• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

Hapo

...this is great music IMHO...most great music is basically tragic, no...???...

...I am just getting started here and will be all over the spectrum of today...

....this video is very wrong...LoL...can you understand what is going on here...???....

...it is not new but it is today...

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
...this is great music IMHO...most great music is basically tragic, no...???...

...I am just getting started here and will be all over the spectrum of today...

....this video is very wrong...LoL...can you understand what is going on here...???....

...it is not new but it is today...
Why have you posted like five videos in a row of decades-old songs in a thread about new music? This Missy Elliot song is literally twenty years old. The blind melon song you posted prior is thirty years old.

Hapo

...I am old...some of that stuff isn't...

...it all fits my definition of modern...

...I thought I was succinct...

Last edited:

Dismayed

Of course older music is better because I was better when it was first broadcast.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Not as wrong as your four-dot ellipses. :)

I'm not getting what's very wrong. Surely not skin colour? I do wonder about the hip-hop haters at times but more charitably I expect it's just a generational thing. The singer is singing and there's some dancers dancing. It's all a bit odd—and different musical style and tap instead of rap—but the presentation basically traces back to the 1920s musical. Probably further. This gem courtesy of @JustJones in another thread:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also makes me wonder just how much there is wrong with yesterday's music (particularly opera/classical).

Daverz

Major Contributor
Also makes me wonder just how much there is wrong with yesterday's music (particularly opera/classical).

Many famous operas have ridiculous or obnoxious plots. People put up with it for the quality of the music and singing. For example, though the music is glorious, it's best to not pay too close attention to anything going on the plot of Mozart's Magic Flute.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many famous operas have ridiculous or obnoxious plots. People put up with it for the quality of the music and singing. For example, though the music is glorious, it's best to not pay too close attention to anything going on the plot of Mozart's Magic Flute.
I think most classical/opera is based on ridiculous origins (i.e. ridiculous situations with those in power in europe).

Daverz

Major Contributor
I think most classical/opera is based on ridiculous origins (i.e. ridiculous situations with those in power in europe).

I suppose then that most pop music is based on ridiculous situations with those in power in the music industry. And now it's those in power at Spotify.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose then that most pop music is based on ridiculous situations with those in power in the music industry. And now it's those in power at Spotify.
Who cares about most pop music either? Sort of the music of the masses whereas the classical/opera was the music of the elites? Neither having much in the way of actual taste?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
...this isn't really new anymore but there is something wrong here, eh...
Blind Melon ? I could swear that Ozzy Prince Of Darkness.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Who cares about most pop music either? Sort of the music of the masses whereas the classical/opera was the music of the elites? Neither having much in the way of actual taste?
I imagine the music of 200-400 years ago was about the same as today.
95% garbage and maybe 5% worthy of attention.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I imagine the music of 200-400 years ago was about the same as today.
95% garbage and maybe 5% worthy of attention.
Probably less garbage because more composers went through training to do the job. However, it's mostly formulaic for the same reason. The musicians have to know how to bring it to life. The really great composers had the best ideas and are, I guess, the easiest to work with today for that reason.

Soandso

Probably parents of 1960s ... said the same thing about the music their kids listen to.
True 'dat... that list on the left was a pretty accurate line-up of my musicology. O.K., so my cell phone wasn't working that morning, and no I wasn't up in the tower, but moved right on the other side of the security fence once Hendix said "... you can leave, we just jammin' now" and throngs cleared out (yet the jam went on and on and on).
57129B01-A010-488A-9410-4229B51E0471.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom