• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Things that just don't "fit in".

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some artists are difficult, if not impossible, to place in any one certain genre. And this could be the place to post them.

Going to start of with Tom Waits. What is he? A blues artist? A "singer/songwriter", whatever that means? I honestly have no idea, I just know I love it.

Next a couple of Norwegian acts. First out is Elephant 9. Drums, bass, and keys. And a lot of energy.

Bushman's Revenge. Drums, bass, guitar. And a ridiculous groove.

And onwards to japan. Nisennenmondai, a girl band who plays what sounds like some sort of ambient electronica (or "drone" maybe?), but with actual instruments made from good old fashioned wood. Not for the restless. Patience is a virtue.

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Oh, and of course this thread would be worthless without The Captain. I almost forgot. :eek:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Bela Fleck on his universal stringed instrument...

fas42

Major Contributor

Phelonious Ponk

Van Morrison - I suppose most of his songs can be categorized, but they would be categorized as rock, pop, R&B, blues, jazz, celtic...he's a heck of a challenge for those trying to figure out what genre to stick him in.

Ever heard the Goat Rodeo Sessions? Total resistance to being boxed.

What I posted the other day -- David Crosby's 1971(?) solo album, If I Could Only Remember My Name. There are a couple of semi-conventional rock tunes on there , but most of the album resided completely outside of category and sounds as fresh today as it did the day it was released.

Tim

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Tom Waits is a pianist, a poet, a singer, an actor, an artist, and his style is his own...indescribable. That album from the very top of the very first post...I like it. ...And he's big in Japan.

fas42

Major Contributor
The local audio friend has a fair bit of Tom Waits - I don't get it; a lot of it to me is him doing the fingers sign to his listeners - if you're dumb enough to buy this, more fool you ...

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

The local audio friend has a fair bit of Tom Waits - I don't get it; a lot of it to me is him doing the fingers sign to his listeners - if you're dumb enough to buy this, more fool you ...

Now that's just crazy talk... :p

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

I guess Primus fits in here as well. Sure, it's some sort of "rock" I guess, but still...

Love that bass sound.

OP
Dynamix

Dynamix

Tom Waits is a pianist, a poet, a singer, an actor, an artist, and his style is his own...indescribable. That album from the very top of the very first post...I like it. ...And he's big in Japan.

Oh yeah, "Mule Variations" is definitely my favorite of his newer albums.

NorthSky

Major Contributor

My sister Josée she's a big Tom's fan, like me Frank. I will tell her what you just said. :D

fas42

Major Contributor
My sister Josée she's a big Tom's fan, like me Frank. I will tell her what you just said. :D
Oooohhh no !!! Now I'm really, really scared ... you didn't mention my address to her by any chance ... better check the locks carefully tonight ...

fas42

Major Contributor
Trouble is ... this place needs a bit o' class ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Frank, that is pretty awful...I don't think I can watch it more than the first couple minutes that I just did.
It's ok that you're not a fan of Tom Waits; we all have our own favorite artists...but I too am honest...and that stuff above is simply not my bag.

fas42

Major Contributor
Fair enough, Bob ... DAAS probably doesn't translate well over in the Americas, comes from down under, of course, and was hugely popular in the UK - it you stick it out they do very, very clever stuff - obviously the style is very aggressive, but is really in the tradition of Monte Python, turned up a few more notches ...

Don't let it bother you, Bob ... mind you, recent Tom Waits makes me want to use that word "awful" too ... so, fair cop, :p :D :cool: ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What I posted the other day -- David Crosby's 1971(?) solo album, If I Could Only Remember My Name. There are a couple of semi-conventional rock tunes on there , but most of the album resided completely outside of category and sounds as fresh today as it did the day it was released.
Tim

I just got in a 1990 CD release of David's IICORMN. DR13
All told the sound quality of this release is excellent, one of the best commerical label rock albums I've heard. SWEET SOUNDS on all but the couple heavy rocking tracks.
crosby.jpg

Top Bottom