• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

They have murdered "Tears for Fears" ... digitally!

Is this an outrage?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

charleski

Major Contributor
Naw, that's just the way it is.
I believe it was Mark Waldrep that told the story of doing a master for X company and they sent it back to him 3 times with the instruction to "make it louder".
You either do it or you don't work.
The only way around it is to have your own label.
Then you tell them to take your name off it. This is the established practice in many fields.
If you want to take the credit and have it on your resume, then you also take responsibility for the screw-up.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you tell them to take your name off it. This is the established practice in many fields.
If you want to take the credit and have it on your resume, then you also take responsibility for the screw-up.
Maybe he needs the paycheck? There are many reasons to sell out.;)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm just trying to figure out what word he was reaching for. Still am.

No biggie.

I am sorry. I knew it was wrong, but I lack the will to look things up all the time cause I believe that small errors don't hinder understanding. in this case I was wrong though, cause it ended up beeing not understandable. I apologize; I edited it allready.

--------------

So why is it sensationalistic?
Cause you can't realy see what is going on with a graph of 50 minutes or so of span.

I call it murder.

hehehe

but seriously. Do you actualy hear a diference? And if so, is it as big as the blog want's to paint it?

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Check this out:

ALL the existing digital formats are screwed! The compression, the clipping!

Quoting my buddy Danny:
"The sound engineers should be shot.
Out of a cannon.
Into the sun."

LP (DR10):
View attachment 191229

HiRez (DR5):
View attachment 191230I
I feel your pain. I spat the dummy over George Harrison's All Things Must Pass End of the Recording Industry. The upshot of the thread plus a few thoughts from a couple of other threads was:

In many cases it's the record producers who should be fired from a cannon; they often override the engineer. Inter-sample overs are going to be a problem, especially for over-sampling DACs. @AnalogueSteph suggested dropping the gain by 3 to 6 dB when ripping your CDs. He also pointed out in another thread also it strengthens the argument for digital volume controls; a digital volume control protects the DAC from inter-sample overs.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but seriously. Do you actualy hear a diference? And if so, is it as big as the blog want's to paint it?
I only have the CD version, so can't compare. I'm waiting for a BluRay or Apple Atmos version to fall into my lap.

So far the blog hasn't disappointed me, i think they do a valid service of showing bad cases of dynamic range tomfoolery.

charleski

Major Contributor
Maybe he needs the paycheck?
You still get paid even if take your name off it. But I very much doubt that Ted Jensen 'needs the paycheck'. This isn't some newb fresh out of college.

People have been wringing their hands about this nonsense for a couple of decades. It's time to start calling out those who are actually pulling the trigger on the murder. The band itself is listed as the principal producer on this album, and they certainly have a share of the responsibility. But the whole point of hiring a professional engineer is supposedly so you don't end up with amateurish disasters like this. Jensen has been praised in the past for his ability to make mixes 'louder' without destructive limiting. There are many ways to do that, but they take skill and experience. So what happened here?

TBone

Major Contributor
Right, sum bass to mono, try not to cut too close to the last inch of deadwax, pray that the pressing is not off-center, know that the upper dynamic limitation is determined by limitations of the cutting head, thus preventing some dynamics from being audible, distortion inevitably increases as the stylus approaches the deadwax, there's always the potential of a warped record, surface noise, but yeah, other than that, digital sucks.

... speaking of broken records

... how often u gonna mention "mono bass" misnomer.

... near every lp measured left & right shows consistent stereo waveforms compared to the equivalent cd master in the lower freq (nothin below 50hz exist anyway, with the vast majority of masters)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Interesting that the Amazon ATMOS version has way better DR than Qobuz hi-res - despite being lossy Atmos (not True HD)

:D :facepalm:

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the same person/people involved in the vinyl mastering did the digital masterings too
Easy, he gets shot into the sun twice.:cool:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I know Green Day's "American Idiot" had terrible DR when it came out on CD but later it was remastered only in "hi-res" and had better DR overall. On Prostudiomasters there selling a MQA "192/24 source" version for the same money as the actual 192/24 files, what a damn right off. I'm more of a "CD Quality" person because most "hi-res" is garbage mastered low DR shit and CD Quality is enough.

TBone

Major Contributor
Looks like the same person/people involved in the vinyl mastering did the digital masterings too

this dr/compression game is normal practice today, sadly. Today's DR5/DR10 is new DR10/15.

have the orig of the above lp, and may even have the orig cd ... not certain bc not a big fan of this band/lp, tho iirc ... these orig recordings offered huge dynamics ... rip and post waves if given ...

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I copied the tracks after each other and ran them through Perfect Declipper. Got me this:

laI5Knf.png

(based on the 24bit/96khz version). DR9.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Apple Music ATMOS vs Lossless (title track #2)

Loudness wars are over ! Long live lossy Dolby Atmos !!

1646834902710.png

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
... speaking of broken records

... how often u gonna mention "mono bass" misnomer.

... near every lp measured left & right shows consistent stereo waveforms compared to the equivalent cd master in the lower freq (nothin below 50hz exist anyway, with the vast majority of masters)
It's standard operating practice:

It is also, the least of vinyl's many unfixable problems.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I had to look them up. Nope, don't care.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you do facebook, please post a polite note expressing your displeasure with the DR5 mastering. I just did under my fb alias JB. They need to know how we feel.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top Bottom