• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This seems like a good place to ask for suggestions: inexpensive but decent "Bluetooth" speaker?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Bear with me :)
To cut a long story short, "we" (Mrs. H and I) do have occasional need/desire to have some augmented (not necessarily hifi) audio support for, e.g., a Zoom video conference or even (perish the thought!) streaming some background music from our NAS.

I have a hybercheap little Bluetooth speaker (I'll disclose which one if and only if anyone's really curious) which aint' half bad. I also have a hypercheap little Bluetooth to analog adaptor box hooked to the big hifi upstairs (mostly for Zoomin').

I don't have unreasonable expectations of audio via Bluetooth (honest!) but it'd be nice to have something a tad better than the aforementioned little Bluetooth speaker.
Any suggestions/advice? By cheap -- let's say $100 USD tops.

As a corollary/aside -- I might consider a more "hifi" wireless solution, but I am completely ignorant of the options! Anyone who wants to suggest an inexpensive (obviously it is probably not as inexpensive as a little standalone Bluetooth speaker) turnkey "solution" is also more than welcome to share! :)

Thank you all, very much, and in advance :) for any thoughts/suggestions!

Raindog123

Major Contributor
We have a Bose SoundLink Color. I grabbed it at Fry’s a couple of years ago for under $100 for my daughter. And now the entire family periodically enjoys it on the patio/in the backyard. Decent sound through Bluetooth from an iPhone, and battery still holds charge well.

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, I should have mentioned -- it bloody well shouldn't answer to the name(s) of Alexa, Siri, or Cortana! ;)

In all (well... in some) seriousness, I am not lookin' for anything that feels a need to communicate back to the Mothership.
This said, 1) I didn't specify that (mea culpa) and 2) I do appreciate the replies! Srsly! :)

weasels

Some of the Google/Apple/Amazon hardware products have a hardware setting that shuts off the microphone.

Now, whether or not that's actually shutting it off or is a placebo is another question...

FWIW though, when I was looking for just the same thing for my son I went with a JBL Flip 5.

GeorgeBynum

A fair number of the inexpensive soundbars accept bluetooth. As much engineering as has gone into those make them possibilities. There are several in the $70-$130 range, easier without a sub.

cursive

Forum Donor
Not sure if you're looking for something portable, or battery powered, but in the $100 dollar range, I believe that's what most offerings would be.

I've had good luck with the Anker Soundcore Motion +, very decent sound for it's size, has a nice app, and is very portable and waterproof.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Soundcore-Bluetooth-Customizable-Waterproof/dp/B07P39MLKH

If you bump up your budget a bit, a more stationary offering is Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 4. Granted it's quite a bit larger, but still has built in rechargeable battery, so it can be used portable too. On sale at $157, or even a little less if you go with blue.
https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B074P79X9C

EDIT - Just saw the newer model, the Harman Onyx Studio 6 is on sale at $168, so that might be the better way to go depending on which design you like more. https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B089KTST3G/

OP
mhardy6647

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A fair number of the inexpensive soundbars accept bluetooth. As much engineering as has gone into those make them possibilities. There are several in the $70-$130 range, easier without a sub.
Thanks -- lookin' for something (very) portable. Didn't say that explicitly; sorry!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL Charge 3 pretty much put an end to my BT speaker-buying binge a few years ago.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I've had good luck with the Anker Soundcore Motion +, very decent sound for it's size, has a nice app, and is very portable and waterproof.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Soundcore-Bluetooth-Customizable-Waterproof/dp/B07P39MLKH
2nd this, great device. It has a built-in EQ that you can customize with the app, but the EQ stays with the device. So once setup, it doesn't matter who is streaming, the EQ is applied.

And contrary to some competitors offers, it still has a 3.5mm jack.

paulraphael

... I am not lookin' for anything that feels a need to communicate back to the Mothership.

Siri, Alexa, Cortana and I find this remark most upsetting. We invite you to the mothership to explain yourself.

Seriously, we've had great luck with one of the little JBL speakers (forget which one) but with some caveats. It sounds great, certainly better than we'd expected. And is a very convenient size and shape, and seems mostly indestructible.

But the bluetooth connectivity is a pain in the ass. Sometimes it's hard to connect, sometimes it's hard to disconnect. Which makes it a lot like most of our other bluetooth things. We mostly avoid the hassle by connecting with a wire—which has gotten harder now that Apple has banished the headphone jack.

deprogrammed

To cut a long story short, "we" (Mrs. H and I) do have occasional need/desire to have some augmented (not necessarily hifi) audio support for, e.g., a Zoom video conference or even (perish the thought!) streaming some background music from our NAS.

I have a hybercheap little Bluetooth speaker (I'll disclose which one if and only if anyone's really curious) which aint' half bad. I also have a hypercheap little Bluetooth to analog adaptor box hooked to the big hifi upstairs (mostly for Zoomin').

I don't have unreasonable expectations of audio via Bluetooth (honest!) but it'd be nice to have something a tad better than the aforementioned little Bluetooth speaker.

As a corollary/aside -- I might consider a more "hifi" wireless solution, but I am completely ignorant of the options! Anyone who wants to suggest an inexpensive (obviously it is probably not as inexpensive as a little standalone Bluetooth speaker) turnkey "solution" is also more than welcome to share! :)

I have and enjoy this. It is large but still portable. Long battery and plays pretty loud.
https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Bluetooth-Playtime-Technology-Waterproof/dp/B085C9ZGSG

izeek

Plenty to choose from.
I'd say google is your best friend here.
Search best $100 bt speaker. No, 200. You'll get better deals and still pay maybe 100.(lot of discounts)
I bought a jbl flip5 for 99 bucks. pretty damn good. it was originally like 149 or something.
Had it at work one day. My client was oddly looking around the office. He said "Your music sounds good. Where is it coming from?" He was almost incredulous that it was my small bt speaker sitting on a shelf. And it was only turned up about 30-40%. It fills space well. You can carry it easily. Mine came with a case even for that price.

mr.k

I also vote for JBL Charge 3 ( or newer Charges). I have two of them for quick stereo on the go :)
Compared them side by side to significantly more expensive Bang&Olufsens (dont remember the model), and left feeling victorious.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Personally, I'd stay away from anything JBL or Bose because you can almost always find models for half the price that are at least as good.

I have 3 BT speakers right now. I've got one of those ludicrous W-King D8 50 watters ($90cdn) which I use in my car. It's a beast...too loud for my apartment. But it works well in my tin can car which happens to have a tin can built-in stereo. I also have a Soundcore Motion+ ($109cdn) which I use as sort of a bedroom home theater soundbar (it has aux in which is nice). It's quite a nice speaker. And finally, I have a little Tribit Stormbox Micro ($60cdn) for random carry around sound. For me, I find BT speakers seem to have a sweet spot around 50-70% volume level so the trick is to find the one that you can use at that level for the primary purpose you want to use it for.

I have always had a soft spot for portable audio devices - from transistor radios to walkman cassette players and cd players to boomboxes in the 80s. I think these bluetooth speakers are pretty incredible bits of kit. Certainly not audiophile sound obviously, but a lot of fun and really surprisingly capable...

Last edited:
Top Bottom