? In any case, just go with what you prefer altho supporting Tidal/MQA is a lot of bullshit (and the bullshit is particularly MQA)

ol_mcdonald

Just one more stupid question before this thread gets shut down….where did all the new “Hi-Res” files come from all of a sudden. Were they upsampled, or honest to goodness 24/192 files? Just seems as odd as MQA that seemingly overnight they appear.
Asking for a friend…

dfuller

Major Contributor
Tidal dropped MQA like a sack of garbage when they went bankrupt.

Top Bottom