• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

This is 2022: Why still obsession with USB interface?

radiogram

This is 2022. I would like to understand why many are still obsessed with USB interface instead of using DLNA/UPNP over Ethernet or Wifi?

My understanding is that With DLNA/UPNP, tried and tested software protocols are used to ensure bit perfect data transfer of a music file from a Server to the renderer that has sufficient buffer which may modern streamers have. No SQ aspect or Jitter applies in this streaming part as this is purely a data transfer just like transferring a JPEG or XLS file. So, why people who have streamers that support Ethernet/Wifi still want to use USB and why manufacturers are still supporting USB? It seems to me USB is a draconian interface.

Please enlighten me?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Not sure I follow.

Which two setups are we comparing?

OP
radiogram

radiogram

latency is not an issue because software protocols and buffering already takes care of this, And with 1Gbps ethernet this is less of an issue.
There is software support. MinimServer is available for free and easy to use.

staticV3

Master Contributor
latency is not an issue because software protocols and buffering already takes care of this
A/V sync via software protocols and buffering is fine for movies and YouTube, but not for voice or video calls, video games, mixing and mastering music, etc.

OP
radiogram

radiogram

A/V sync via software protocols and buffering is fine for movies and YouTube, but not for video calls, video games, mixing and mastering music, etc.
Thanks - Your comment made me realise that I did not clarify that My Post pertains mainly to Audio (Music) not Video/Games.

OP
radiogram

radiogram

I want to clarify my Post. My Post pertains to playing your Music files, ripped CDs, HiRes downloads etc, from your PC as a Server using DLNA./UPNP rendering via Ethernet/Wifi Versus using that PC to send the music file via USB Interface.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I want to clarify my Post. My Post pertains to playing your Music files, ripped CDs, HiRes downloads etc, from your PC as a Server using DLNA./UPNP rendering via Ethernet/Wifi Versus using that PC to send the music file via USB Interface.
You mean people using the USB port for flash drives and hard drives?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Specifically for music enjoyment, there are still some advantages of USB over DLNA/UPNP:
  • easy setup: You buy a DAC, you plug it into your PC, you choose it as the output device, you start playing
  • lower cost
  • better software support (how would I cast, for example, Audacity or Winamp for Windows via DLNA/UPNP?
  • (Edit: bonus point): better connection stability

Last edited:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Well it's because some people don't want to turn there computer into a server. Its easier just to copy over desired files or even your entire music library to a USB storage device.

OP
radiogram

radiogram

Specifically for music enjoyment, there are still some advantages of USB over DLNA/UPNP:
  • easy setup: You buy a DAC, you plug it into your PC, you choose it as the output device, you start playing
  • lower cost
  • better software support (how would I cast, for example, Audacity or Winamp for Windows via DLNA/UPNP?

OP
radiogram

radiogram

Well it's because some people don't want to turn there computer into a server. Its easier just to copy over desired files or even your entire music library to a USB storage device.
Understood. But turning a PC/MAC to server with MinimServer is very easy. Perhaps the folks need information and education. I would be glad to post a video of how easy it is to setup MinimSerer. Once you do that you have the freedom of placing that PC anywhere in that house and that too wirelessly.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems to me USB is a draconian interface.
Try reading the UPNP/DLNA SPEC.. USB audio spec is very simple by comparison.

Also, for these kinds of interfaces, you need a vast amount of software stacks to have a functional streamer. That usually also means an OS, which adds to the complexity. It’s orders of magnitude more complex than a simple USB interface. Cost wise, it’s also much more expensive: you need a much bigger CPU, more memory, WiFi or Ethernet interface, etc.

Top Bottom