• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

They have murdered "Tears for Fears" ... digitally!

Is this an outrage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes because the RIAA processing naturally boosts the bass and reduces the highs.
But wouldn't the phono preamp do the opposite, reversing RIAA, and the result would be the same as on the CD (if they used the same master)?

MRC01

Major Contributor
Is the bass on this LP attenuated?
Yes because the RIAA processing naturally boosts the bass and reduces the highs.
True but that's a misleading answer. The question is whether the LP bass is attenuated after the RIAA emphasis curve is applied. It often is, especially compared to digital sources that are heavily compressed with strong bass content. But it isn't necessarily.

My point is that DR is a crude tool, just because the numbers are higher (or lower) doesn't necessarily mean the album is less (or more) compressed. The numbers are affected by other factors, and these factors are often differences in the digital vs LP versions of albums.

BTW, this morning I downloaded the first 2 tracks of that album to see what all the fuss is about. It's heavily dynamically compressed with soft limiting to avoid clipping. The louder parts aren't really louder, but just distorted because the compression is so heavy. I applied a simple bass attenuation EQ and the DR numbers shifted up +2. It still sounded like crap of course. If I were the musician I'd be angry at whoever squashed the life out of my music and made it sound so bad.

kongwee

Major Contributor
I think you're underestimating how many people are using Atmos right now...

And I'm not talking about with an AVR.

This is well and truely already 'mass market'.

I dunno. too early to tell. I wonder how many on current top 100 billboard songs has atmo.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
New post by Archimago is up comparing the CD to the Blu-Ray.

I have the sources Arch refers to in this post and he is spot on.
In fact he measured the DR of the 2ch mix-down he did, the actual BluRay 5.1 is even a bit better with a DR13
Thank God for Steven Wilson and all the work he has put into his large numbers of remasters.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
When there's a Steven Wilson multichannel mix of an album you can forget all the other formats, the stereo versions are fully obsoleted and rendered pointless.
AMEN

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When there's a Steven Wilson multichannel mix of an album you can forget all the other formats, the stereo versions are fully obsoleted and rendered pointless.
Even the naive downmix to 2ch is more enjoyable than the retail CD.

Same drama happened to Red Hot Chili Peppers latest album. Murdered as well.

The large labels don't care anymore. Us complaining doesn't even reach them.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hum ... except now I can't play it!
There's no way I'd get a multichannel setup in my current room (even if I got planning permission!). Happy to take it on later, but it aint happening any time soon.
Not having a decent master available for us luddites is a pain and really (really) irks me.

Are there any tools that dumb down multichannel files into reasonable stereo, or is that either technically ill-advised or just too hard (I do realise that Archimago did it)?

kongwee

Major Contributor
Are there any tools that dumb down multichannel files into reasonable stereo, or is that either technically ill-advised or just too hard (I do realise that Archimago did it)?
Dolby Atmos music has the multichannel mixdown to stereo in their protocol. If you have Logic Pro X, you can listen to atmos mix and stereo mix of the same song demo.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I play the BluRay iso (pirated, because limited 2000 pieces pressing) using VLC directly into my headphones:
Screenshot_20220411_164205.png

@kongwee suggests the downmix is already in the data stream. I don't think it is:
Screenshot_20220411_164445.png

It's a weak form of DRM. Once you become a pirate, those worldly barriers can't slow you. :cool:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's no way I'd get a multichannel setup in my current room (even if I got planning permission!). Happy to take it on later, but it aint happening any time soon.
Not having a decent master available for us luddites is a pain and really (really) irks me.

The options for playing multichannel without a mch setup are limited right now, yeah.

1) Use headphone virtualization. Smyth Realiser, Bacch4Mac, etc. The Realiser works exceptionally well as far as I understand, like indistinguishable from speakers. But it's also $4000 and hard to buy. I don't know too much about the other options.

2) Use Apple headphones(airpods pro/max) w/Apple Music. I've tried this briefly in the Apple store and it seemed to work OK? There was a frontal soundstage at least, I didn't have a chance to test this on good demo tracks though. Also, the head tracking lagged noticeably, so it's definitely not as good as the Realiser. Apple does also have virtualization for "regular" headphones but no idea if it's any good.

3) Downmixing. Normally I'd say this is a bad idea, but in the case of multichannel releases with a lot more dynamic range, I agree it may be better. You can use open source tools like ffmpeg to do this with regular multichannel. For Atmos, it really depends on the type of release and the source. From streaming, it's challenging. From a BluRay source, you can definitely downmix the backwards compatibility 5.1 or 7.1 bed layer at least.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I found it surprising that Steven Wilson didn't include a 2ch mix on the BD, he usually does.
I figure he must have been restricted by some licensing agreement?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found it surprising that Steven Wilson didn't include a 2ch mix on the BD, he usually does.
Or it's in there, but VLC doesn't show it as such. The streams itself are 20MBit/s, a lot i guess. There could be all kinds of stuff in there.
Or the pirateur ripped only the multi channel tracks. I'm looking at a rip, not the real product.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
MakeMKV shows nothing but the 5.1 DTS & Dolby files, and the Atmos file. ?

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if Tears for Fears could only afford to pay him for 2000 copies.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if Tears for Fears could only afford to pay him for 2000 copies.
Is this how it works? Because it seems to me the amount of work would be the same, no matter if it's 2k or 20k.

Also, i would think that T4F doesn't have much say in this, given that they are probably just employees at Concord records:

"The blu-ray is exclusive to the SDE shop and is a limited edition product. Only 2000 copies will be available. If you recall, we SOLD OUT of the same quantity of the SDE-exclusive deluxe CD of The Tipping Point in 24 hours, back in October, so secure your pre-order in at the earliest opportunity, to avoid any disappointment."

I guess it just never crossed their minds to simply order more copies, "to avoid disappointment". But that's not their real goal. Real goal is to extract as much money as they can from what is left of the fan base.

"I’d personally like to make it clear that this product was not planned from the very beginning and therefore hasn’t been ‘held back’ for any kind of strategic reasons. It came about after discussions between SDE and Concord towards the end of last year, following the success of the SDE-exclusive deluxe CD (Steven Wilson completed his mixes in December)."

Top Bottom