• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

They have murdered "Tears for Fears" ... digitally!

Is this an outrage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not if you have a multich rig.
The 5.1 and Atmos files are the best there is.
Yep, even the lossy (not TrueHD) Atmos on Apple Music and Amazon HD and Tidal have very good DR.

Much better than even the lossless non-Atmos offerings they are streaming.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Not if you have a multich rig.
The 5.1 and Atmos files are the best there is.
Multi channel is practically not for me. I don't need multi channel to down mix to stereo for the high DR rate or low LUFS. Maybe sound good, also sound wrong.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Multi channel is practically not for me. I don't need multi channel to down mix to stereo for the high DR rate or low LUFS. Maybe sound good, also sound wrong.
The Atmos stereo version has much higher DR than the lossless version on the streaming services.

Different and better mix.

See all my waveform comparisons: Mar 11, 2022

kongwee

Major Contributor
The Atmos stereo version has much higher DR than the lossless version on the streaming services.

Different and better mix.
On Logic Pro X demo song, Atmos project doesn't put on limiter on multichannel unlike the stereo version. I can insert back the limiter, but it will take time to level match the stereo project. I did a test which I can conclude before doing so. I bounce that Atmos project into Atmos stereo. Stereo version bounce which has limiter in place, Atmos stereo with no limiter, Atmos stereo bass attack is better but it is hard to hear the soft sound. Stereo version loss on bass attack, but heard more on soft sound. I can make Atmos stereo version sound like the Stereo version by adding the limiter back. But in the end, I skip this process. Conclusion, it is all about the mix and mastering for different formats.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Anonamemouse

Wilson masters r usually very well done, certainly they r worth the search imo ...

im still looking for the orig lp and cd of the album, could be north which case will have to wait till fall.

In the meantime, did find this t4f lp ...
View attachment 191960

... a quick rip (no cleaning) 'everybody want to rule the world' ...

View attachment 191963

without measuring/comparing further, this looks and prob measures (dr r same) as the orig mercury cd edition, generally the case with early orig cd/lp comparisons.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Conclusion, it is all about the mix and mastering for different formats.
This has always been the case

But the Atmos mixes being released all have higher DR than the non-Atmos stereo versions.

As per my other thread, I haven't found an exception yet

The labels could release higher DR versions for non-Atmos (this has always been known).

But for what we actually have now, the lossy Atmos is better than lossless non-Atmos in everything I am analysing (so far).

TBone

Major Contributor

agsin, that video is just wrong ... my rip above measured the same value as the mercury cd with same master. as usual, they near always do.

therefore a consistent result with near every rip ive measured ... hundreds ... means the dr meters accuracy per a good rip is not in question.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A BR image has appeared on a tracker starting with ru. :cool:

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Love the idea but don't believe the labels would ever allow it.
Once word got out to Joe Sixpack that a low DR=bad sound the push to stop current practice would be too loud to ignore.
Not at all what they want.
Do I detect a pun?

kongwee

Major Contributor
The labels could release higher DR versions for non-Atmos (this has always been known).
They can, but it is complicated I guess for the market. I can only guess low DR rate is really for the mass where people dunno or never care about it. In other way, you have to rely on atmos to monopolised the music market to push down the DR. Convince the mass you need more than traditional LR.

Music1969

Major Contributor
They can, but it is complicated I guess for the market. I can only guess low DR rate is really for the mass where people dunno or never care about it. In other way, you have to rely on atmos to monopolised the music market to push down the DR. Convince the mass you need more than traditional LR.
I think you're underestimating how many people are using Atmos right now...

And I'm not talking about with an AVR.

This is well and truely already 'mass market'.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Word has it the Steven Wilson mastered bluray will have a DR in the two digit range,
Time will tell but knowing Steven I'm confident it will be great
He wrote on instagram that he mastered the Apple Music Dolby Atmos only

MRC01

Major Contributor
With all the comments about vinyl being less compressed, it's worth saying: don't let the DR numbers fool you. Maybe the vinyl has more dynamic range, maybe it doesn't. The fact that the bass must be attenuated for vinyl, increases the DR number even if they don't do anything else. In other words, if the vinyl were the same heavily compressed album, just with less bass, it will usually measure higher DR numbers.

You can test this yourself. Take the compressed digital album and apply an EQ attenuating the bass. Measure with the DR14 tool and you'll see higher numbers. I've done this test before, though not with this particular album.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With all the comments about vinyl being less compressed, it's worth saying: don't let the DR numbers fool you. Maybe the vinyl has more dynamic range, maybe it doesn't. The fact that the bass must be attenuated for vinyl, increases the DR number even if they don't do anything else. In other words, if the vinyl were the same heavily compressed album, just with less bass, it will usually measure higher DR numbers.
Is the bass on this LP attenuated?

Top Bottom